View Diary: Senate begins wading through hundreds of immigration reform amendments (52 comments)

•  dafuq? (2+ / 0-)
    webranding, Serendipity

I have dozens of $100K technical jobs open right this second in Reston, VA.  I posted on this the other day in the Kos Work Bank diary.

I can't find people to fill them.  I got ZERO responses here.

Not sure if we'll resort to H1-B's or not, but this idea that there is just a surplus of workers with every qualification known to man is divested from reality.

We have been recruiting for MONTHS and haven't filled half the spots... we're even paying people to move here from other states.

Try working on the HIRING side of this issue for a little while.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:07:05 AM PDT

•  As Somebody That Worked Many Years (1+ / 0-)
      Serendipity

In NOVA I totally understand. I worked at ad agencies, but high-tech clients. They could NEVER fill all the jobs they had open. It was just a fact of life. When I mention that here folks scream at me. Tell me it isn't true. But alas it is.

Now I would argue that NOVA is a different area then the rest of the nation, cause well there is this thing called the Federal government, but I feel your pain.

•  Its a tough market (1+ / 0-)
        Serendipity

I am not in the Fed gov or government contracting but yeah.. that is who we compete against.

Also, if anyone is, or knows someone that is, a college grad looking to get into sales, we are paying up to $1500 relocation costs to move here and do software sales.

We can't find those jobs either.

(Note - this is a major global company that everyone on this site has heard of, if not an active customer of ours.)

Sales is not my department, but we have 30+ jobs open at entry level and a handful for senior sales mangers as well.  Entry requires no experience, senior requires experience specifically in selling software.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:22:04 AM PDT

•  Again, post the ad (2+ / 0-)
          ManhattanMan, IT Professional

What are you looking for? I know dozens, hundreds, of college grads who are bright and shiny and have no job.

Certainly one of them would do.

How much training are you offering? No one can do a job without training.

You are training right?

•  No... not in this position (0+ / 0-)

This is specialized unit within a larger company.  We have entry level positions elsewhere but I am not involved with that and they are not located in Virginia.

We do training to get people from mid-level to senior level, we train on our specific applications and we offer training to fill gaps in between specializations of senior people.

Like I said, these are not entry level roles and we have a lot of people that came in fully capable of performing the job on Day 1.  Of course we train on the specialty of the role but we do not have the headcount bandwidth to teach networking fundamentals to someone freshly minted college grad or certification course completer.  We only hire experienced engineers.

...unless you meant Sales.  Which in that case OF COURSE we do training.  Its a 90 to 120 day training curriculum to train people that have ZERO experience.  Now.. admittedly, I have no idea how that works.  I am not, nor have I ever been, a sales guy and I hope that I NEVER EVER am.

But I do know that I  have an entire floor of my building with almost 200 people (the vast majority of which are fresh graduates or other 20-30 somethings) making some serious cash.... weekly and monthly bonuses, monthly trips to Jamaica for the top sales team, commission incentives, training, seminar trips, and all kinds of other stuff.   ...and in Q4 of this year we're taking over another half-floor within the building to expand more Sales teams for new products.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 12:33:36 PM PDT

•  Then your company isn't paying well enough. (2+ / 0-)
      ManhattanMan, IT Professional

That's basic supply/demand stuff.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:26:47 AM PDT

•  Really? You have $100k Jobs? (2+ / 0-)
      WorkerInUSA, IT Professional

Well, if you cannot find workers for your $100K jobs, then The Free Market is trying to tell you something.

You must raise your wages and make them $120K jobs.  This means that:

- Your shareholders must accept smaller dividends
      - Your CEO must accept a lower bonus, and
      - Your customers must pay higher prices.

That is the way The Free Market works. But the 1% (and the corporations they own) are trying to use H1-B visa immigrants to cheat the market. Especially when the market starts to favor labor over capital.

•  That's ridiculous (2+ / 0-)
        Serendipity, Wisper

You are claiming that there are qualified unemployed people who aren't taking $100K jobs, really?

The problem is that there aren't enough qualified people. My company is also desperately looking for qualified experienced programmers.

The problem is that in this market any good experienced programmer already has a job.

•  I didn't say qualified *unemployed* people. (1+ / 0-)
          WorkerInUSA

They might not be unemployed. They might be underemployed at another firm. They might be making more than $100k.

Or, they might be taking a break, living off savings and spending time with their family.

Whatever. That's none of your business. Your business is the fact that, if you want them to work for you, you must pay more than $100k.

Corporations must enter into a bidding war for labor. For once. Corporations must not get to dictate immigration policy and they must not become the (unelected) decision-makers over who enters the US.

(Also if you raise wages, US college graduates will change their majors and get the training to fill your jobs. Why should any college student go $100,000 into debt to study a technical field? Why, when Corporations will just bring over H1-B visa immigrants to take the jobs?)

•  This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. (0+ / 0-)

and I even followed a link to Politico this morning, so thats saying something.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 09:56:18 AM PDT

•  I sure would be interested in (1+ / 0-)
        IT Professional

seeing that ad of Wisper's. You know, he's getting no response to the ad where he is offering $100K.

I know dozens, hundreds, of qualified IT people, who would be very happy for any job at all. And he is getting no applicants?

What is the ad text? Does he look at the applicants? Does HR screen all ads? How long has he posted it? Where has he posted it?

I know at least 10 people in Chicago alone who are qualified and degreed software engineers.

•  Not a single one? Not even one qualified person? (1+ / 0-)
      IT Professional

Post the ad. You must be looking for that dad-gum purple squirrel.

•  Just standard tech work (0+ / 0-)

Mostly Virtualization/Storage/Backup.

My post made "top comments".  We started hiring 41 newly created positions a few months ago.. we transferred some of the spots to another state where we have people and just added them there (mostly through internal transfers) but are still looking for 20+ here in NoVA.

I've worked in DC/NoVA for decades and its always been like this; doesn't matter if the position is entry level or senior management.  I used to work for a San Fran based law firm and it was even harder to hire out there.

Tech shortage is not a myth.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:24:08 AM PDT

•  Post the ad (1+ / 0-)
          IT Professional

Let us take a look. Hey there are plenty of people on DK who are unemployed - you might get a hit.

•  The link has the summary (0+ / 0-)

Im not posting the actual link as I have no interest in linking my actual company name to my DKos ID.

If anyone is interested, they can contact me or send a resume.  I am not in Human Resources, so if you send me a qualified resume you will be contacted by someone from the Talent Acquisition department to do an online application and schedule a phone interview.  Also, not being in HR, I don't know all the details about things like benefits.  I don't have kids and my wife is an HR exec, so I don't read the details and just sign up for what she tells me to.  But I can tell you we have everything: Health, Flex spending, commuter benefits, 401-k, paid vacation, the works....

Here are the tech requirements.  This is not entry level.  We need a sizable amount of experience... we're flexible, but make no mistake:  You need to know your shit.  IT people know what I mean.  The salary ranges from the high $50's to the low $120's depending on experience.  There is also the potential for a relocation bonus for very qualified candidates.

•    Exchange Back-end Management (2003, 2007, 2010)
            •    SQL DB Backup and Restore
            •    Disaster Recovery/ Business Continuity
            o    Backup software such as Backup Exec or Acronis
            •    Windows Server OS support
            •    Virtualization
            o    Hyper-V, VMWare
            •    Networking Essentials
            •    Switching and Routing
            •    Storage (SAN, NAS, DAS)
            •    Microsoft Certification: MCTS, MCITP (Enterprise Messaging Admin) always a plus.

Fair warning:  You also have to be able to pass a background check and drug test. (Not my rules, but that's the policy for every position in the country at any level)

And finally:  This is NOT remote work.  We will not consider someone telecommuting or working from home.  You need to be IN THE OFFICE in Northern Virginia every day.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:43:46 AM PDT

•  OK, I looked at the ad (0+ / 0-)

There are 15 skills. Are you looking for someone with all 15, or some combination?

If HR is screening, and they want someone with all of these, of course you are finding no one. There are no people with all these skills,

•  I have 65 people with these skills (0+ / 0-)

I just need a few dozen more.

Just rounding out the whole job description to distinguish it from things like Database jobs, or Sharepoint Admins or any kind of development work.  I don't need Cisco engineers or VOiP specialists.

Look at that list.. that is general hands-on network engineering.

..of course if someone is so perfectly tailored to the job that they have EVERY one of them, then they should definitely email me... we will pay them absolute top dollar, rent them a new townhouse and pay to move them and their family here.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 12:04:18 PM PDT

•  So, your core req is (0+ / 0-)

'No.. I don't need every one of those skills, obviously.. I need people with a solid background in this area.  People with hands on skills in Virtualization, Storage (SAN, NAS, DAS) and Backup platforms."

If someone has that, you call them qualified and would interview?

You also say "This is not entry level.  We need a sizable amount of experience... "

What specifically do you mean there? 5-10 y? 10-15 Y? 1-4 Y? What is "sizeable"?

•  If they have hands on skills, they are qualified (0+ / 0-)

and we'd want to interview them.

3-5 I'd say on average... maybe 4-6.... more if they are looking specifically for the higher end of that salary range or are seeking a management position.

The key is the skills.  If they are coming from a large company or data-center environment where their specialized job function was building and managing large vSphere environments on parallel SANs running a distributed AppAssure recovery system or something.. then we'd be open to less "years" and just snatch then up for their hands-on knowledge.

If they worked at a small company where they were responsible for an entire network, they know Exchange well, they ran a P-to-V process on a half dozen or so servers and used BackUp Exec to backup to an on-site NAS.... well, then we're going to ask a lot of questions about how much hardcore work they've done on these technologies and what other things they know.

If they are a hard-core specialized firewall/router engineer.. they may be God-Damned BRILLIANT... and we would have no interest in speaking with them.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 12:21:08 PM PDT

•  This is just my division (0+ / 0-)

...my company as whole has 2413 current open positions in the US, according to my Intranet.

The are in a lot of different states: CA, TX, OK, VA, MA, KY, TN, GA, IL... and that was just what I saw on the first few page.

We are behind on recruiting across the board.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:28:22 AM PDT

•  It's absolutely astonishing (1+ / 0-)
          ManhattanMan

Myself, I have advertised about 6 positions in the last year. I live in the middle of nowhere, in flyover country. In each case, I got 30-40 responses of which 6-7 were highly qualified.

I'VE GOT IT! You are letting HR screen. Here's a tip, from a successful recruiter (that is, me): DO NOT LET HR SCREEN.

if you take over screening, you would find hundreds of qualified candidates.

•  HR doesnt do tech screening (0+ / 0-)

They check for re-location viability, salary expectations, and handle all the admin details of application completion and interview scheduling.

Managers sift through the resumes to screen... Four of the most senior engineers in the department do the phone interview (which is a basic level tech-screen) and candidates are brought on-site for indepth tech interview and a final interview with the director (both on the same visit).

HR has to track everything because they log every applicant and whatnot for referrals, EEOC reporting, any relationships with existing employees, etc.

They also manage the background report, drug test and reference check process. (but those are only done after the acceptance of a tentative offer)

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu May 09, 2013 at 11:49:52 AM PDT

•  Tell the other 5-6 qualified candidates (0+ / 0-)

to consider coming to DC if they really need a job.  We could use them.

Flyover country, this ain't.  ..and my little $100k job will look like chump change if they are qualified to land a secret clearance and get into government contractor work.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Spam (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site