View Diary: I haz critical thinking skills, and I can't go back! (47 comments)

•  I Was Raised A Methodist (11+ / 0-)

I am 43. I recall being like 15 and going through Confirmation. Which is just weird when you think of it. I actually read the Bible and was confused. I said this in the classes. That it didn't seem plausible. The minister called my parents and said I was being difficult.  I think my dad told the Minister that if a 15 year old was stumping him, well .....

We never went to church again.

•  LOL (9+ / 0-)

At about that age, I was in an adult Sunday School class, taught by the minister's wife.

With deacons as students.

It was a real eye-opener b/c they understood about metaphor and poetry and weren't wedded to literal transcription of What God Said so I was quite at home.

I think many parents at the church would have been shocked by what I learned in that class.

But those parents were literalists, as in "This is the Literal Word of God" and that is clearly, well, stupid. The Bible is a series of tales -- morality tales, if you will -- but it's poetry, not history. It's metaphor, not fact.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Fri May 10, 2013 at 01:07:05 AM PDT

•  My Mom Is A Catholic (8+ / 0-)

and honestly her Preist is a "cool" dude. For funerals and weddings I spend some time in said church. Guy knows I am an Atheist and we get along just fine.

But they forced him out.

Huge scandal here. He felt the Liturgy was hard to understand, so he changed it. Folks literally recorded him and sent the recordings to the Bishop and demanded he be fired.

He refused, which I understand is kind of strange. Told them to go pound dirt. Made me like the guy even more.

•  I agree completely (1+ / 0-)
        chimene

metaphor and parables, absolutely. Absorb the lesson, and use it to be a better person and do good for those around you, not 'smite' those who don't conform to your ideology, right?

Anyone who scoffs at happiness needs to take their soul back to the factory and demand a better one. -driftglass

by postmodernista on Fri May 10, 2013 at 01:59:55 AM PDT

•  Methodist confirmation screwed with me also. (4+ / 0-)

I was kinda just going with the flow until ... well, yunno. My good heart intact.

rabble rabble rabble

by jwinIL14 on Fri May 10, 2013 at 01:21:37 AM PDT

•  The Methodist Thing Was OK For Me (4+ / 0-)

I live in the town I grew up in after 15+ years away. The church I went to seemed pretty liberal. Openly says on the sign out front, and this isn't a liberal town, gay folks are welcome.

Heck I recall, and his is painful to say, but when the first African American couple came to church (in like 1982) there was a standing ovation.

There are not a lot of black or Hispanic Americans where I live.

•  when my dad's parents married (4+ / 0-)
          webranding, MKSinSA, jwinIL14, Pinto Pony

Granddad was Catholic, Granny was Baptist. They and the children went to the Methodist church in their town, because they could walk there, these being the years in which you sent children and a mule with a sled(ge) and a barrel to fetch water back to the homeplace.

by postmodernista on Fri May 10, 2013 at 01:51:05 AM PDT

•  when my dad married my mother (1+ / 0-)
      MKSinSA

he'd already been baptized in the Methodist Church, but she was Baptist, so he had to do it again at that church. When they divorced six years later, the Baptist church fired her from her volunteer secretary position. When I was about 14, they allowed me to be the senior citizens pianist, and not a word was ever said about past history, or my mother being what they snidely called a 'grass widow'.

by postmodernista on Fri May 10, 2013 at 01:46:56 AM PDT

•  My Mom Married My Dad 47 Years Ago (2+ / 0-)
        postmodernista, skohayes

She was not allowed to wear a white dress at her wedding.

I didn't know my mother had been married before. I was at the funeral I mentioned in another comment. Some random dude chats me up and says your mother's first husband. I was like WTF are you talking about.

Went to my dad and he was like yeah that happened. Don't ever speak of it again. Never speak of it.

I was like you might have mentioned this to me. He joked, well you have our wedding pics, mom isn't wearing white. Didn't you know.

I was like, nope.

•  o those family secrets... (2+ / 0-)
          MKSinSA, skohayes

some know, and some don't, and FSM only knows what would happen if everyone just told the truth, maybe.

by postmodernista on Fri May 10, 2013 at 02:06:23 AM PDT

•  My Mom Is About My Best Friend (3+ / 0-)
            postmodernista, carpunder, Pinto Pony

Wasn't always the case, but now I am proud of it. When somebody tells me I shouldn't do this, well I often do the opposite. This is one line I have not crossed.

My gut is she was abused. Maybe why she works at a rape crisis center 24/7. Maybe why it was pounded into my head to treat women with respect.

•  I know that my mother was badly abused (0+ / 0-)

she doesn't want to acknowledge now that she told me, but she did, and I saw enough to know that it was true.

by postmodernista on Fri May 10, 2013 at 03:11:09 AM PDT