View Diary: STAMP OUT HUNGER ANNUAL NALC FOOD DRIVE, LEAVE FOOD AT YOUR MAILBOX SATURDAY MAY 11TH (51 comments)

•  And given that the highest rate of increase in (7+ / 0-)

incidence of food allergy is among the poor, I'd recommend donating (if you can) food that is as little processed as possible.

Thanks.

•  Yes good idea !!! And if you donated boxed (2+ / 0-)
      oceanview, allergywoman

items or cereal, be sure it is something with no expiration date...we decided not to donate some items with expiration dates but most jello and pudding mixes and canned goods have no expiration dates and keep a long time.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Fri May 10, 2013 at 02:36:36 PM PDT

•  Low sodium and low sugar (2+ / 0-)
      oceanview, allergywoman

items are greatly appreciated.

•  I did not know that (0+ / 0-)

why is that?

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sat May 11, 2013 at 09:57:32 AM PDT

•  that's simply not true (1+ / 0-)
      BvueDem

LInk?

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sat May 11, 2013 at 02:03:33 PM PDT

•  Not sure if the rate of increase is greater (0+ / 0-)

based on income, but there is an income factor when it comes to allergies.

Link

According to the CDC, poor children have a lower chance of having food and respiratory allergies, but a higher chance of having skin allergies.

The less processed the food is the better for all of us, but it would seem that it would make particular sense to donate hypo-allergenic cleaning and hygeine supplies.

Our family does food donations with some fair regularity.  I shop for bargains and I stock up for us and pop an extra item or 2 into our charity bags in the pantry.  When they are full, we take them over.  In addition to the food bags,  I always create a bag with soap, shampoo, toilet paper, tooth paste & brushes, dish washing soap, and cleaning supplies.  I'm going to be watching for deals on the hypo-allergenic supplies from now on!

Thank you for inspiring me to check out what research there was on the subject.  :)

Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

by bkamr on Sat May 11, 2013 at 03:45:38 PM PDT

•  It actually says the opposite. The higher the (1+ / 0-)
          BvueDem

income the greater the incidence of allergies so I'd like to know what Allergywoman is basing this on

Food and respiratory allergy prevalence increased with income level. Children with family income equal to or greater than 200% of the poverty level had the highest prevalence rates.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:03:03 PM PDT

•  There you go again -- getting us all confused with (1+ / 0-)
            eXtina

facts.  ;-)

To be fair, the report is talking about levels, and  allergywoman's (!) comment was about rate-of-increase.

Often, low levels of anything show higher rates of increase (or loss).

•  Huh? That's what I wrote. Poor children have (0+ / 0-)

a lower rate of food and respiratory allergies.

However, I also added that poor children have a higher incidence of skin allergies.

I did not find anything about the rate of increase in incidence, though, which is another thing altogether.

by bkamr on Sun May 12, 2013 at 02:48:49 PM PDT

•  correct I agree (1+ / 0-)
              bkamr

the original comment by allergywoman said poor are more subject to allergies and the link disproves her comment
              I'm curious where she got the idea from, if she has any links

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Sun May 12, 2013 at 02:58:58 PM PDT

• Recommended (138)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Media (23)
  • Law (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Memorial Day (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Republicans (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site