View Diary: Al Franken and Elizabeth Warren join fight against chained CPI (67 comments)

•  I heard Bill Clinton teeing up his wife's (14+ / 0-)

Again, I say, "Not so fast."

Sheesh, you get like two basically freshmen Senators supporting preventing cuts and people are claiming some sort of victory.  There are 100 people in the Senate for godsakes.  Two out of a hundred does NOT merit a victory lap by any stretch of the imagination and if you're reality-based and do math - you've got a whopping 2% which is NADA - ZERO - NOTHING.

And where has Al Franken been all of this time anyway?  Where are all of the other Democrats who should have said very publicly to the White House and Republicans "shove it" all the way along?

•  He's hurting her campaign (14+ / 0-)

if he's doing that.  Austerity and SS & Medicare cuts are going to become political kryptonite in the next several months.

"If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their booze and then vote against them, you have no business being up there."

by Betty Pinson on Fri May 10, 2013 at 04:37:33 PM PDT

•  He hurt her campaign the last time too. (7+ / 0-)

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Fri May 10, 2013 at 05:01:14 PM PDT

•  good (2+ / 0-)
          Zack from the SFV, elwior

I hope he destroys her campaign.

I'll do everything in my power to make sure Hillary doesn't get re-elected, I'll donate every damn dollar I can to Elizabeth Warren or a real progressive -- anything would be better than a repeat of the Clinton years. This time we won't have an internet-boom to cover up the horrible policies of the administration.

We need real reform, not free trade agreements, not wall street deregulation like Hillary's hubby signed, but we need actual reforms to hte tax and regulatory codes to boost the middle class.

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Sat May 11, 2013 at 09:42:44 AM PDT

•  I'm with you aguadito. (1+ / 0-)
            aguadito

And Elizabeth Warren is who I'll support as well. Now the Senior Senator from Massachusetts, she's already springing to the foreground in her outstanding committee work and by putting forward a .75% interest rate proposal for student loans.
               She is a real progressive with the smarts, the integrity, and the charisma to win in 2016.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:54:18 PM PDT

•  Former Pres Clinton is always present and a (13+ / 0-)

keynote or featured speaker at the Peterson Institute's annual shindig.

At least for the past several years, that I've seen clips of the videos.

Heck, I posted one of him and Tom Brokaw here only weeks ago, talking about 'entitlement cuts.'

In it, Clinton says the only thing that would give Dems pause would be if they [the Dems] were viewed unfavorably for cutting DEFENSE SPENDING!

That's right--it would be their 'right flank' that would concern them.  Not a word about 'the left' or 'the base.'

Some of the videos I'd have to search for.  That one, I can probably turn up in the next couple of days.

Don't forget--Hillary was an active DLC member as a Senator, and Bill Clinton was President of the DLC from 1990-1991.

As I recall, Hillary ran to Obama's 'right' on several issues, if you recall.

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Fri May 10, 2013 at 07:09:52 PM PDT

•  Franken's been co-sponsoring legislation with (5+ / 0-)

Sanders to protect and preserve Social Security this whole time:

Also, way to be the ultimate skeptic here.  We here at the Kos community love Franken and Warren and like to make them examples of better Democrats so you don't need to shit all over everything to be the realist here.

Also, where did you hear this:

I heard Bill Clinton teeing up his wife's Presidential run at Pete Peterson's summit saying that he agreed with Pete, the Koch Brothers and Simpson-Bowles that Social Security needed to be cut.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri May 10, 2013 at 04:40:24 PM PDT

•  If you are dumb enough to think that (1+ / 0-)
        Palafox

the support of two Senators out of one hundred (2 in 100) is some sort of victory against austerity - which is what I was responding to in the original comment in this thread, then you have little business accusing me of "shitting on" anything except your delusional hopes and aspirations that austerity has been defeated by TWO lonely Senators.

Get real.

I heard old Bill make his comments at Pete Peterson's meeting this week.  Go watch the videos of him being interviewed with Bill Gates.

•  I never said it was a victory, I view it as a good (1+ / 0-)
          lunachickie

sign and I don't think anyone else here views it as a big victory either.  It's just encouraging.  Of course we still need to keep up the pressure to stop these cuts so in no way am I delusional.  In fact, I've been active in making sure we keep up the pressure.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri May 10, 2013 at 06:32:59 PM PDT

•  Also, the number of Senators signing on to (5+ / 0-)

legislation opposing the Chained CPI has been growing.  Mark Pryor and Kay Hagan have co-sponsored Harkin's legislation opposing the Chained CPI.  Mark Begich has kept up pushing the Protecting & Preserving Social Security Act.  Hell, I even wrote a diary a while back calling out PolitiFact's bull shit for trying to claim that Senator Shaheen's statement about how Social Security doesn't contribute to the deficit was false.  Even Max Baucus said the Chained CPI is awful and that Social Security doesn't contribute to the deficit.  Barbara Mikulski is also helping Harkin with his push to stop the Chained CPI.  See here's the thing, the reason why people view this is as a big deal is because it's good to hear and see Franken and Warren not only object to the Chained CPI but also be spokesmen in this battle as well.  The more vocal opposition, the stronger the argument gets.  So sorry if I did piss you off and I get what you were saying, I just didn't like how you said it.  But obviously because I've been following who said what and where they stand on this, delusional is the farthest term you should use to describe me :).

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Fri May 10, 2013 at 06:42:01 PM PDT

•  ok (2+ / 0-)
        foucaultspendulum, PorridgeGun

That's just silly. I know Al.  Franken voted FOR extending tax cuts for the rich.  He also supported the war in Iraq.  While he isn't as much if a DINO as Klobuchar, he is no Paul Wellstone.

What I will say is Franken's wife was able to go to college because of social security and he truly believes in the program.  But when the rubber meets the road?  He needs pressure to keep it up.  Because he worries about being perceived as too liberal.

Bad things aren't bad! And anyway, there's mitigation!

by Nada Lemming on Fri May 10, 2013 at 08:54:23 PM PDT

•  You're right that we need to keep pressure on Al. (5+ / 0-)

Remember folks, he barely eked out a win, if my memory serves me well.

He appears to keep a very 'low' profile in D.C.  Partly due to this, I imagine.

As I mentioned above, I supported his run with campaign contributions.  I don't doubt his sincerity at all.  He told the story of his wife Frannie's Dad dying young (if I recall it correctly), repeatedly on his radio show.  And how Social Security helped her family.

But, since the Administration WANTS a Grand Bargain, there are probably pressures to go along with it.

So, let's 'encourage' Al to resist the temptation to support the Chained CPI, etc.  ;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Fri May 10, 2013 at 09:43:01 PM PDT

•  exactly right (1+ / 0-)
            musiccitymollie

This is a good time to send him a letter telling him this is good policy and politics and why.  Otherwise Austerity Amy can and will influence him.  I don't think he is bought, he was already rich.  His reelection will be on his mind.

Bad things aren't bad! And anyway, there's mitigation!

by Nada Lemming on Fri May 10, 2013 at 10:00:18 PM PDT

•  You've nailed it, ih. I will search for some of (1+ / 0-)
      Palafox

the video clips that I've seen of former President Clinton at the Peterson Institute over the years, and post a couple of them.

They are incredible.  Believe me, the One Percent, and all politicians tell what they 'really think' at Peterson's annual shindigs.  ;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Fri May 10, 2013 at 07:01:06 PM PDT

•  I believe you. The Clintons are corporatists. n/t (1+ / 0-)
        musiccitymollie

"Life is short, but long enough to get what's coming to you." --John Alton

by Palafox on Sat May 11, 2013 at 08:29:27 AM PDT

•  Here's one of the videos from a Peterson (0+ / 0-)

Foundation Fiscal Summit ('shindig' is probably more appropriate, LOL!).

I haven't time to search for the 'very short clip' which refers to the portion of their interview that I relate above.

But this longer version also includes a 'glowing' introduction of President Clinton by none other than Mr. Pete Peterson himself, who calls him 'his favorite President.'

And, I've not got time to re-listen to this video, but since Tom Brokaw is the interviewer, I'm fairly certain that this is the same video.

I think that the 'takeaway' from the Summit is that clearly both parties are influenced by this individual, as well as by the other 'One Percent,' who it seems are dictating much of the economic policies in this country (if not the world).

Mollie