View Diary: Plagiarizing SquirrelTerror (172 comments)

•  Itzl's problems were well documented (3+ / 0-)
    AnnetteK, aitchdee, Avila

and I have no doubt that was all on the up and up.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:08:37 PM PDT

•  Yeah, (7+ / 0-)

I'm really dumbstruck.

I don't know what to say about it, just seems too ridiculous for words.

Squirrel diaries!, why?

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:13:04 PM PDT

•  Unless (1+ / 0-)
        Neuroptimalian

It's the tip of the iceberg and "noddy" is no more real than the Easter Bunny.

But then no one has ever faked a character on the Internet or this site before, right!

“I wore black because ... it's still my symbol of rebellion -- against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas.” -- Johnny Cash

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:20:00 PM PDT

•  Im thinking there's something hinky with our (2+ / 0-)
        klompendanser, AnnetteK

squirrel here. Talk about a ravening hoard response to this unfortunate story?

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat May 11, 2013 at 07:12:43 PM PDT

•  You know, I am not saying this is true (0+ / 0-)

at all, I am just throwing this out as a possibility.

If my work was stolen, I would like to get back at the thief in any way I could - without ruining my public reputation.

It is possible that this is what is going on here.

It is possible that it isn't.

But I think Rocket's statements - although a bit on the avid side - are well within the bounds of common discourse here on Kos.

People all have their personal points.  Things that bring them out from lurking.  I find I only venture out if I have something to say that goes against conventional wisdom.  Because how fucking boring is it to say "me too!" all the time.

So if you have some evidence that Squirrel is a sockpuppet - lay it out.

If not, supporting unfounded rumors does not reflect well on you.

•  I can think of many reasons off-hand, (1+ / 0-)
        AnnetteK

but Im not about to psychologize someone i dont know

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat May 11, 2013 at 07:32:38 PM PDT

•  By who? (2+ / 0-)
      second gen, bobsc

I don't understand the basis for your confidence and would sincerely appreciate more explanation as I never noticed noddy or Itzl before this.

So why should we trust any of it?

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:13:17 PM PDT

•  There were all kinds of pictures (4+ / 0-)
        AnnetteK, Smoh, klompendanser, aitchdee

of Itzl that were taken at the vet. following surgery and during the rehabilitation therapy later. The pictures of Itzl with I.V.s and swimming in a therapy tank would be difficult to fake.

Go back and read the diaries yourself and I think you will agree that the pictures were genuine.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:28:27 PM PDT

•  How does that prove (4+ / 0-)
          second gen, bobsc, cosette, Neuroptimalian

they were genuinely by Noddy, whoever "noddy" even is?

You can plagiarize other people's photos too. Anyone checked Flickr for "Itzl" yet?

Once revealed as a plagiarist, you lose credibility. Ask Jonah Lehrer.

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:56:02 PM PDT

•  That proves that there was a long haired (9+ / 0-)

Chihuahua that had a serious trip to a vet whose owner posted photos online. It doesn't prove that it was Itzl, or that Noddy owned him. I don't recall ever seeing a photo of said dog with an actual owner in the photo, or even a photo of Noddy that matches. The vet photos only showed vet personnel.  I thought there were some Kossacks who have actually met Noddy in person. If they can vouch, then I'll believe it, but until then, I have no reason, given the circumstances, to believe Itzl is any more real than squirrels in her yard.

As I've noted elsewhere, service dogs stories are often faked. Some people get a charge out of the attention they get over claiming they have one.

I'd like to start a new meme: "No means no" is a misnomer. It should be "Only 'Yes' means yes." Just because someone doesn't say "No" doesn't mean they've given consent. If she didn't say "Yes", there is no consent.

by second gen on Sat May 11, 2013 at 02:55:31 PM PDT

•  When her dog needed vet care, (7+ / 0-)

and she was raising money, I suggested a couple entities that I know (and one I belong to) that provide veterinary assistance to bona fide service dogs. Not only did she not respond, she didn't even tip my comment. (Which, heh, I don't care about tips, but if I needed money for my service animal to have surgery asap and someone said, call these folks, I might at least acknowledge that).

I've used service animals for years (my current dog is retired from public work for veterinary reasons). I belong to regional and international service dog clubs and attend their conferences when I can. Whenever I've tried to engage her in conversation, the experiences have always been unusual, especially given that she seems to like discussing her "service dog" so much.

I have my own theories. Her "Signals" diary today totally confirmed to me what I had been thinking.

I dunno.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:01:48 AM PDT

•  I noticed she was quite friendly to me, too, (2+ / 0-)
              Catte Nappe, grover

until I tried to talk shop. (I've also had a dog in service, now deceased) Then she was kinda short. But I chalked it up to just being a bad day. I noted the same things you did. And also mentioned some resources that she also ignored.

She got really testy with me over the guy who had the dog who attacked it's previous owner, and THEN he tried to claim it was a service dog to save it from being put down. We didn't see eye to eye on that one. A lot of people didn't agree with me. But I know you can't have an untrustworthy dog doing public work. It's just not a smart thing to do. I honestly think the guy would have had less issue with the order to destroy had he not tried to claim it as a SD. If he just agreed to keep it away from folks, he might have done better. (I don't even know how that ended in the long run)

by second gen on Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:56:06 PM PDT

•  I don't know of that case, but ANY dog that (3+ / 0-)
                Catte Nappe, second gen, Nowhere Man

Shows aggression toward humans is not a viable service dog candidate. He should be washed out/retired immediately. I'm not saying he should be euthanized. If there are legitimate reasons for the dog to react that way, he may be rehabilitated into a good pet.

But service animal handlers owe it to each other to never bring an unreliable dog into public service. It can be hard enough to get public access as it is. One mess-up by one reactive dog means that access just got more limited for the rest of us.

We fight every day in the streets to actually get the rights that the law gives us.

I've never met anyone with a bona fide service animal (one with disability-mitigating tasks that has passed (and can contine to pass) the public assess test) who doesn't "get" that.

Agency dogs, private trainers, self-trained. Doesn't matter. When folks are doing it by the books and abiding by the law, they get it.

When I used a service animal in public, I'd often chat with other handlers and puppy raisers swapping tips and war stories. It's nice to meet kindred souls. That's why I belong to clubs. We swap tips about behavior chaining, recording keeping for the IRS, how often to take the public access test (and can you "cheat" by taking the CGC if you can't find a public access test being offered?), if you're denied access, do you call DOJ right then or bring your business elsewhere and file a DOJ complaint later?

I once met a lady with a purse Yorkie in a mall anxious to explain to me that her dog was her service dog because her brought her medicine. Wow, that's great. I asked her, how did you train a terrier a reliable retrieve because it took my guy a long time to get it consistently. So I'd love to get whatever tips you have.

She said she threw the bottle on the floor and he brought it back until he just understood to climb on the counter and bring it to her when she asked for it.

Okaaayyyy....

It's hard to pull wool over an actual service animal handler/owner's eyes.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 02:47:36 PM PDT

•  I own 5 dogs (2+ / 0-)
              Nowhere Man, Cedwyn

including 3 very smart border collies Border Collies that have been trained to a high level.

I've had several small "hmmmms" when it came to her description of her dog's behavior.  But two very big "hmmmms" came along when in someone's diary she said her dog would sign people's names, and second where in her last diary she said that her dog would signal if someone was approaching planning on questioning her on the validity of her service dog.

Now dog's are brilliant, but I don't think it's been shown they can read minds.  It could be the dog was signalling that someone angry was approaching.  Dogs are good at reading basic emotions in humans and in other animals.  But I don't think her dog could distinguish why the person was angry.  If the person approaching was angry because she blocked him in his parking space, would her dog know the difference?

it could be just that my hackles were up because I don't believe in carrying dogs nor do I believe in dressing them up like dolls.

•  Or not (11+ / 0-)

Noddy raised $2500 in donations because supposedly she had insurance on her chihuahua but it stopped covering knee surgery on chihuahuas due to genetic defects, only injury.

Noddy, time to explain.