View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 5/16 (320 comments)

•  Obama has already promoted one very (1+ / 0-)
    Stephen Wolf

apolitical, centrist judge in Sotomayor. It would be a step back to replace one of the leftist stalwarts of the court with another such judge.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Thu May 16, 2013 at 12:26:43 PM PDT

•  Since she has been a Justice (3+ / 0-)
      wadingo, askew, MichaelNY

I can't think of a case where she was not with Ginsberg and Breyer.

I am a Tom Rukavina Democrat

by OGGoldy on Thu May 16, 2013 at 12:57:11 PM PDT

•  Don't you mean Kagan? (5+ / 0-)

Sotomayor has been pretty consistently the voice of the left-leaning side.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap—if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow—there's one thing you never—ever, put in a trap. …Me." -The Eleventh Doctor

by KingofSpades on Thu May 16, 2013 at 01:39:17 PM PDT

•  Both have exceeded my expectations n/t (1+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades

21, Male, Latino-Spanish, OK-1 (Tulsa: The Art Deco, Terracotta, and Cultural Gem of Green Country!); Currently studying in Madrid, Spain

by gigantomachyusa on Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:03:22 PM PDT

•  Sotomayor is quiet and very technical (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Kagan is obviously the leader and most effective of the left side's judge. It was essentially her leadership and maneuvering that convinced Roberts to uphold the ACA.

by ArkDem14 on Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:46:02 PM PDT

•  Is that a known fact? (1+ / 0-)
          Zack from the SFV

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu May 16, 2013 at 10:16:00 PM PDT

•  I thought it had been well-discussed (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

that Kagan lobbied Roberts pretty hard when it looked like he was waivering in the middle of the cass, and there was some speculation that she soothed Roberts by getting her and Breyer to sign onto his spending clause restriction. But I don't recall exactly where it was and I can't find it now. It was in a very long, legal magazine artlce on the case  though.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 17, 2013 at 01:25:42 AM PDT

•  If you come across an article (0+ / 0-)

that substantiates this, I'd love to read it. I follow the Court but find that a lot of articles about its internal deliberations are speculative.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri May 17, 2013 at 01:30:19 AM PDT

•  all such articles are speculative. (3+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY, JBraden, ArkDem14

We don't really know that much about how the Court operates internally.

by James Allen on Fri May 17, 2013 at 08:32:39 AM PDT

•  We just know that Kagan and Roberts (1+ / 0-)
                  MichaelNY

are actually on pretty good terms, sort of like Scalia and Ginsburg.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 17, 2013 at 11:28:05 AM PDT

•  I disagree (3+ / 0-)
        WisJohn, MichaelNY, ArkDem14

Sotomayor has shown more willingness to side with some of the conservatives on some issues, I think. I still think she's done a wonderful job on others, and think all three of our women on the court are spectacular, from some of their opinions I've read.

by James Allen on Thu May 16, 2013 at 05:56:00 PM PDT

•  Her writings that I've read excerpts from (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

are incredibly boring, dry, and technical. Unimaginative regurgitation of quotes with small, brief interconnecting comments connecting the quotes together or interpreting them.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 17, 2013 at 01:27:39 AM PDT

•  She was criticized for that when she was nominated (0+ / 0-)

It could affect her influence over the course of history, but it doesn't mean she's not otherwise doing a good job.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri May 17, 2013 at 01:43:51 AM PDT

•  She doesn't have to be a compelling (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

writer or savvy user of law to be a justice I guess.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 17, 2013 at 11:24:28 AM PDT