View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 5/16 (320 comments)

•  Sotomayor is quiet and very technical (1+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY

Kagan is obviously the leader and most effective of the left side's judge. It was essentially her leadership and maneuvering that convinced Roberts to uphold the ACA.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:46:02 PM PDT

•  Is that a known fact? (1+ / 0-)
      Zack from the SFV

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu May 16, 2013 at 10:16:00 PM PDT

•  I thought it had been well-discussed (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

that Kagan lobbied Roberts pretty hard when it looked like he was waivering in the middle of the cass, and there was some speculation that she soothed Roberts by getting her and Breyer to sign onto his spending clause restriction. But I don't recall exactly where it was and I can't find it now. It was in a very long, legal magazine artlce on the case  though.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 17, 2013 at 01:25:42 AM PDT

•  If you come across an article (0+ / 0-)

that substantiates this, I'd love to read it. I follow the Court but find that a lot of articles about its internal deliberations are speculative.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri May 17, 2013 at 01:30:19 AM PDT

•  all such articles are speculative. (3+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, JBraden, ArkDem14

We don't really know that much about how the Court operates internally.

by James Allen on Fri May 17, 2013 at 08:32:39 AM PDT

•  We just know that Kagan and Roberts (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

are actually on pretty good terms, sort of like Scalia and Ginsburg.

by ArkDem14 on Fri May 17, 2013 at 11:28:05 AM PDT