View Diary: My coworker is dead to me. (270 comments)

•  Why? Is it any lamer than telling someone they (6+ / 0-)

should stop watching Fox?

Seriously, it's not the lamest response progressives have, but I can't think of a lamer one right now.

Funny, too.

No group spends more time patting itself on the collective back for informed and nuanced thought, yet -- "gotta stop watching that Fox news", "gotta stop watching that Fox news".

I guess it keeps you out of trouble.  No telling what could happen if you put all that informed and nuanced brainpower to work.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon May 13, 2013 at 02:00:44 PM PDT

•  if you'd stop watching Fox News (5+ / 0-)

you would really find out it is a very informed and nuanced position that it is not good for brain cells to watch Fox News.

The lamest progressive stance "democrat of the day" is no different than Bush.

•  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Does that mean I have (3+ / 0-)
        Egg, bythesea, phonegery

to start watching Fox News so that I can stop watching it?

I got to thinking about it after posting my snarky remark, and realized that the top rated show on Fox only gets about 3,000.000 viewers.  That's probably a lot for a cable news network, but not a very big slice of the country.

That stuff has a way of getting out, so...

start adding up talk radio, the internet, friends at work, the occasional talking goat, and...

I start to wonder how many people get a Fox News story as opposed the number that actually get it from Fox.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon May 13, 2013 at 03:04:47 PM PDT

•  CNN is not much better (1+ / 0-)
        wishingwell

These crackpots get plenty of face time on the "MSM" - so naturally people will eventually navigate to their sites.

Conservatism is an obsession with the past ... with little regard for the future.

by RUNDOWN on Mon May 13, 2013 at 06:56:47 PM PDT

•  Respectfully disagree. When they are SO (8+ / 0-)

indoctrinated and brainwashed into believing the unbelievable?  You tell them the one thing that hopefully all others that notice their inability to deal with anything other than their scripted talking points one thing that might stick with them.

Remember.  Their world is all about repetition.  If enough people tell them to stop watching Faux?  One day they might.  Just might.  Allow a question of their own making into their heads.

Logic isn't the key here.

Someone once asked me why do you always insist on taking the hard road? and I replied why do you assume I see two roads?

by funluvn1 on Mon May 13, 2013 at 03:07:44 PM PDT

•  Well, honestly, I think pretty much the same of (2+ / 0-)
        Neuroptimalian, jfromga

the people who ask the question.

Seems a matter of bumper stickers over critical thought.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon May 13, 2013 at 03:25:15 PM PDT

•  Then you missed the point again (4+ / 0-)
          Dirtandiron, WisVoter, Creosote, jfromga

Are you going to help these people to their PhD or are you going to try to speak to them on their level?

This is where we live.

by funluvn1 on Mon May 13, 2013 at 03:39:14 PM PDT

•  *shrug* (1+ / 0-)
          jfromga

I'm sure you have an infinite supply of patience with which to confront the idiocy of the world, and a perfect set of talking points with which to refute it. It must be nice, being so Christ-like. (Not to mention not having a day job to get back to!)

The rest of us must make do with merely human patience, alas. Which means that we, unlike you, are generally forced to either descend into screaming at someone, or just give up, trot out a couple of cliches, and then stop talking.

Funny thing, though... I'm willing to bet that your method of argument and ours are roughly equivalent as far as effectiveness is concerned, on people like this.

•  . (2+ / 0-)
        eyesoars, jfromga

Someone named adolf pretty much summed it up:

"By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise."

If you read over hitler quotes you may be surprised how incredibly pertinent the quotes are to today's political and media environment

"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling the money and its issuance." -James Madison

by FreeTradeIsYourEpitaph on Mon May 13, 2013 at 07:47:02 PM PDT

•  they might think it's a movement! (1+ / 0-)
        jfromga

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Tue May 14, 2013 at 06:23:27 AM PDT