View Diary: DOJ secretly obtained AP phone records (246 comments)

•  Something is up with the AP (3+ / 0-)
    weck, NearlyNormal, PorridgeGun

There is no existence without doubt.

by Mark Lippman on Mon May 13, 2013 at 02:54:36 PM PDT

•  Their board of directors (2+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, Mark Lippman

looks pretty conservative these days.

Link

Seems kind of odd they have a guy from the Southeast Missourian as their Vice Chairman. That's in Rush's hometown and not exactly a big media outlet.

All of print media is falling on hard times, some news outlets will do anything for cash, sad to say.

"If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their booze and then vote against them, you have no business being up there."

by Betty Pinson on Mon May 13, 2013 at 03:50:39 PM PDT

•  Thanks. Insiders who have lots of shares of stock (0+ / 0-)

in their own companies and the companies that give them a seat on their Board of Directors.

If you stop and think about it, they have tremendous power that can be abused just by sending out a little tweet that says the WH was bombed.  If they knew in advance and placed their orders correctly, they could make a bundle in the market gyration as it reacts to the announcement.  They should be investigated.

More and more I find that people don't really think anymore.  They have knee jerk reactions that aren't always right.  Not that I'm perfect.

There is no existence without doubt.

by Mark Lippman on Mon May 13, 2013 at 04:39:51 PM PDT

•  It certainly seems odd (1+ / 0-)
          Mark Lippman

There may be nothing to it, but it bears watching. The 1% wield a great deal of unfettered power these days, no one is watching over them.

by Betty Pinson on Mon May 13, 2013 at 05:15:11 PM PDT

•  What? (1+ / 0-)
          Little

We're going to smear the AP now?

They are far from the only ones to have a Twitter account hacked.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Mon May 13, 2013 at 05:18:45 PM PDT

•  Mark Lippman has been doing this from early (0+ / 0-)

on in this diary.

•  This must be (0+ / 0-)

a misunderstanding and I'll answer anything you want to know.

What I've said about the AP isn't a new topic on Kos.  It appeared in a diary  a couple of weeks ago. By coincidence I had noticed something about AP a week earlier and I started looking for more information.  I learned that there was a lawsuit between the government and the AP that began a year ago.  Then  I exchanged comments with another Kossack last week about my observations of the AP decades ago and today.  As I said in that comment, my observation is that the organization's standards have declined along with the profession in general since I got my Journalism degree.  You may disagree with my observations or my opinion.  I think I have a reasonable and logical conclusion.

Now that I look at my comments here today, maybe they look unserious. Of course it's a concern when the government oversteps its bounds, invades privacy, threatens free speech, spies on citizens.  Since I had researched the AP prior to this new story, I had some considerations that I haven't mentioned yet.  The way I look at every news event is always the same.  The government snooping on phone records is a piece of information that has a context.  It connects to other pieces of information.  When all the separate pieces and parts are assembled, the picture looks different. The alarming aspect of it can be understood better in its context and if a remedy is warranted, it becomes more apparent.

Honestly, in this situation, I reserve judgement because I think there is still more to know. And my judgement only pertains to myself. If the organization broke the law or committed an offense I take it seriously because it does have some influence as a news outlet.  On the other side, I know that the President spoke a year ago directly about this case and his statement was very harsh.  I could find a link if needed.  He said zero tolerance for leakers and it sounded like he meant it.  He didn't spell out obviously how they'd be discovered and any sensible person has to question whether this was the wisest route.

I know you're affiliated with Kos and I'm of no importance.  if you read any of my comments maybe you'll see that I reach out to people like a brother especially those who are hostile sometimes.  As I said, I will answer anything you want to know.

There is no existence without doubt.

by Mark Lippman on Mon May 13, 2013 at 07:01:27 PM PDT