View Diary: A Game of Thrones Recap: The Bear and the Maiden Fair (164 comments)

•  What... (0+ / 0-)

..kind of business arrangement do liberal websites have with Games of Thrones?

I visit Crooks & Liars, Salon.com, etc. & I see nothing but a thumbs up Siskel & Ebert treatment of the Games of Thrones.

The show goes off in a thousand difference directions, has so many names & places to remember you need a spreadsheet to even begin to surmise the plot.

The whole project is saved by the great acting of Peter Dinklage (the princely dwarf, Tyrion Lannister).

Of course, the Lannister clan hates Tyrion, which leads to conflict with this clan over there who hates that clan over here who claims a princess with pet dragons.

Take away the Dinklage character & this whole show is a bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) Monty Python sketch.

To any Republican reading this, I request you write a diary about why Republicans are such assholes. I promise to tip & recommend such a diary.

by wyvern on Mon May 13, 2013 at 07:39:00 PM PDT

•  Most of the Lannisters are just jealous... (4+ / 0-)
      ER Doc, Youffraita, METAL TREK, dewtx

of Tyrion's erotic esurience.

In other words, they ain't gettin' none. And he is. lol

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone" - John Maynard Keynes

by markthshark on Mon May 13, 2013 at 08:11:46 PM PDT

•  Give me a fucking break (7+ / 0-)

"business arrangement?" Are you fucking kidding me?

You know how Daily Kos works, so get off your (imaginary) high horse.

Smart people like smart shows, and want to discuss them.

I'm not even a fantasy fan, and I'm a follower of Game of Thrones (the sexual politics initially hooked me.)

Name the shows you watch, and I'll bet there's a clunker or two I'd slag.

But I wouldn't accuse "liberal" sites of being on the take (because that's ludicrous) if a writer covered it.

Don't like Game of Thrones, don't read the GOT diaries.

•  Right... (0+ / 0-)

..no "business arrangement" for Daily Kos.

The whole freakin website nothing but a money-begging scam for Democrats.  (My constantly spammed e-mail account by Chris Bowers & company confirms this theory).

Explain to me what is "non-business" about that.

And if Daily Kos is going to keep pimping bad TV shows, I demand full disclosure of what angle is being played.

by wyvern on Tue May 14, 2013 at 01:44:26 PM PDT

•  Clearly you haven't read the books (11+ / 0-)

Why do liberal sites like the show? I dunno -- I've never watched it. I have, however, read the novels, and I like them b/c they are ALL about politics. Everything in the books is...politics.

The TV series seems to stick closely to what's in the novels.

So I'm guessing liberal websites like the show b/c it's all about POLITICS.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Mon May 13, 2013 at 08:30:35 PM PDT

•  This. (5+ / 0-)

It's about politics, and for a political activist/junkie like myself...it's perfect. The fact that it takes place in a medieval fantasy world is icing on the cake.

The backstabbing, the intrigue, and all of the ridiculous family situations (because everyone's family has a bit of the crazy in it)...I love it.

I didn't start watching GoT till the 2nd season ended. My brother practically begged me to watch it for the above reasons. I got hooked after the first episode of season one.

The Grand Bargain must be stopped at all costs to protect the 99%.

by cybrestrike on Mon May 13, 2013 at 10:29:15 PM PDT

•  The books may be good... (0+ / 0-)

...but Daily Kos doesn't critique the books.

It critiques the laughably bad TV series.

And yes, Game of Throne is about politics.

It's about medieval psychopaths cutting bloody capers, lying, cheating & making a general ass of themselves.  All due to their unhinged lust for power.

So I can definitely see the  21st century American political allegory in that.

by wyvern on Tue May 14, 2013 at 01:51:29 PM PDT

•  Think Progress has a weekly recap (1+ / 0-)
      dewtx

of Game of Thrones as well.

"I'm not a member of an organized political party - I'm a Democrat." Will Rogers

by newjeffct on Tue May 14, 2013 at 05:40:33 AM PDT