View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Joe Sestak announces Senate run—for 2016 (90 comments)

•  I've watched Sestak since he first formally (2+ / 0-)
    Gygaxian, Bush Bites

came out as a candidate for the House run at Bryn Mawr College (introduced by Ed Rendell).  He does present a bit on the weird side (Mr. Rogers meets Robocop), but if a bit weird was a disqualifier in politics, there'd be about three politicians qualified for office.

Sestak missed a huge opportunity against Toomey.  As head of the Club for Growth - handpicked by its founder - Toomey led an organization that has been openly hostile to seniors, criticizing them for being greedy and caring more for their Medicare and Social Security than their own grandchildren.  Sestak's was a big failure in a state with the second largest elderly population next to Florida's.  I contacted the campaign about this with no response.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

by accumbens on Wed May 15, 2013 at 06:45:30 AM PDT

•  He was going Ds plus split ticket Rs (0+ / 0-)

Which is why he did so well in PA during a GOP wave year in an elderly and white state. If he directly attacked Toomey for being an arch-conservative, he'd have lost the split ticket Rs.

Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for; for none of us, no, not one, is perfect; and were we to love none who had imperfections, this world would be a desert for our love.

by Daniel Roche on Wed May 15, 2013 at 06:51:29 AM PDT

•  He could've attacked him for his organization's (0+ / 0-)

views without highlighting the fact the Club is a conservative organization.  The elderly who you claim would have been offended would not have known about the Club and, even more important, wouldn't have cared if all they heard was this guy was against Medicare and SS.

by accumbens on Wed May 15, 2013 at 06:56:43 AM PDT

•  The downside to that (0+ / 0-)

Is it would have dragged Sestak directly into the doomed argument over the PPACA that sank the party in that cycle.

by Daniel Roche on Wed May 15, 2013 at 06:59:36 AM PDT

•  I disagree. Attacking an anti-elderly stance (0+ / 0-)

would have stood on its own, especially in PA.  In my mind, there is no excuse for failing to go after Toomey on this.  Despite his military experience and bearing, Sestak is just another chickenshit Dem who is afraid to get down and dirty and really fight with the Repubs.  I voted for him last time and would do so again, but no more money and no more time until he shows me he's willing to brawl.  In fact, I got an email appeal this morning and deleted it.

by accumbens on Wed May 15, 2013 at 07:51:36 AM PDT

•  Toomey benefitted from (1+ / 0-)
      accumbens

not having to show his wares during the primary so much.  When he ran against Specter previously his rightwing slip was showing a lot more.  Not so much in 2010.  And if they keep quiet the Club for Growthers can slip on by - See Jim Gerlach.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed May 15, 2013 at 07:26:04 AM PDT

•  I also raised the issue with Lois Murphy's (0+ / 0-)

campaign against Gerlach, which I did much volunteer work for.  Ignored.  I did a letter to the editor publsihed raising the Club and Steve Young's (founder) position on entitlements and blessing of Gerlach.

Frankly, the failure of Murphy and then Sestak to use this really soured me on the Dems.  They just don't fight hard enough and I'm fed up with them.

by accumbens on Wed May 15, 2013 at 07:46:02 AM PDT

•  accumbens, please check out my comment about (0+ / 0-)

Sestak's affiliation with 'No Labels.'

I suspect that he didn't MISS AN OPPORTUNITY (from what I've read).

If I were a senior voter in PA, I'd be frantically trying to find a true progressive Senatorial candidate.

I truly don't think that it's any accident (or oversight) that they didn't answer your entreaties on Social Security and Medicare.

Fiscal conservative Dems often avoid these issues.  I hope that you continue to try to solicit his stance.  I suspect that he will 'parse words,' and/or continue to skirt the issue of 'entitlement' reform.

The 'No Labels' organization is absolutely over-the-top when it comes to issues of 'austerity'--which means cutting Social Security, Medicare, etc.

I'll try to see if I can find and post one or two of the C-Span videos of former CBO Director David Walker, discussing 'No Labels.'  I can't promise, because it is SO time consuming.  I had a couple of them bookmarked (but on a computer that I no longer have).

This organization hides behind 'putting America first,' in their quest to as Senator Manchin just stated "make it MORE EFFICIENT."  We all know what that means--CUT the heck out of social programs!

Hope you 'update' any responses you get on the issue of entitlement reform.  Maybe he will take the 'right side,' after all.  I sure hope so.  [But I would need to see a very strong statement of support from him, before I would believe it.]

Mollie