View Diary: Climate change isn't AN issue, it's THE issue (214 comments)

•  I want to know what to do. I have spent years (9+ / 0-)

writing letters, attending protests, calling those in Congress, reducing my own carbon footprint....what else can we do?  We only have a few years before this might be unstoppable.  We are preaching to the choir here.  What will make a difference?

•  kxl is the key, right now (10+ / 0-)

we must keep up the pressure. if obama rejects kxl, it will be a major turning point. and it also is important that we all assess our own lifestyles, and do what we can to cut our own carbon footprints.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sun May 19, 2013 at 10:36:03 AM PDT

•  stop thinking activism, think JOBS (0+ / 0-)

Fear isn't going to shift votes. Fear isn't going to put a green majority in the House. The way to work on this issue is to start fighting it as a jobs issue. We have to beat the Chinese or we're falling dangerously behind in the JOBS war. This is a clear and present danger.

The choir has been singing DOOOOOM or ACT NOW since the 70s. I dispute none of the urgency but I don't think the strategy is going to work.

I just rambled in a down stream post. I doubt the echo chamber has much interest. But if anyone cares to dispute my theory hopefully you can show me how Keystone activism presents a path towards retaking the House. Because even stopping Keystone, which would be awesome, would be like building a sand castle on the beach because of the overall US and global industrial footprint. The tide of the bill for the industrial revolution is coming in. But we're the movement that's been crying wolf since The Population Bomb and we aren't going to shift any votes with this. It has to be JOBS.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Sun May 19, 2013 at 11:24:13 AM PDT

•  As someone who has been raising the issue... (9+ / 0-)

...of green jobs since around mid-1978 and was pushing the issue here before Barack Obama was a household name, and wrote a couple of dozen pieces like Green public investment should be a key prt of America's industrial policy and Our future depends on green public investment and Making It in America: Building the New Economy.

So I think you could say I get it.

But creating millions of such jobs will take some time (the economy already has produced a significant number of green jobs in the past few years) and the decision on Keystone XL is going to be announced in the next eight or nine months. Defeating it, even though victory is unlikely, must be a focus right now.

by Meteor Blades on Sun May 19, 2013 at 11:59:02 AM PDT

•  two things at once (1+ / 0-)
            Meteor Blades

(site keeps crashing on submit so if there are multiple identical replies apologies)
            I've followed your work here and you definitely get it. However I don't think we (by which I mean the overall activist community) are making a lot of progress in breaking down the tribal barriers involved. The choir does not need preaching to on this issue, we also get it.

I also think that two things can be done at once. And that the overall Democratic Party, from the Clinton/Obama centrists to the left of center, have to start presenting a way forward rather than the politics of fear. We - and here I mean the greens and for what it's worth I was selling the Whole Earth Catalog over the counter during the Nixon Administration (under aged at the time cough ...) - aren't getting much electoral mileage out of "we're not the other psychos." People want/need to work for something. See: 2008 though all they/we ended up working for was rhetoric. The outside of echo chamber vast majority don't turn out for an inside game of inches (see: 2010).

Their side uses fear to great effect. Our side has been predicting doooom within the next few years since the 70s - I was guilty of this in the 70s. Now doooom may be upon us but we aren't going to retake the House by making that argument. By making the JOBS FOR THE FUTURE argument we may have a chance. We can and should continue to fight Keystone and it would be great to beat it. But turning the great ship industrial revolution towards a sustainable future can't be sold to the voter through fear. We're the movement that cried wolf. The rest of the voters barely listen (and I'd lovelovelove to be wrong about this)

We can do two things at once. Strategically fear isn't going to work. Tactically everyone who gets it is already here.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Sun May 19, 2013 at 12:25:10 PM PDT

•  Two things: 1) I agree that fear per se... (2+ / 0-)
              jgnyc, Laurence Lewis

...won't sell what needs to be sold. That doesn't mean the reasons for fear aren't real. 2) The problem is that not enough people who are on our side on most issue do get it. We see evidence here of that every day.

by Meteor Blades on Sun May 19, 2013 at 01:22:54 PM PDT

•  the fear is too $##@ real. (0+ / 0-)

> 2) The problem is that not enough people who are on our side on most issue do get it.

That's "a" problem. Another problem is the voters who are basically tribally against whatever we're for because ... [fill in rant about current crazy GOP] ... are against this because they don't want to give the hippies another win. We saw that with Clinton, we're seeing that with Obama. See Kos's stuff on the electric car.

We need a movement that can crumble some of these barriers and I think jobs is the only one that might have legs. Tactically, fight it. Figure some House districts and target.

Keep up the good work BTW. The front page in these parts is welcome literate sanity.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Sun May 19, 2013 at 01:51:57 PM PDT

•  I think the divestment movement (6+ / 0-)

being pushed by 350.org is an effective place to put efforts.  We need to attack the money flow into fossil foolish projects.  They is why KXL has taken on so much importance.  It is one huge step down the road to foolish investment into infrastructure that should be diverted into renewable infrastructure.

If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about shit - Holy Shit.

by John Crapper on Sun May 19, 2013 at 10:42:33 AM PDT