View Diary: What's Happenin'? 5.22.13 (102 comments)

•  Envious about your Scahill experience. (14+ / 0-)

I've seen Hedges, Amy Goodman, Bill McKibben, Cornel West, Patch Adams, Ralph Nader... on a different note, Sherman Alexie and David Sedaris... Always fascinating to see and hear brilliant people in person.

Your pictures are EXCELLENT!

Glad you were able to make it, I remember you mentioning you were coming down with something.

Oh, and you're right, brave, bright people like Scahill are the ones who deserve our adulation and medals.

How do you feel about Palast?

Re: "...will the American people notice, or are they dumb as sticks to quote the social historian Morris Berman who blames the culture for our problems." - don midwest. don, I'd like you to meet Woody and Twiggy. ☮ ♥ ☺

by Words In Action on Wed May 22, 2013 at 06:03:18 AM PDT

•  Along those lines, maybe we could talk kos (8+ / 0-)

(or Netroots) into awarding DKos Medals for High-Risk Investigating Reporting in the service of the public interest or some such. I'm sure we could raise the funds to produce it.

If not, how about one from the DFH brigade? :)

by Words In Action on Wed May 22, 2013 at 06:35:03 AM PDT

•  Scahill Q&A (7+ / 0-)

I like Scahill and applaud his movie. Clearly, he will never again be offered a chance to be embedded with troops again. So he stood up for his principles with the movie.

But I disagree with Scahill's logic telling the young man that unless he stops paying taxes (as protest), then he is complicit to the wars. Getting fined and jailed by the IRS (the collection agency of the war machine) will not help stop the criminal wars. Better to put your energy to protests that create public awareness. And of course we know that neither Dems nor Reps will stop the madness -- so there's that too.

Yeah, I know he said Change. But c'mon, Cuts to Social Security?! This is not the Change I was looking for.

by CitizenOfEarth on Wed May 22, 2013 at 06:44:27 AM PDT

•  I don't know much about (6+ / 0-)

Palast.  Should I do more research?  What I do know about him makes me think he has some fascinating research but for some reason that I can't put my finger on, I'm cautious about him.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:30:48 AM PDT

•  I like him (1+ / 0-)
        ek hornbeck

His stuff has always rung true and prescient to me. Some may think his rants over the top, but the homework always seems solid. He's very strong on Voting-related scams and crimes...

I've read Armed Madhouse and The Best Democracy Money Can Buy: The Truth About Corporate Cons, Globalization and High Finance Fraudsters, but haven't gotten to Vulture's Picnic: In Pursuit of Petroleum Pigs, Power Pirates, and High-Finance Carnivores or the latest: Billionaires and Ballot Bandits: How to Steal An Election In 9 Easy Steps, with Comics by Ted Rall (whom I know, spent time with at Occupy in D.C.; read his Anti-American Manifesto ('10)), and intro by RFK, Jr.

Palast is best known in his native USA as the journalist who, for the Observer (UK), broke the story of how Jeb Bush purged thousands of Black Florida citizens from voter rolls before the 2000 election, thereby handing the White House to his brother George. His reports on the theft of the 2000 and 2004 US elections, the spike of the FBI investigations of the bin Ladens before September 11, the secret State Department documents planning the seizure of Iraq's oil fields have won him a record six Project Censored awards for reporting the news American media doesn't want you to hear. "The top investigative journalist in the United States is persona non grata in his own country's media." [Asia Times.] He returned to America to report for Harper's Magazine.

Palast's Sam Spade style television and print exposés about financial vultures, election manipulations, War on Terror and globalization,  are seen on BBC's Newsnight and Amy Goodman's Democracy Now!

Palast, who has led investigations for governments on three continents, has an academic side: the author of Democracy and Regulation, a seminal treatise on energy corporations and government control was commissioned by the United Nations based on his lectures at Cambridge University and the University of São Paulo.

Beginning in the 1970s, having earned his degree in finance at the University of Chicago studying under Milton Friedman and free-trade luminaries, Palast went on to challenge their vision of a New Global Order, working for the United Steelworkers of America, the Enron workers' coalition in Latin America and consumer and environmental groups worldwide.

In 1998 Palast went undercover for Britain's Observer, worked his way inside the prime minister's inner circle and busted open Tony Blair's biggest scandal, "Lobbygate," chosen by Palast's press colleagues in the UK as "Story of the Year." As the Chicago Tribune said, Palast became a "fanatic about documents--especially those marked "secret and confidential" from the locked file cabinets of the FBI, the World Bank, the US State Department and other closed-door operations of government and industry--which regularly find their way into his hands. The inside information he obtained on Rev. Pat Robertson won him a nomination as Britain's top business journalist.

Palast is Patron of the Trinity College Philosophical Society, an honor previously held by Jonathan Swift and Oscar Wilde. His writings have won him the Financial Times David Thomas Prize--and inspired the Eminem video, Mosh. "An American hero," said Martin Luther King III. In the BBC documentary, Bush Family Fortunes, Palast exposed George Bush Jr.'s dodging the Vietnam War draft. Greg Palast, says Noam Chomsky, "Upsets all the right people."

Palast won the George Orwell Courage in Journalism Award for his BBC documentary, Bush Family Fortunes.

by Words In Action on Wed May 22, 2013 at 09:50:40 AM PDT

•  Oh and about the pictures (8+ / 0-)

I had a great picture posed of me with Scahill but the guy who had my camera was standing too close and it would not take the picture.  I had the zoom lens on and you have to be a good distance away or it will not focus.  If I had realized that I would have asked him to move back but things were rushed so it was a no go.  Too bad.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:35:02 AM PDT

•  Bummer. (2+ / 0-)
        blueoasis, ek hornbeck

You'll just have to catch him on the next book tour!

Philly Library, btw. Brings back memories.

by Words In Action on Wed May 22, 2013 at 09:51:47 AM PDT