Skip to main content

View Diary: Donations to 501(c)4's are not tax-deductible. Good. Why are those to 501(c)3's? (88 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  putting aside political reality, (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Kevskos

    I'd love to see the c3 reserved for two things: bona fide schools and relief of the poor.  no think tanks, no arts, no media critique.

    •  Artists do provide relief to the poor (no snark). (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Dracowyrm, elfling, Flying Goat

      Practically speaking, there's a large educational component to the work of many (c)3-qualified arts entities.

      From year-round benefits to the poor such as school visits and museum entry subsidies, to individual events like your local symphony's town-square concert on July 4--arts organizations can and do provide the "relief" of an experience with the arts.

      As somebody whose entire exposure to the arts as a kid was via freebies, I assure you that the school field trips to the Shakespeare Festival, the Symphony and the Art Institute nourished my hungry mind and spirit.

      •  sure, there's a faux-educational component. (0+ / 0-)

        I'd prefer to see the educational prong of charity reserved exclusively for actual schools.  For orgs that aren't schools or for relief of the poor, maybe a deduction worth 50% of the contribution.

        For every kid that was helped by field trips to the symphony, I'm sure 99 were indifferent at best.  Art can pay more of its own way.  

        •  Wrong. Not faux. (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          mad cat, Flying Goat

          And there are a lot of OTHER public-benefit functions besides those you name which are worthy. How about institutions which restore habitat for biodiversity in areas destroyed by enterprise, like mountaintop coal mining? Or which conserve land to begin with, to enable ecosystems to continue to function? You going to tax The Nature Conservancy on all of its land holdings (making it impossible for them to have any)?

          Or what about organizations which provide education to underserved populations on issues like health, disease prevention, birth control, etc...none of which happens in schools?

          Libertarian solutions tend not only to be based in a primitive understanding of economics, but also to be far to theoretical and one-size-fits-all. It's a complex world. What you propose in the above would be devastating to the most vulnerable people of this country, and the world.

          Have a flagon and discuss the news of the day at the sign of the Green Dragon, or hear me roar on Twitter @MarkGreenFuture

          by Dracowyrm on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:37:51 AM PDT

          [ Parent ]

        •  I'd throw in medical research... (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          tle, Dracowyrm

          With the stipulation that all results of the research become public domain.

          •  Flying Goat - the "public domain" challenge (0+ / 0-)

            The initial break-through invention typically represents about 10% of the total cost to get a new drug through development, clinical trials, and production. It's fine to have the original research be in the public domain, but where does the other 90% of the money come from to actually make the invention useful to improve people's lives?

            "let's talk about that"

            by VClib on Mon May 20, 2013 at 09:33:55 AM PDT

            [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site