View Diary: GOP "Scamdal"-mongering Just Reminds People Why They Hate Republicans (250 comments)

•  And some of them would say similar simplistic (1+ / 0-)
    Beetwasher

things to rationalize hating on folks like us.

I don't think it (hating on people about politics) gets us anywhere other than the mess we find ourselves in.

•  There is such a thing as reality. (4+ / 0-)

You can't just derive your morality by averaging what people say.  The GOP is objectively amoral and psychopathic, and there is no possible way to call the positions taken by its grassroots (let alone officialdom) legitimate differences of opinion.  They support torture, call for mass-murder and wars of aggression, they deny science and demand the legal imposition of their sectarian religious beliefs, on and on.

They are wrong.  They are Bad People.  I know it's hard for gentle souls to admit, but Bad People exist, and not all of them advertise that fact in glowing neon signs on their foreheads.  They reveal themselves when you ask them to make important decisions, and prove where their values lay.  Just because you like someone who is Republican doesn't mean they're not evil.  Al Capone was to all reports a very fun guy to be around.  So were a number of Nazi generals.  So, I'm sure, were plenty of Klansmen.

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Sun May 19, 2013 at 07:00:07 PM PDT

•  one of the things I find most distasteful (2+ / 0-)
        Beetwasher, JerryNA

about the right is that they have a tendency to claim that their monolithic version of "truth" (whether it's based on "patriotism" or "christian values" or "constitutionality") entitles them to demonize people who don't see things they way they do.

•  And one of the things about our side (3+ / 0-)

that makes us so vulnerable to the heinousness of the right - and the progress we make so fragile - is that sometimes we tolerate intolerance, try to pacify insatiable greed, and try to argue with shameless liars who take sadistic pleasure in exploiting our naivete.

We forget that the consequences of these decisions are real, and every liar we tolerate is some number of honest people who end up deceived by that tolerance into believing that there are legitimate disagreements between science and Creationism, climate science and climate denial, human rights and the "patriotism" of fascists, etc.  Every mass-murdering piece of dogshit we try to rationalize as misguided is a pile of human corpses stacked mountain-high.  That's what I've never understood about pacifism - it claims to be moral, and yet refuses all responsibility for the consequences on third parties of failing to fight evil.

And there's just no possible moral conception where what the GOP does is not evil incarnate.  None.  Try to imagine any self-consistent moral code they could possibly adopt, and they will cut it in half and apply all the inconvenient, unpleasant obligations to others and all the good, convenient, desirable things only to themselves.  Their morality is the morality of bacteria - i.e., none.  Everything they do is autopilot instinct for power.

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Sun May 19, 2013 at 10:36:18 PM PDT

•  The People Are Not Evil, But The Ignorance Is (4+ / 0-)
        Urizen, Chi, Troubadour, JerryNA

Perhaps if it's willful it's even moreso. But there are still some people, even avowed Republicans who are not beyond redemption.  I have a tough time with words like "evil". I think it applies more often to ideas and concepts and behaviors and not necessarily specifically to people, though there are some people to whom it can apply specifically, IMO (Cheney and his ilk come to mind).

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music

by Beetwasher on Mon May 20, 2013 at 08:47:32 AM PDT

•  People are what they do. (1+ / 0-)
          Beetwasher

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Mon May 20, 2013 at 12:24:45 PM PDT

•  And Their Behavior is Often Complex and (0+ / 0-)

Contradictory and not easily fitted into tight little categories and labels.

Does a vote for George Bush negate a lifetime of exemplary military service for example?

by Beetwasher on Mon May 20, 2013 at 01:39:42 PM PDT

•  Um, yes? (0+ / 0-)

Here's what you just asked, rephrased to be more detailed: "Does endorsing and materially contributing to the mass-murder of hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children; the torture and brutal murders of thousands of detainees; and the overthrow of the US Constitution negate a verbal oath to do the opposite taken by members of the military?"  The answer is yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Mon May 20, 2013 at 01:46:12 PM PDT

•  That's A Judgement Call, You Judge Harshly (0+ / 0-)

I'm more forgiving. It's your perogative to be harsh, but I accept that people are more complex than that, and understand that most people are not as deep or aware of the implications of all their actions. Does that excuse their behavior? No. Does it put it in context? Yes.

I don't judge people like that. I recognize complexity of human behavior.  I allow that people can learn, grow and change and achieve redemption, otherwise we are all, everyone of us almost certaionly guilty by association by allowing our country to commit any number of atrocities.

by Beetwasher on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:23:19 PM PDT