View Diary: GOP "Scamdal"-mongering Just Reminds People Why They Hate Republicans (250 comments)

•  Have you even read (1+ / 0-)
    BradyB

the IG report? The news? Seriously? They focused on conservative labels (only). They admit they were not "dispassionately and impartially investigating people" yet you defend them? Nixon would be proud. Hey next time it could be "progressive, liberal, community" but you would be OK with that under a republican right?

your opinion:

whose single overwhelming political philosophy consists of "I shouldn't have to pay taxes, because rich people are gods who should be worshiped and obeyed"?
    Shouldn't guide the IRS in a fair approach to their job.
    •  So if there were, for instance, objective data (4+ / 0-)
      Cpqemp, DeadHead, Beetwasher, JerryNA

that calling for tax evasion were a reasonable predictor of actual tax evasion, the IRS should not take that into consideration?  And presumably other enforcement agencies should not investigate people who have threatened violence when violence occurs, or who brag about theft when theft occurs?  In other words, all of reality needs to be thrown out the fucking window to protect conservatives.

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Sun May 19, 2013 at 07:28:17 PM PDT

•  Your dogma aside, have you read (1+ / 0-)
        BradyB

the report? Jeez. Again the URS said they were wrong. The president said they were wrong. Why can't you? IS your ideology so fundamental to your existence that reality can't intrude?

What objective data do you refer too? Do you have their applications? In short, what the heck are you talking about? You hate the tea party fine. Many do. That is no reason for the IRS to target all applications with certain words in the application. Nixon would be proud. Are you?

Again, what if the words liberal, progressive, or community were used? How would you feel then?

And really, why all the cursing? Surely your mother taught you better.

•  Then why isn't that the end of the story? (3+ / 0-)
          DeadHead, Beetwasher, JerryNA

The IRS says they're wrong and the President immediately fired the guy responsible - where's the basis of further investigation?  Only from the perspective of total sociopaths (like Republicans) would this integrity smell like "weakness."  The fact is they don't give a shit: It's just another opportunity to try to nullify an election that didn't go their way.  The story here is not the IRS: It's the GOP.

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Sun May 19, 2013 at 08:33:43 PM PDT

•  No that is (possibly) (1+ / 0-)
            BradyB

the end of the story. Is is why we have a DOJ investigation. It is why people like me cannot believe so many like you think it is OK for the IRS to target political groups. You are ranting about how this is made up. Not me. You must be dreaming of a return to Nixon.  Pathetic.

•  Tell you what. (2+ / 0-)
              DeadHead, Beetwasher

I'll start a political group called I'm Going to Steal Your Car.  The platform of this group is...I'm going to steal your car.  I will take any political position, and support any policy, that will help me steal your car and limit the possibility that I will be held legally accountable for it.  I will repeatedly make you aware of the existence of this "political" platform, and subtly hint at threats of violence if you dare to stop me from stealing your car.  If your car disappears, according to you, you now have a moral obligation to forget everything I've said and don't mention my name to the police.

Process defines product.

by Troubadour on Sun May 19, 2013 at 08:45:35 PM PDT

•  How many of the groups that were, and I use (1+ / 0-)
              JerryNA

the term guardedly, targeted had their tax-exempt status denied?

I'm not consumed with this so-called scandal so I'm not as up-to-date as you are. Just asking the question.

Inspiration is hard to come by. You have to take it where you find it. --- Bob Dylan.

by figbash on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:51:03 AM PDT

•  There is a difference between abuse and a mistake. (3+ / 0-)
          Troubadour, figbash, JerryNA

I'm looking forward to a thorough investigation into these accusations.  Just like I look forward to every scandal Republicans want to investigat.  I am also looking forward to the investigations on Republican scandals that will ensue.

•  Then defend that position (1+ / 0-)
            BradyB

"I'm looking forward to a thorough investigation into these accusations." Don't make excuses like this diarist did.

And we already have the IG report instigated a year ago and recently released which admits the IRS was improper in their handling of these cases. Unlike the diarist, you may want to read it before making any assumptions.

•  Well.... the majority of groups that use the terms (1+ / 0-)
          Troubadour

"liberal, progressive, or community" actually have their main objective as promoting the general welfare. Not so the case with groups identifying as "tea party." Promoting the general welfare was never the goal of the tea party as far as I know. Using that term in an application for tax-exempt status should be a red flag. Kinda like sticking your finger in a beehive to see if you can get away without being stung.

This is the kind of bullshit that the Supremes called down upon our heads with their Citizens (money) Untied ruling.

by figbash on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:46:30 AM PDT

•  So there's a double standard (0+ / 0-)

based on politics the IRS should use? You may want to notice they themselves disagree with you as does the President. Sheesh.

I'd ask for proof of your assertion but since you haven't read IG report I know you do not have any. The Teaparty was ONE name, there was Constitution, Patriot, etc. And 504(c) CAN be involved in politics up to 49% of their efforts. And it doesn't matter. Unless there are objective reasons to suspect otherwise all groups should be treated equally,this wasn't the case.

Do you really think Organizing For Action isn't trying get people elected 49% of the time? Do you want their status revoked?

•  I thought the lead in to your diary was (1+ / 0-)
        Troubadour

powerful and then your supporting evidence a slam dunk.  Don't be surprised that someone has jumped into this diary to distract.  I'm not.

•  OK I'll spell slowly for you (0+ / 0-)

According to you it is OK for the IRS to target certain (not all bit only conservative) groups because they are, in you esteemed opinion, out to game the system. That in and of itself is so wrong I cannot believe a person would defend such fascist tactics but I digress.

Assuming you were correct in your assumption then, the targeted groups would have been found wanting - and therefore not approved right?

And yet, they were - after the fact- approved, even with extra scrutiny? So your premise is not only biased but false. Get a life.

•  the IRS knew the tea party was a scam (1+ / 0-)
      Troubadour

it's a no-brainer, troll

This is a list of 76 universities for Rush Limbaugh that endorse global warming denial, racism, sexism, and GOP lies by broadcasting sports on over 170 Limbaugh radio stations.

by certainot on Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:56:32 AM PDT