View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 5/20 (296 comments)

•  while we do have a good bench (2+ / 0-)
    misterklein, MichaelNY

I'm skeptical on us holding the governor's mansion after Nixon retires the state seems to be continuing to move rightward (it's no longer a bellwether state). I just hope we don't have a repeat of what happened in OK 2010 (where all the statewides were lost)

In fact, the occasional victory for the GOP cannot hide the fact that this country is fast heading into another era, not of two-party democracy, but a party-and-a-half system. And the GOP is the half a party- Larry Sabato

by lordpet8 on Mon May 20, 2013 at 11:34:29 AM PDT

•  I don't believe the state will continue (0+ / 0-)

to trend away from us. In fact I firmly believe Clinton would have a pretty good shot of winning it.

•  I see Clinton winning it (3+ / 0-)
        skibum59, lordpet8, MichaelNY

if she is winning by at least 7 points nationally.  A much better PVI than what Obama saw last year (winning by 4 nationally, but losing Missouri by 9), but still relatively redder than 2000, in which Gore won the popular vote by 0.5% but lost Missouri by 3.3%.

So while the short-term 2016 election may see a blue shift in Missouri's PVI, I still think the long-term trends will hold of Missouri shifting to the right, and requiring larger and larger national margins for the Democratic nominee to win it.  Same goes for West Virginia...though that state would certainly respond better to Hillary Clinton than to Obama, we're kidding ourselves if we think WV is going to give her the kinds of margins it gave Bill Clinton.  In fact, I don't even think she (or any presidential Dem nominee) can win the state short of a total landslide anymore.

•  Why do you think it won't continue to trend (2+ / 0-)
        aamail6, MichaelNY

away from us?

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon May 20, 2013 at 12:54:03 PM PDT

•  The rural areas of the state are shrinking. (4+ / 0-)
          wadingo, aamail6, ArkDem14, JBraden

Last decade the urban areas were as well, but I completely expect a growth in St. Louis and and Kansas City. Also liberal haven Columbia saw some pretty strong growth last decade. It may not trend in our direction, but I don't believe it will continue to become more Republican.

•  ... (3+ / 0-)
            skibum59, lordpet8, MichaelNY

But the strongest - and only - growth in the state is in the very Republican suburban rings around the two cities.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:03:23 PM PDT

•  Suburban growth, on the other hand, doesn't equal (1+ / 0-)
              HoosierD42

conservatism.  For decades, people have moved outward (a process which is somewhat reversing itself).  Considering suburbs are the only places that have had growth in the last generation or more, it's clear that not all suburban growth is conservative.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
              politicohen.com
              UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:39:31 PM PDT

•  On the whole, yes (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

But in this case, not really. Missouri's suburbs have generally stayed conservative and in some places become moreso.

by wwmiv on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:38:10 PM PDT

•  How about the inner suburbs? (3+ / 0-)
                  ArkDem14, James Allen, MichaelNY

St Louis County (not the city) has gotten bluer over the last couple decades, so I don't think what you're saying is completely true.  It seems to fit the national pattern (inner suburbs get more diverse and more liberal, outer suburbs are built and are conservative, and the process repeats)

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                  politicohen.com
                  UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:02:06 PM PDT

•  Suburban rings that have gotten less (0+ / 0-)

Republican, especially St. Charles and parts of St. Louis County. Also see Jackson County getting more and more Democratic, and heavy growth in Democratic trending Columbia county. The rural stalwart Republican areas are shrinking steadily, and they've maxed out at this point on all the former Dem rural territory.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:20:52 PM PDT

•  maybe in federal, but not in state elections. (0+ / 0-)

by James Allen on Mon May 20, 2013 at 09:34:55 PM PDT

•  Jefferson County (JeffCo) in Missouri, OTOH, (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

will become a swing to pinkish-red county in Presidential voting (if it hasn't already), while going towards light blue or swingish in statewide voting. In countywide offices, it will remain mostly Democratic.

•  Well considering we won the statewide races (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

at about the same rate as we did in 2008 despite Obama not contesting it last year and tanking there, I wouldn't write off our chances in 2016 especially when the Republican bench really just consists of their auditor Tom Schweich and Attorney General is a lot more impressive.

I doubt Clinton can win the state without a true landslide nationwide, but she won't get blown out there either.

•  it will stop trending R at some point (7+ / 0-)

New Mexico will probably never be as blue as Massachusetts and Missouri will probably never be as red as Wyoming.  Trends don't just keep trending forever.

by James Allen on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:30:11 PM PDT

•  I agree (5+ / 0-)

I can't see it going more than a couple points redder than the present but I'm not sure we can say it's done yet.  It'll take another 4 or 8 years to know.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com