View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 5/20 (296 comments)

•  The rural areas of the state are shrinking. (4+ / 0-)
    wadingo, aamail6, ArkDem14, JBraden

Last decade the urban areas were as well, but I completely expect a growth in St. Louis and and Kansas City. Also liberal haven Columbia saw some pretty strong growth last decade. It may not trend in our direction, but I don't believe it will continue to become more Republican.

•  ... (3+ / 0-)
      skibum59, lordpet8, MichaelNY

But the strongest - and only - growth in the state is in the very Republican suburban rings around the two cities.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:03:23 PM PDT

•  Suburban growth, on the other hand, doesn't equal (1+ / 0-)
        HoosierD42

conservatism.  For decades, people have moved outward (a process which is somewhat reversing itself).  Considering suburbs are the only places that have had growth in the last generation or more, it's clear that not all suburban growth is conservative.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:39:31 PM PDT

•  On the whole, yes (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

But in this case, not really. Missouri's suburbs have generally stayed conservative and in some places become moreso.

by wwmiv on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:38:10 PM PDT

•  How about the inner suburbs? (3+ / 0-)
            ArkDem14, James Allen, MichaelNY

St Louis County (not the city) has gotten bluer over the last couple decades, so I don't think what you're saying is completely true.  It seems to fit the national pattern (inner suburbs get more diverse and more liberal, outer suburbs are built and are conservative, and the process repeats)

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
            politicohen.com
            UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:02:06 PM PDT

•  Suburban rings that have gotten less (0+ / 0-)

Republican, especially St. Charles and parts of St. Louis County. Also see Jackson County getting more and more Democratic, and heavy growth in Democratic trending Columbia county. The rural stalwart Republican areas are shrinking steadily, and they've maxed out at this point on all the former Dem rural territory.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:20:52 PM PDT

•  maybe in federal, but not in state elections. (0+ / 0-)

by James Allen on Mon May 20, 2013 at 09:34:55 PM PDT

•  Jefferson County (JeffCo) in Missouri, OTOH, (1+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY

will become a swing to pinkish-red county in Presidential voting (if it hasn't already), while going towards light blue or swingish in statewide voting. In countywide offices, it will remain mostly Democratic.