View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 5/21 (261 comments)

•  KY Senate- Stumbo releases Senate map (5+ / 0-)

This obviously will not be enacted by the Senate, but could be the basis of a court drawn map. It pairs no incumbents. It splits Ohio County, which could be an issue. Members that get a worse district seem to be Sen. R.J. Palmer (D-Winchester), Damon Thayer (R-Georgetown), Brandon Smith (R-Hazard) and Jimmy Higdon (R-Lebanon).

"So there's a time for silence, and there's a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

by SouthernINDem on Tue May 21, 2013 at 02:06:22 PM PDT

•  under a court drawn map (0+ / 0-)

Dems will lose the house right because of population loss in eastern KY and growth in the Cincy burbs, right?

Do you think the lawsuit was filed to expedite things or for the the GOP to try to force a court map for both chambers?

•  This case was to expedite things. (1+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14

Beshear says he will call a special session in Sept.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap—if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow—there's one thing you never—ever, put in a trap. …Me." -The Eleventh Doctor

by KingofSpades on Tue May 21, 2013 at 03:04:46 PM PDT

•  also (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

is the federal prisoner count issue settled yet?

•  Leaders in both chambers (1+ / 0-)
      ArkDem14

are okay with the special session Beshear says he will call this fall and will finish it then?

by KingofSpades on Tue May 21, 2013 at 03:07:29 PM PDT

•  realistic redistricting targets? (1+ / 0-)
      ArkDem14

other than squeezing out one more GOP seat in Jefferson county and weakening a Fayette county Dem seat, what else can the GOP do?

•  They can eliminate (0+ / 0-)

another Dem seat in Western KY, Eastern KY, and another seat in Louisville. They would pack Dems into one Lexington seat.

by SouthernINDem on Tue May 21, 2013 at 08:03:32 PM PDT

•  Isn't Stumbo from Hazard too? (0+ / 0-)

Any chance he could run against Smith?

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Tue May 21, 2013 at 03:40:33 PM PDT

•  Nah, his HD is all of Floyd County. (1+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14

There is a State House Dem from Hazard, but I have no idea what he's about.  Dan Mongiardo is also from Hazard.

by KingofSpades on Tue May 21, 2013 at 03:45:30 PM PDT

•  Mongiardo should run (0+ / 0-)

by ArkDem14 on Tue May 21, 2013 at 03:53:50 PM PDT

•  But still (0+ / 0-)

the GOP would draw in some southern counties that are more strongly red and not like this where Dems would have a sporting chance.

by KingofSpades on Tue May 21, 2013 at 04:05:42 PM PDT

•  He won't win (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Even in this Stumbo map it is no better than a tossup, and I assure you the Senate GOP will add more southern KY counties to it making it at least lean to likely R affair.

• Recommended (149)
  • Economy (19)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Riots (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site