View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Tuesday (241 comments)

•  You nailed it (16+ / 0-)
    these kids give me confidence that we leave the world to a better generation...
    our daughter's UCC confirmation was last weekend - I was blown away - all about service and compassion and being a good person and finding a way to be the change.

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up. A. A. Milne

by hulibow on Tue May 21, 2013 at 05:57:39 AM PDT

•  There is a reason I call Episcopalians (14+ / 0-)

"Unitarians with incense".

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue May 21, 2013 at 06:18:45 AM PDT

•  I read a book about the "me generation" that (9+ / 0-)

claims kids today are all about themselves. Personally, I don't see how that sets them apart from generations past -- that's what being a teenager is all about.

However, her premise is that this generation no longer cares about what others think of them. I think that was meant to be a negative attribute, but I see it as a net positive. "You don't like me because of the way I dress... I'm gay... I'm black... I'm interested in art rather than business... Tough shit, that's YOUR problem, not mine." The author's point was that past generations were much more willing to conform.

This generation may be more "strident" about expressing themselves and saying to hell with others' negative opinions. But they carrying that value through for everyone. And they are willing to fight for everyone's right to be themselves. Gay, straight, black, white, rich, poor -- we all have a place at the table.

I am constantly blown away by the goodness and compassion of our young people. Thank goodness for their "selfishness" of refusing to conform to others' standards!

First the thing is impossible, then improbable, then unsatisfactorily achieved, then quietly improved, until one day it is actual and uncontroversial. ... It starts off impossible and it ends up done. - Adam Gopnik

by theKgirls on Tue May 21, 2013 at 06:34:43 AM PDT

•  I used to see my parents' generation as selfish, (6+ / 0-)

the "Boomers" because I watched all of their idealism turn into a willingness to shill for corporate America. Hell, my dad, who went to college to be an English teacher, ended up as the Executive Vice President of one of the largest insurance companies in the world. As I get older, however, I understand more about that. These kids today, some of them, will sell out too. But I think less of them will than people of my Dad's generation did and in fairness to my Dad, he's a liberal and he's intensely honest and fair. There's something which is said at the end of every meeting of Masons (hornbeck will know what that is) about how Masons meet. I can't tell you the answer to that, but it says a lot about how people like my father manage to have financial success in business and still maintain their integrity. My dad's a great guy, and I'm not so bad either, but the best generation out of all of us is going to be my brother's kids' generation. They don't stand for any kind of bullshit. They're on the level. Thank God.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue May 21, 2013 at 06:41:00 AM PDT

•  And social media and global communication (9+ / 0-)

have a lot to do with their broader outlook, having opened the world to them in a way taking a bike ride to the library never could.
        I think you're right. They aren't more self-centered. They are less conformist, and I'll applaud that every minute of every day.

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Tue May 21, 2013 at 06:43:29 AM PDT

•  You nailed it! (7+ / 0-)

Our kids went with us to Quaker meeting.  They did not become Quakers, but I think it served them well for developing an ability to put themselves into other's shoes. My wife had a tee-shirt that said "Question Authority." Being able to think critically is more important than blind obedience.

I took them to meeting for two reasons - 1) I wanted to inoculate them against the nuttier brands of religion, and 2) I am descended from a long line of Quakers (although my father and his immediate family had turned Methodist and my mother's family was Lutheran.)

I am an agnostic who represented our meeting to the Interfaith Council and I got to know people of all sorts of belief systems.  My first zoology professor was an atheist. I was surprised he did not have horns, based on my parents views, but I outgrew all that and vowed our kids would not become narrow-minded.  I try to have respect for all beliefs, save for those that are obvious scams (most if not all televangelists) or are dangerous to themselves or others. I just don't see a "golden age" of belief or non-belief because we are all humans - jumped up apes with a much inflated view of themselves.

•  My father, and his father before him, were (6+ / 0-)

of the belief that you should raise your kids in church so that they are inoculated against evangelical extremeism and don't become "seekers" later in life. My brother, who's an agnostic, is married to a Congregationalist and lets his wife take them to church (the big Congo Church in downtown Austin, Texas) for this very reason. Sometimes, those kids ask some strange questions like "Uncle Bill, you're gay--why do you work for the Episcopal Church?" I tell them it's for the same reason that they get taken to church by their mother: social justice. That, and the fact that the Episcopal Church is in line with all of our values as social justice Christians and progressive Democrats and a family which is racially integrated and includes many LGBT members.

Those kids? They're biracial.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue May 21, 2013 at 07:37:49 AM PDT