View Diary: Liberal Confession - I handled guns! (223 comments)

•  i wasn't referring to the commentary (0+ / 0-)

i was referring to the diary itself.

the comments devolved into a shitshow rather quickly, and i did not read them.

Banking on the American people to be able to sort all this out and declare the adult in the room the winner is a very big bet. -Digby

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:11:03 PM PDT

•  Then my point is made. (2+ / 0-)
      FrankRose, KVoimakas

Had you read the commentary, you would see that there are people here taking exactly the stance that you describe as an obnoxious caricature.

Further, it is a very common stance to be seen here.

That being the case, the diary makes perfect sense, with that context in mind.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:13:32 PM PDT

•  your point is dumb. (0+ / 0-)

i responded to the diary with my thoughts. does the fact that others may have echoed my thoughts with their own replies nullify my own response, simply because it was made later?

i'm well aware that there are many liberal gun owners who share my attitude and feel that the "gun taboo" among liberals is a harmful stereotype, and i was fairly confident that there were a few others who probably made posts similar to mine when i skimmed the comments. so fucking what. i made my own comment in my own phrasing, because this is an online forum and that's what you do.

the fact that others agree with me, share my stance and made their own comments in this diary does not undermine my own comment, nor does it make me an ignorant or inattentive participant in the discussion.

welcome to the internet, where people post their opinions

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:21:30 PM PDT

•  And then on to juvenile, personal insult... (1+ / 0-)
          KVoimakas

...when you can't respond meaningfully to the point made.  In fact, it's a pretty good example of the very behavior that you claim is nothing more than obnoxious caricature.

Understood -- you choose to ignore what it suits you to ignore.  That being the case, there is no need to engage in further discussion.

Have a lovely evening.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:28:53 PM PDT

•  do you do this to other people? (0+ / 0-)

do you go around diaries finding comments people wrote that are in agreement with things other people wrote upthread and wag your finger at them for being redundant and not keeping their mouth shut because someone already gave voice to that opinion?

that must be a full-time job!

yes i responded to you with slight contempt, because you're carrying out a comically pointless argument. i'm still not clear what your "point" was. i shouldn't have written what i wrote because somebody took that position earlier? or something?

whatever. go ahead and declare victory because i responded with "juvenile" sarcasm at your insipid navel-gazing criticism.

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:35:23 PM PDT

•  and for the record (0+ / 0-)

"your point is dumb" does not qualify as a "juvenile, personal insult" when its followed up with a detailed explanation of why your point was dumb.

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:45:26 PM PDT

•  I'll try to explain. (3+ / 0-)
              FrankRose, andalusi, KVoimakas

You made an assertion -- that the diary was "strange" because it responded to a non-existent stance that you further assert is not held by "real" liberals (describing anyone who would take such a stance as an obnoxious caricature).

I showed that your assertion was incorrect.  It was not at all difficult -- the commentary showed exactly the sort of behavior that you claimed doesn't exist.  If it existed, it wouldn't be a caricature, would it?

You respond to that with what you describe as "slight contempt," engaging in the very same behavior that you described as obnoxious caricature.

Further, at no point did I declare "victory," so you are now arguing against something not said -- an example of blatant intellectual dishonesty.  My criticism was straightforward and to the point -- that your assertion was simply false -- and you, once again, resort to juvenile sarcasm about it when you can not respond in a meaningful, reasonable manner.

I'm really unsure how it can be made any clearer than that.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon May 20, 2013 at 04:46:46 PM PDT

•  i don't.... just.... what? (0+ / 0-)
                OP seems to be buying into and perpetuating the stereotype of liberals as hysterical crusaders against gun ownership in all its forms.
                this was the thrust of my comment. i was surprised by the title of the diary because i was not aware that owning/handling firearms was considered a "taboo" by liberals. i know that the image of the hysterical liberal who associates gun ownership with pure evil is a harmful stereotype often wielded by gun-nut conservatives, which is what motivated me to write my comment.

there are indeed liberals out there who very much view gun ownership and handling as taboo, though they are not anywhere near the majority. these people help perpetuate a harmful stereotype. i never once claimed that such people do not exist. for example: the people that made OP feel as if gun ownership is a liberal taboo. thus, my comment, where i asserted that the "gun taboo" stereotype of liberals is not true.

i was replying to the diary, not the comments. i do not believe it is required to account for every single comment to a diary when replying, and i doubt very much that you do it yourself.

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:04:18 PM PDT

•  I responded to what you posted. (1+ / 0-)
                  FrankRose

In fact, I quoted you directly to show that I was doing so.

What you're going on about now has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the points I brought up.

For whatever reason, you seem either unable or unwilling to respond to those points, going from juvenile sarcasm, to attributing to me statements I did not make, and now changing the subject.

My earlier instinct was clearly correct -- there is no constructive reason to engage in discussion with you any further.  I usually don't try to explain beyond that point, but I do sometimes try to offer the benefit of the doubt.

Sadly, it so rarely pays to do so.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:37:31 PM PDT

•  maybe if you didn't argue semantics all day (0+ / 0-)

and nitpick posts you clearly misunderstood you wouldn't run into so many people who you find to be unworthy of discussion.

i said it was a "strange diary" mostly for lack of a kinder way to phrase it. clearly the "behavior" of the liberal gun taboo stereotype exists in the real world, but i cannot imagine the circumstances in which a person would come to believe it to be the prevailing liberal opinion to the point of "confessing" to the handling of guns on a liberal site.

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:11:49 PM PDT

•  My sig line is a direct quote from this user. (1+ / 0-)
              a2nite

He's easily offended.

Calling other DKos members "weenies" is a personal insult and therefore against site rules.

by Bob Johnson on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:47:50 PM PDT

•  Actually, I'm not. (0+ / 0-)

You may feel free to say so as often as you'd like, but it will still be false.  A repeated lie is still a lie.

Pointing out when someone else is making an incorrect assertion is in no way synonymous with being offended.  Of course, you are the one who was trying to insist upon a non-existent definition of "ignorance" earlier, so perhaps I shouldn't expect an accurate usage of the word "offended," either.

As far as that quote goes, any personal insult is, in fact, against site rules -- which makes the quote perfectly accurate.  I quote here directly from the FAQ:

Any and all insults are HRable.
                It really doesn't get any plainer than that.

You may choose to ignore site rules when they don't suit you, but it doesn't actually change the rules.

This is all pretty straightforward stuff, really.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:02:55 PM PDT

•  oh wait. wait. WAIT. (0+ / 0-)

i get it now.

yes. and?

i don't see how that refutes anything i said in my original comment.

by Boogalord on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:20:18 PM PDT

• Spam (24)
  • Congress (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site