View Diary: Top traffic-driving Daily Kos stories shared via Facebook and Twitter (42 comments)

•  Isn't it sad (2+ / 0-)
    Shahryar, CroneWit

that not one of these stories has anything much to do with electing more and better democrats?

Sarah Palin is stupid?  OMG, I'm amazed.

Sorry, the stuff that passes for involvement around here these days bugs me a little.

•  It's May in an odd year. (8+ / 0-)

Not much election news to be had.

Besides, one of the few helpful things that a Cheeto-eating, pajama-wearing blogger can do from his/her basement is to debunk a false claim with hard evidence.  False claims are easy to refute, but real journalists won't waste their time.  Meanwhile, the story festers for days or weeks and eventually becomes "real" to some people.  All because no one bothered to blow holes in it.  Within hours of Umbrellagate, pictures of Sarah Palin and former Presidents were posted all over the internet, effectively killing the meme before it got started.  One less distraction for the WH or inane topic for Sunday morning.

•  So what? (2+ / 0-)
      Dave in Northridge, 3goldens

This is a snapshot in time, not necessarily indicative of anything permanent.

These are numbers telling us what brought people to the site. Maybe they read other things once they got here, perhaps?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon May 20, 2013 at 01:55:44 PM PDT

•  I dunno, seems like most of what we do here (0+ / 0-)

is talk about republicans.

Doesn't seem like much of way to build a movement to me.

•  Yes, I know (2+ / 0-)
          DeadHead, doroma

Seems that someone who's written one diary in the past three years that's just your two comments on this diary expanded isn't the one to be complaining.  What are YOU doing to build the movement?

-7.75, -8.10; . . . Columbine, Tucson, Aurora, Sandy Hook, Boston (h/t Charles Pierce)

by Dave in Northridge on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:21:55 PM PDT

•  lol (1+ / 0-)
            Dave in Northridge

IOW: Be the change you seek. ;)

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:23:45 PM PDT

•  I don't spend much time here anymore (0+ / 0-)

because I find the content uncreative and uninspired.  I never was much for writing diaries anyway (not narcissistic enough or something like that).  As for movement building I tend more to deal with real people in the (local) noncyber world.

It's just sort of seems kinda pathetic to me that the most visible entity for a "progressive" movement is basically all about republicans.  I used to recommend this place for people who wanted to know what progressivism was about.  Can't really do that now, y'know?

But, go ahead, celebrate the stupidity of Sarah if that's what floats your boat.  Nothing wrong with it (She really is stupid).  No harm done.

•  This particular debate (1+ / 0-)
          citizenx

regarding the focus of the site has been discussed a lot lately, it seems.

Is there a time in this site's history where talking about Republicans was not a significant part of the site's content?

Republicans have been doing a lot of crazy shit -- the debunking and calling attention to it, not necessarily for our benefit only, but for the benefit of non-kossack potential readers as well, must increase proportionally, imo.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:22:05 PM PDT

•  Yeah back in the good old days (0+ / 0-)

people used to put forth a lot of theories and information about how we could win more elections.

Maybe that was before your time.

We slagged 'pugs plenty, but we were more interested in being activists than (i dunno) critics(?), entertainers(?).

•  Alot of stuff happened here (1+ / 0-)
              Urizen

Before I arrived in 2009. But I've also been under the impression that the birth of this site came, at least in part, out of dissatisfaction with Republicans, namely Bush.

So electing more and better Democrats was of course the obvious way for Democrats to solve the Bush problem, or rather, the Republican problem, as it should be.

But I wonder how long, in your view, this imbalance you perceive has been occurring?

How, specifically, would you change the emphasis of the site? Is it just the front page posts you are worried about, or do you feel there has been site-wide misdirection of priorities?

Because I see all kinds of activism-related diaries traveling down the recent list. Some of them with hardly a rec or comment. So it's not like they aren't being written here. If you base your perception of the site's direction based solely on the Front page posts that rapidly travel down and off the bottom of the page, then I think you might be giving the site less credit than it deserves, on the whole.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:51:03 PM PDT

•  I just wish WE (collectively speaking) were less (1+ / 0-)
                DeadHead

satisfied with cataloguing the (all too obvious) idiocies of republicans and taking a more pro-active approach to what WE (again collectively) want to do.

It's like we're coming here to entertain ourselves instead of coming here to save the world.  Nothing much I can do about it, I just think it's sad.

All I'm doing is making an observation, y'know?  I'm not trying to attack anybody (even though a few took offense).  Just pointing out that we're kinda spinning our wheels with this stuff.

Y'know?  It's like going to a show and hanging out with all the people at the back who rag on about shitty the band is instead of being up front and dancing.  In the early years we were dancers, now it's like we're just spectators.

To me, that's just kinda sad.

I want progressivism to be about something, to grow into something people all over the country want to embrace and contribute to.  I never want to have my life presided over by fascists again.

I think some people thought that when Obama won in '08 that we'd finished our work.  I'm the type that'll never think our work is finished.  Just who I am.  If what happens here makes me sad, that's my problem, innit?  But I'm not gonna feel bad for making an observation.

•  I know you're just making an observation (1+ / 0-)
                  Urizen

Nothing wrong with that, and many seem to share your view, as recent commentary in a few diaries seems to suggest.

I'm of the opinion it should be a balance between the two. Debunking Republican misinformation on demand is an important function, otherwise their narrative takes hold quicker and it's harder to debunk the longer it's been allowed to propagate unhindered.

The necessity of the other half of the balance, the activism, is self-evident.

The pendulum will always swing in emphasis of one side over the other at different points in the journey, so I take the current emphasis as temporary.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:37:57 PM PDT

•  In other words (0+ / 0-)

they're not writing about what YOU want to write about, so it's stupid.

You're wrong.

•  No, it's wonderful. (2+ / 0-)
      Dave in Northridge, DeadHead

Either way - more PR for us.

Boehner Just Wants Wife To Listen, Not Come Up With Alternative Debt-Reduction Ideas

by dov12348 on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:17:09 PM PDT

•  Interesting to note also (2+ / 0-)
      dov12348, Urizen

is that none of the Obama is worse than Mothra type posts made it either.

•  No, it's not sad (0+ / 0-)

people can write about what they want. Who are you to police that?