View Diary: Dawn Chorus: Meet the locals! (84 comments)

•  Red Necked Phalaropes at Ocean Park at the river (10+ / 0-)

mouth west of Lompoc.
      Three, one with a gimpy leg that was bravely trying to hop on it. They fly just fantastically coordinated and displayed there puddly stirring right in front of me. I thought of revving up the wildlife rescue squad, but, geez, they were together and seeming to thrive in that very productive looking estuary.

Also a wandering Tattler wandering nearby, head a bob bob bobbing along, no song.

I thought that the Phalaropes should be in the Arctic right now, so it seemed sad but they were very close and paid attention to each other, this little flock of three.

Up the coast I saw a Black Scoter or common Moorhen in the Avila Beach estuary..all black, Mallard sized, hanging with them. Red orange beak, no spots, no white anywhere,even underside. Pictures tiny and fuzzy, grrrr.

Then in Port San Luis harbor/Avila Beach Sea Otters with babies, and a Pigeon Guillemot or was it...

My life list is up to 17 I think! It's a start!

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun May 26, 2013 at 10:40:42 AM PDT

•  My money's on the moorhen, (3+ / 0-)
      Kestrel, lineatus, KenBee

if the beak was really floridly red. Scoters' beaks arent quite so bright. Another way to tell them apart is that the scoter has a flat, "duckish" bill, while moorhen's is conical.

by sidnora on Mon May 27, 2013 at 05:48:20 AM PDT

•  got my pictures back, finally dried, and: (2+ / 0-)
        sidnora, lineatus

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Mon May 27, 2013 at 12:47:30 PM PDT

•  Congratulations on your scoter, (2+ / 0-)
          KenBee, lineatus

as well as all your other new birds. I have to travel very far to see some birds that are easy for you to spot. One of my all-time best birding experiences was a visit to Mono Lake, where we saw enormous flocks of phalaropes, red necked and Wilson's, feeding. An amazing place.

by sidnora on Mon May 27, 2013 at 02:36:33 PM PDT

•  oh yes indeedy! (2+ / 0-)
            lineatus, sidnora

what a strange and beautiful place, my bucket list to canoe that and the Owens River..which when I visited a few years ago was running strong near Bishop.
              The Late Huell Howser did a story on that stretch and its restoration, as well as Mono Lake.

'That's amazing'...and it is!

I spooked something that looked like some version of a Cormorant..I looked around the bend and wham! off it went  from 60' away, very spooked..whereas here on the pier they walk across my feet...I have noooo clue! Actually, my sense of scale was so thoroughly trampled by several Sierra days it could have been a Godwit.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Mon May 27, 2013 at 02:50:22 PM PDT

•  That must have been strange. (1+ / 0-)
              KenBee

I think of them as strictly shore birds. And yes, very common and rather bold. But I just checked, and their range covers most of North America if you include migration territory, so maybe.

by sidnora on Mon May 27, 2013 at 07:30:23 PM PDT