View Diary: Game of Thrones Recap: Second Sons (129 comments)

•  I haven't read #3 yet but that scene set me off. (4+ / 0-)
    ER Doc, Puddytat, FiredUpInCA, boofdah

So proud/happy Sam dispatched the Walker, then he goes and leaves the blade afterwards? Ridiculous, he had the time to grab it and the sense to use it. I guess he won't need it and maybe someone else will. Also, didn't care for Emma Peel's bemused recitations on familial relationships. It kind of diminishes her character if she's just cracking jokes about events opposed to her agenda. Unless she's got some plots in the works... I don't need to know, certainly no spoilers/specifics please.

You show a little grit and you lands in jail.

by cal2010 on Tue May 21, 2013 at 08:21:55 PM PDT

•  I just watched it .... and ... (5+ / 0-)

I found that somewhat bemusing.  Of course, you have to have some experience with this sort of thing to appreciate her taunts.  On one side of my family an uncle married his deceased wife's mother's sister who had been married to my uncle's cousin previously.  On the other side of the family, my brother's ex wife showed up married to a different uncle.  I moved away to avoid any family reunions....LOL.

I condemn Mitt Romney for political opportunism in exercising his free speech rights to criticize America's leaders during a foreign crisis. Wow, I guess I just apologized for Mitt Romney being an ass.

by emsprater on Tue May 21, 2013 at 09:36:24 PM PDT

•  Bemusing (2+ / 0-)
        sidnora, boofdah

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Amusing = funny
        Bemusing = confusing, bewildering

Sorry for being the word police.  It's a GIANT pet peeve I have.

Now I will admit one source, a major source, suggests the meaning you refer to.  Added only VERY recently.  Mostly because of decades of incorrect usage the word has taken on meaning it did not originally have.

None of the rest of the sources include that meaning.

Smack me, I probably deserve it.  And I've had a bad day so I may not be in my right mind and need a swift kick for posting this.

But bemusing does not mean amusing.  Not even wryly amusing.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Barack Obama

by delphine on Tue May 21, 2013 at 10:43:21 PM PDT

•  Fine with me. (0+ / 0-)

If you hadn't posted your comment, I would have.

by sidnora on Wed May 22, 2013 at 04:07:18 AM PDT

•  Yeah, but none of your family members were going (0+ / 0-)

to be forced into life long bachelor guard service (I'm guessing here) to a sadist as her beloved grandson would if he didn't marry the sadist's nasty bitter mother. The Queen of Thorns shouldn't be cracking wise, she should be pissed. She's mellowed out too much over the years, Emma would karate chop nearly the lot of 'em leaving, perhaps, one or two for Steed to crack with his umbrella.

You show a little grit and you lands in jail.

by cal2010 on Tue May 21, 2013 at 11:34:05 PM PDT

•  Simply Irresistible (1+ / 0-)
          Egalitare

You show a little grit and you lands in jail.

by cal2010 on Tue May 21, 2013 at 11:43:38 PM PDT

•  I tried to explain the (1+ / 0-)
          cal2010

Avengers to my son.

He thought it sounded cheesy.

My answer was " And . . . . ?"

Of course it was cheesy.  That's what made it delicious.

Even more completely O.T., speaking of Cheesy, watching old Dr. Who episodes from the 60's, the Tardis lands inside an Aztec tomb, and some chick (sorry, not up on characters from when I was 5) was trying on all of the jewelry.

So the Aztecs (who are all pasty and all speak English), conclude she is the reincarnation of whomever, because, you know, none of them could have just casually put on the jewelry.

AnyWho, it was so stupid I was laughing out loud.

I LOVE IT.

(Not so much the later episodes where the cuter younger chick kept screaming the "That guy has a fly head" scream at the top of her lungs over everything.

Thankfully chicks on Dr. Who have become women now, you know, with muscles and resolve and stuff.)

Back to our regularly scheduled GOT talk.

by delphine on Wed May 22, 2013 at 10:48:06 AM PDT

•  Doctor Who (1+ / 0-)
            delphine

If you've watched any amount of old Doctor Who, you should know that the TARDIS does instantaneous into-your-head translation for everybody in the area, so the Aztecs were actually speaking Aztec. :-)

But they were pretty pasty.

Many years later, Doctor Who reached the pinnacle of "caucasian actors in non-caucasian roles" in "The Talons of Weng Chiang" as John Bennett plays a Chinese magician. (And Tom Baker speaks Chinese VERY badly.)

Wealth doesn't trickle down -- it rises up.

by elsaf on Wed May 22, 2013 at 12:53:41 PM PDT

•  Yeah, no (0+ / 0-)

I was like 6 when it came out, and misspent my youth missing it entirely until a couple of years ago, when I watched it sporadically.

I must say, though, that one of my all time favorite episodes of any tv show ever is Vincent and the Doctor.

So for the neophyte, I Netflixed and got the Aztec episode first.  No intro to the TARDIS or anything else.

They skipped a lot of episodes obviously, as they went almost immediately to color episodes, something with plastic doll people.

All a lot of fun.

But my very FIRST glimpse of old Dr. Who.

by delphine on Wed May 22, 2013 at 05:08:58 PM PDT

•  Can't explain The Avengers (0+ / 0-)

Just gotta watch it. Earlier, or pre Eccleston, Dr. Who has always eluded my interest. Tried but could never get into it. I'm even behind on the Smith run. Tennant/Piper will probably remain my favourite duo.

You show a little grit and you lands in jail.

by cal2010 on Wed May 22, 2013 at 12:53:52 PM PDT

•  Little more O.T. (1+ / 0-)
              liberte

Nice Who/Mr. Blue Sky Montage. There used to be a great one of just Tennant and Piper to this tune, but I can't find it anymore. This version covers the episode that prominently features the work of ELO and guest stars Marc Warren:

You show a little grit and you lands in jail.

by cal2010 on Wed May 22, 2013 at 01:09:48 PM PDT

•  In book the obsidian glass dagger shatters (2+ / 0-)
      cal2010, smileycreek

I'm far from a GOT nerd but have read all the books, and in this book scene the white walker is recently-dead Crow Small Paul (Sam's buddy).  Small Paul is still wearing his chain mail and when Sam stabs him with the glass dagger it shatters.  Sam ends up killing him by shoving still burning wood from the fire into his mouth.  Since the dagger shatters, he is left dagger-less.  But I agree the scene in the show where he leaves it behind is frustrating.  In the book, the dagger is no more.

•  Ahh, (2+ / 0-)
        cal2010, smileycreek

thanks for the reminder.

It's much more effective when it's a guy he knew in life.  The Rip Van Wrinkle dude is kinda scary but doesn't convey the real horror of recently departed friends showing up to kill you.

by delphine on Wed May 22, 2013 at 10:50:53 AM PDT

•  Something to add (0+ / 0-)

There are only two ways to kill a white-walker: stab 'em with obsidian (dragon) glass, or torch them with fire.
          Okay, maybe I'm a touch of GOT nerdy, but have been re-reading Book#3 while also watching the third series.

•  It's been awhile since I listened to the books. (0+ / 0-)

I'd forgotten that part. Wonder why they changed it?

Welcome from the DK Partners & Mentors Team. If you have any questions about how to participate here, you can learn more at the Knowledge Base or from the New Diarists Resources Diaries. Diaries labeled "Open Thread" are also great places to ask. We look forward to your contributions.

Oh, I used to be disgusted
        Now I try to be amused