View Diary: Sergio Garcia is a Racist, and Adidas/TaylorMade Should Drop Him (65 comments)

•  How would you, a racist apologist, analyze (4+ / 7-)

this one?

What exactly am I mistaken about when calling a person a racist for pulling an unsolicited fried chicken joke at a black golfer?

I'm glad the DailyKos has now become a refuge for racism apologist.

I find it laughable that your initial claim is that I am "very mistaken" about Garcia. The guy who makes fried chicken jokes: totally not a racist!

FO.

"We forward in this generation, triumphantly."

by Grizzard on Wed May 22, 2013 at 11:53:46 AM PDT

•  So I Am A Racist Apologist (4+ / 0-)

Give me a fucking break. Do I like what he said. Nope. Do I think that make Sergio a racist, not in the least.

•  Way out of line, HRd. nt (2+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe, mint julep
    •  HR for personal attack (3+ / 0-)

No, Daily Kos has not become a refuge for racism apologists.

Garcia made a stupid remark that was racist and offensive.  However, if you know his history, you know it was NOT meant in an offensive manner. He said it stupidly and unthinkingly, which is far different than saying it with the intention of making a racist stereotype against Woods.

This is a guy that has donated over $1M in the past decade to beating cancer, MS, and helping differently abled people play golf. When he played at the Greenbrier in WV, he donated thousands to help the mining victim's families. Or the SOS Children's Villages to help poor children in Europe?

Here's an article with some perspective and the FULL content of his remarks, which are clearly not a non-apology. Sergio Garcia Golf Digest

Your diary is way over the top, as are your remarks to webranding.

Liberalism is trust of the people tempered by prudence. Conservatism is distrust of the people tempered by fear. ~William E. Gladstone, 1866

by absdoggy on Wed May 22, 2013 at 12:18:34 PM PDT

•  Just wondering how one makes such a blatantly (7+ / 0-)

racist comment without it being intentional?

There was no other way to express himself?

As far as Garcia's good works, the Koch brothers also donate millions to charities and non-profits.

I'm not about to excuse their attempt to buy our government because of it.  I'm betting you wouldn't either so I don't understand why charitable donations apparently do excuse Garcia's behavior.

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by Onomastic on Wed May 22, 2013 at 04:32:29 PM PDT

•  I might suggest that (1+ / 0-)
          absdoggy

given the fact that he is Spanish he may not have fully understood what he was saying. The statement was obviously meant to play on a generic stereotype, but that's not necessarily the same thing as meaning it to play on an offensive stereotype. I could make a very similar remark about a Spaniard ('oh yeah, I'll whip up some Sangria') without being offensive. The reason Sergio's comment is offensive has a lot to do with a complex and convoluted history that he is not a part of. I think that absent any other evidence of an active racial animus he should get a pass.

•  He understood. That's why he said it. (4+ / 0-)
            I might suggest that given the fact that he is Spanish he may not have fully understood what he was saying.

"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights." (From "You Said a Mouthful" by Bishop Desmond Tutu - South African bishop & activist, b.1931)

by FiredUpInCA on Wed May 22, 2013 at 06:46:02 PM PDT

•  I did not realize that there existed a (4+ / 0-)

"generic stereotype" of Blacks loving fried chicken that was not, as others have pointed out, deeply rooted in racism.

Nor do I see Garcia's Spanish nationality as a viable excuse for his comment.

In what context, given his time in the States, and how, would he have picked up such language in the first place?

The greater sadness here is that Garcia running off at the mouth in such a high-profile manner will do nothing to dispel the widely held image of a cosseted world of golf largely populated by a distasteful collection of closet racists, complimented only by those who are openly misogynistic. Indeed, that is a notion sometimes hard to argue with.

It is, after all, still less than 40 years since the first black man played in the Masters. Only just over half a century ago the PGA of America removed the caucasian clause in their membership policies. And, until this year when Augusta National welcomed two female members, the PGA Tour blatantly ignored its own rules regarding the sanctioning of tournaments held at clubs discriminating on the grounds of color, creed or gender. None of the above, it goes without saying, did the game any credit.

[emphasis added]

by Onomastic on Wed May 22, 2013 at 06:57:34 PM PDT

•  So, you're perfect, you've never said anything you (0+ / 0-)

regret? Never wished you had said something differently?

Jesse Jackson once called New York "Hymie town". So, shall we brand him an anti-semite for life? Dismiss all the good he ever did? Should we demand, as the diarist did, that whatever organizations he is a part of immediately drop him and have nothing to do with him ever again?

As the diarist did - should we say that anyone who supports Jesse Jackson is an anti-semite apologist? Should we proclaim that any forum in which someone supports Jesse Jackson has become a refuge for anti-semites?

I did not excuse his behavior - I said that his remark was racist and offensive, but that if you examine his history, this was just that - one racist and offensive remark that was said out of ignorance and not out of an intention to be racist.

I suspect if we were to kick out every member of Daily Kos who ever expressed anything in a comment that was an ignorant expression of a racist, sexist, or anti-semitic meme, then I guess you and Kos would be the only members.

by absdoggy on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:10:33 AM PDT

•  Otherwise perfectly wonderful people can be racist (1+ / 0-)
        Onomastic

automatically excusing the pillars of society helps nobody.

28, Male, MA-07 (hometown MI-06)

by bumiputera on Thu May 23, 2013 at 05:28:01 AM PDT

•  man, there have been a lot of ad hominems today (0+ / 0-)

That gets old.  HR (for the second time today about an ad hominem against a well established community member).

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Wed May 22, 2013 at 01:28:51 PM PDT