View Diary: Have Dems sold out too early on immigration? Not if they want something to actually pass (317 comments)

•  misinterpretation. (8+ / 0-)

As I say in my earlier comments, to accuse someone of active bigotry is pretty strong.  That's accusing him of morally repugnant beliefs and behavior.  I'm not suggesting that he leave if he disagrees.  I'm just wondering what would attract him to such a place.

Thanks for making--as usual--a negative assumption about my liberal bona fides.  Who named you the arbiter of such things?

"Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don’t pretend to understand." ~ Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

by SottoVoce on Wed May 22, 2013 at 01:26:54 PM PDT

•  Misinterpretation? (10+ / 0-)

You're the one misinterpreting.  Jesse accused Markos of political expediency to the point of not much caring about LGBT issues unless they're electorally helpful.  You're trying to put words in Jesse's mouth, accusing Markos of being a homophobic bigot.  Fat lot of nerve you have objecting to being misinterpreted.

I didn't say anything about your liberal bona fides.  Just your intolerant attitude in that comment.  I feel perfectly competent to make that judgment.

If you want to cut Social Security, you're not a real Democrat.

by Dallasdoc on Wed May 22, 2013 at 01:38:21 PM PDT

•  My original comment says (5+ / 0-)
        wow, pretty strong accusation in your title (5+ / 0-)
        "Kos has always argued for selling out LGBT people"
        If quoting his title word for word, and then expressing shock at his title is putting words in Jesse's mouth then I stand accused.  I found his comment shocking and misplaced.  Perhaps it was just poorly expressed.

by SottoVoce on Wed May 22, 2013 at 01:48:16 PM PDT

•  You're not telling the truth (6+ / 0-)

The quote you cite is in no way the same as calling Kos a bigot.  Not unless you call every Democratic politician who hung back from supporting marriage equality until it was safe to go in the water a bigot.

You're the one misinterpreting Jesse.  So don't cry about you supposedly getting misinterpreted.

If you want to cut Social Security, you're not a real Democrat.

by Dallasdoc on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:00:37 PM PDT

•  "not telling the truth?" (1+ / 0-)
            Lost and Found

No conversation is possible with you.  I leave the field.

by SottoVoce on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:13:08 PM PDT

•  Bye (4+ / 0-)
              expatjourno, stevemb, JesseCW, triv33

You misrepresented Jesse's comment, and your sanctimonious dudgeon is entirely fake.

If you want to cut Social Security, you're not a real Democrat.

by Dallasdoc on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:28:05 PM PDT

•  Bullshit (2+ / 0-)
                Sophie Amrain, Lost and Found

No, he did not misrepresent anything.  It's fucking right there in black and white, for everyone who can read - to read it.

I don't want any part of your argument as I think it's total bullshit, but unless this site got a comment edit function in the last 5 minutes, Sotto is questioning an accusation that is right there, obvious to all but you apparently.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:41:25 PM PDT

•  Horse shit. As usual from you. (3+ / 2-)
                  stevemb, JesseCW, Dallasdoc
                  Hidden by:
                  jncca, Jeff Simpson

The title was the first half of a sentence. Quoting half a sentence and representing it as a complete though is textbook misrepresentation.

Even the fragment, "Kos has always argued for selling out LGBT people" does not imply Kos is "odiously bigoted." At most, it implies that he's indifferent to the interests of LGBT people.

Obama is the Chickenshit-in-Chief for failing to stand up to Republicans on all their phony scandals, from the "beer summit," to Van Jones, "death panels," Shirley Sherrod, contraception, Benghazi, and the IRS.

by expatjourno on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:54:22 PM PDT

•  HR for "horse shit. as usual from you." (1+ / 0-)
                    SottoVoce

Clear uncivil personal attack.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                    politicohen.com
                    Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
                    UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:04:33 PM PDT

•  I know how to read. (1+ / 0-)
                    Lost and Found

Quite well, in fact.  Excellent comprehension.

My comment stands.  I'll refrain from adding any personal opinion of you.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:06:31 PM PDT

•  I didn't say you couldn't read. (2+ / 0-)
                      JesseCW, Dallasdoc

Assuming you can, it would be your honesty that would be in question because you would be knowingly misrepresenting what was said.

To imply that people who are misrepresenting a comment are functionally illiterate is to give them the benefit of the doubt.

by expatjourno on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:16:09 PM PDT

•  No, at *best* it implies that he's indifferent. (0+ / 0-)

At worst it does imply he's a bigot.  (Both implications are false, BTW.)

I'm not sure why in this case you chose to adopt the most generous implication rather than the worst one, which is your usual m.o.  I've never seen you hesitant to take the extreme position before when there's a chance to condemn someone.  haha

•  check your kosmail, Miss Blue. (1+ / 0-)
                  Miss Blue

by SottoVoce on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:08:27 PM PDT

•  I'll Be Charitable... (2+ / 0-)
                Dallasdoc, expatjourno

...and assume that the gross misrepresentation of Jesse's comment was accidental.

Hence, I give you a rec, and withhold the donut from the misrepresentation.

On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass.

by stevemb on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:03:27 PM PDT

•  If you finished the sentence (3+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, Dallasdoc, expatjourno

you would see why you're wrong. The title is not the whole of the sentence.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:37:14 PM PDT

•  And even the title only implies indifference. (3+ / 0-)
        AoT, JesseCW, Dallasdoc

Not that Kos is "odiously bigoted."

by expatjourno on Wed May 22, 2013 at 02:56:07 PM PDT

•  I'd say that constructing straw men is pretty (3+ / 0-)

ugly, but you've already stated your disagreement.

Kos urges that we accept pandering to bigots.  In fact, he claims that all who don't agree are simply "unrealistic purists".

His title itself is not "Should Democrats sell out the LBGT community that won them the White House" - but when.

"The thing about smart motherfuckers is that they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers." Robert Kirkman

by JesseCW on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:25:56 PM PDT

•  I appreciate hearing from you directly. (2+ / 0-)
        mchristi314, expatjourno

I guess I was just freaked out by the title of your comment, and took it as a blanket "he always does that" statement about Markos throwing LGBT people under the bus.  He does strike me as wanting legislation to happen, but it seemed overstated to me in the extreme.  I apologize (to you) if I was hasty or mistaken in that judgment.

As far as "stating my disagreement," I'm not sure what you mean--disagreement with what?  Actually, I made no comment about kos' diary at all, or his belief that Dems have to do what they have to do to get something passed.  (My only comments had to do with YOUR comments).  I actually recoil at giving more to the Republicans than we already have and always seem to continue doing.  That said, I don't know whether passing nothing from the time Obama was elected until 2014 (with the exception of the slow, but eventual end of DADT) would be a better choice.  I can't say, because I can't fathom the depth to which this House will go to see him destroyed.  I can't fathom the way their constituents are so filled with hatred that they applaud blocking everything and doing nothing as good works from their elected officials.

He brings a lot of his troubles on himself, by being accommodating and trading away firm principles over and over again with no return.  But complete stasis isn't good for anyone, either.

by SottoVoce on Wed May 22, 2013 at 03:45:06 PM PDT