View Diary: US since 1865: Lyndon Johnson's Great Society (96 comments)

•  Thank you... I try my best. (5+ / 0-)

I believe history is important, and it's a lot more than memorizing dates and names. The why's and hows are much more important to study and learn, and more interesting as well. He became interested in Ferdinand Foch because of the Second Battle of Marne, so that's who we decided to do his report on.

He doesn't have a lot of experience with reports yet, because he really wasn't developmentally ready for them before now (autistic). This one went pretty smoothly though (only 1.5 pages, but 7 sources), but you can tell it's a first report. We'll work on it next year and if needs be I'll be there to support him through his first couple of college classes until he gets it. But I've found, with him at least, if I wait until he's ready it goes a lot smoother and more successfully than if I try to force him into doing things on someone else's schedule.

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri May 24, 2013 at 04:31:39 PM PDT

•  We LIVE history, we don't make it. (3+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM, The Marti, MrJayTee

I really like your outlook.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri May 24, 2013 at 04:47:33 PM PDT

that means a lot to me.

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri May 24, 2013 at 04:49:51 PM PDT

•  We're not talking a lot about LBJ here, and I'll (3+ / 0-)
          FloridaSNMOM, The Marti, MrJayTee

leave it up to Dave to comment on that, because he wrote a fantastic diary, one that I've been looking forward to all day. But we ARE talking about history, and we seem to be the kind of people who get jazzed up about American History. I think that's awesome. I hope our diarist agrees.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri May 24, 2013 at 04:54:06 PM PDT

•  It's what I get (4+ / 0-)

for taking a 25 minute break after this had been published for 10 minutes. Yes, you're talking about history, which is good. It's just that at 64 comments and 19 recs this looks to the Kosiverse like a troll diary.

Carry on!

-7.75, -8.10; . . . Columbine, Tucson, Aurora, Sandy Hook, Boston (h/t Charles Pierce)

by Dave in Northridge on Fri May 24, 2013 at 04:57:52 PM PDT

•  I don't know as much about LBJ yet... (2+ / 0-)
            commonmass, MrJayTee

outside of what Dave just taught me. I'm hoping to get that far before this time next year with my son (who is a Senior this year). If not I'll get there with my daughter because I'll start her on this track earlier. For the past year we've been going through President by President since the Civil War, pausing to delve deeper into some things, like WWI, but generally spending a week or two on each President's term. I've used this time line as a guide.

But I've always liked history. I even liked history during the one sucky history class I had (due to the teacher not the class). But I can get just as jazzed about ancient history, or European, etc as I can about American ;). I've also been a SCAdian for 19 years, though I can't get to meetings and such right now due to lack of transportation. My kids have been raised immersed in history of one form or another.

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri May 24, 2013 at 05:05:58 PM PDT

•  WWI is a difficult topic in my family: (2+ / 0-)
              MrJayTee, FloridaSNMOM

My great grandfather fought for Austria, and my great great uncle George Peabody got his eye shot out in that war fighting on the other side. Those two men had to meet.

Ouch.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri May 24, 2013 at 05:14:48 PM PDT

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (31)
  • Elections (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site