View Diary: Tesla repays government loan, Republicans sniff (197 comments)

•  to be fair (20+ / 0-)

If it really gets 265 miles reliably that is farther than I go in a car more than once every couple of years.  From my house, that would get me to Hartford, CT or Pittsburgh, PA, or Richmond, VA.  None of those cities I have ever considered casual driving distance.  There would surely be a house/hotel/parking lot that I would be planning on leaving it at.  Once the infrastructure is built up enough that there are charging stations everywhere...  Once every 4 hours is even reasonable for meal breaks if it can be charged in under an hour.

I've always thought people that try to do 1,000 miles in a car in a day are insane.

•  The most I've ever done was just over 600 (8+ / 0-)

I was the sole driver. I could probably push it to 700 but it would approach my personal limits of exhaustion. I know people who've done nearly 1000 but they're nuts. Still, 265 is not that big a deal for one day. Not even close.

They'll overcome these limits eventually, with replaceable batteries, ultra-fast chargers or auxiliary gas engines (i.e. hybrids). I like the middle option. If you're driving much beyond 250 miles you really do need to stop, unwind, walk around, get something to eat or drink, use the bathroom, etc., anyway.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu May 23, 2013 at 05:58:19 PM PDT

•  It can get half a charge in 30 minutes (11+ / 0-)

at a Supercharger station. So you go 250 miles or so (around 4-5 hours), stop for a nice 1-hour lunch at a beautiful new Supercharger station with a couple of upscale restaurant concessions, go another 4-5 hours, stop and charge overnight at your hotel.

Or I guess you could Supercharge again at dinner and drive until midnight, but being a wealthy person who's road-tripping purely for fun (you'd buy a plane ticket if you had to go 500+ miles fast), you're probably going to want to stop and enjoy yourself.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:35:27 PM PDT

•  I can go 700 miles easily, but then I generally (1+ / 0-)
        JeffW

find driving relaxing. I do look forward to being able to get an all-electric car, with the energy coming from renewables.

•  The most I've ever done was 713 miles in a (1+ / 0-)
        kovie

ten hour day.

We were talking driving a commercial motor vehicle...right?

I've done 1,600 miles in 24 hours in a regular passenger vehicle.

"The thing about smart motherfuckers is that they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers." Robert Kirkman

by JesseCW on Fri May 24, 2013 at 08:05:09 AM PDT

•  Just over 600 in a sports car (3+ / 0-)
          JesseCW, orlbucfan, Aquarius40

Both alone and with a passenger, as I've done this several times going cross-country. The hard part for me is those mid-day snooze episodes where my body just wants to fall asleep but there's no exit or rest stop for another 20 miles and no amount of coffee or music does the trick.

I'm sure I could do 700+, but why?!?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri May 24, 2013 at 08:13:44 AM PDT

•  Rookies (1+ / 0-)
        kovie

I once did 900 miles.

On a motorcycle.

It was a sport bike (Yamaha R6)

•  I drove nearly 1,000 km today (on business), (7+ / 0-)

and I agree. I'm almost totally drained. Glad I don't have to do it every day.

-8.38, -7.74 My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

by Wreck Smurfy on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:31:44 PM PDT

•  I don't like to fly (8+ / 0-)

Sounds silly I realize, but the airlines are such a hassle these days if it's 400 miles or less I drive.

If I lived in Europe I'd take high speed rail, but here my only options are to get stuffed into a 50-seat regional jet or drive.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:32:05 PM PDT

•  Silly, Major? (2+ / 0-)
        NoMoreLies, Calamity Jean

Not at all: you would feel fine if you were flying the bird. You're a pilot. You probably critique the guys doing the flying in the back of your mind. Add that to the hassles you encounter, and, well, I'm not surprised you don't like to fly as a passenger.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Thu May 23, 2013 at 10:54:22 PM PDT

•  The round trip between Chicago... (0+ / 0-)

...and our farm in Stephenson County is just a bit under 240 miles, so in theory we could drive from there to the NW suburbs to visit Calamity Jean's father without recharging. If the senior community he lives in puts in a charging station, since we'd be staying over night, we could recharge the batteries to full.

Now, if I could only win the Lucky Day Lotto minimum grand prize, it would be enough...

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Thu May 23, 2013 at 10:51:15 PM PDT

•  That's optimum conditions. (0+ / 0-)

You might be looking as low as 200-210 if you're cruising 80, or doing lots of hard acceleration and deceleration on mountain roads with the AC blasting.

"Only" 200-210.