View Diary: Tesla repays government loan, Republicans sniff (197 comments)

•  I've never actually seen a Tesla (3+ / 0-)
    indie17, dksbook, Joe Bob

being driven. Essentially, isn't it a urban car? There's an awful lot of America that isn't urban. I hope they've got plans to work for extended infrastructure. And eventually, that price tag has got to come down, right?

They're pretty cool, I'll admit. I think I'll keep the old truck for now, but I look forward to the time when this sort of vehicle is practical where I live.

I have taken a full year of Law and Government Class and have determined that government and politics are my left ass cheek.-my 18 year old daughter

by left rev on Thu May 23, 2013 at 05:52:44 PM PDT

•  someone at work said (9+ / 0-)

Telsa is working on a truck.
      do not underestimate Elon Musk.

•  That would be (5+ / 0-)
        kyril, indie17, Calamity Jean, JeffW, BYw

awesome! If they're thinking ahead like that, surely the infrastructure won't be far behind.

by left rev on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:01:42 PM PDT

•  Well, the next model (Model X, due out 2014) (4+ / 0-)
        Leap Year, JeffW, BYw, left rev

is a minivan-esque thing with AWD and a body that looks like an oversized hatchback. They're selling it as a cross between a minivan and an SUV.

Rumor is the next in the pipeline after the X is probably going to be a midmarket sedan. But a truck is a possibility. Problem is, trucks are typically desirable for hauling and towing, and they have poor aerodynamics and large wheels, both of which won't be good for the range.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:53:22 PM PDT

•  He'll have competition... (1+ / 0-)
          left rev

...from these folks, unless he buys them.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Thu May 23, 2013 at 11:05:20 PM PDT

•  Electric trucks are awesome for low speed (1+ / 0-)
          kos

applications.  All that smooth torque, the battery sled fits under the bed, and you've already got a very rigid frame for weight.

I know a couple people that have converted pickups, one Nissan and one Toyota, both using lead acid.

One gets 70 miles at 35-45 mph, stop and go.  He has regenerative breaking.  That's with 500 lbs of payload and driver and passenger both edging up on 200lbs a piece.

But according to him, he's drained in 20 miles at 65-70 riding alone with no payload.  It's the aerodynamics.

"The thing about smart motherfuckers is that they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers." Robert Kirkman

by JesseCW on Fri May 24, 2013 at 08:22:25 AM PDT

•  Check out the Texas link in the diary. n/t (1+ / 0-)
        left rev
    •  The majority of Americans live in cities (7+ / 0-)
      Leap Year, JeffW, madhaus, BYw, msdrown, left rev, Zinman

and suburbs. That includes the vast and overwhelming majority of people who can afford a $90k car, or even a $60k car.

They are working on extended infrastructure and a model at a lower price point. Selling to rich city-dwellers is a brilliant and calculated move that will let them raise the money to do exactly that.

That said, even if you're rural...how often do you travel more than 265 miles in a day? If you can afford this car, you can probably afford to rent a vehicle for the rare long-distance trip. Or fly.

by kyril on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:47:58 PM PDT

•  Well, most days I don't drive (2+ / 0-)
        kyril, JeffW

more than about 20 miles or so. But if I have hospital calls or nursing home visits, I can drive 60 or 70 miles a day.

Its more about the conference stuff. About twelve times a year, I have to drive to the other ends of the state for meetings and seminars that I'm either leading or teaching. Plus, there's nothing to rent in my town-the nearest place to rent a car would be...shit, I don't even know.

I'm VERY rural. And most of the folks out here don't make enough to but the 60k version in two years of paychecks. Clearly, we're not the target demographic for the Tesla.

But it is a really cool car and I love the concept. I hope it spreads and becomes possible to use out here.

by left rev on Thu May 23, 2013 at 07:04:29 PM PDT

•  Now that I think about it, (4+ / 0-)
          kyril, JeffW, BYw, orlbucfan

I think Eau CLaire, the closest thing to a city we have anywhere close to where I am, has a few charging stations and are looking to provide more. The Volt is popular there, I believe.

Maybe its not as far off as I think to see a Tesla tooling down Main Street behind a tractor hauling fertilizer :)

by left rev on Thu May 23, 2013 at 07:08:09 PM PDT

•  who in your town wouldn't trade for a day? (1+ / 0-)
          left rev

I don't think you would ever have a problem finding a gas car to use for a day in exchange for yours.

•  I saw my first one (that I knew (3+ / 0-)
      JeffW, Joe Bob, Zinman

was my first one), at the SF airport and I thought it looks like a cooler Lexus.  Then I saw one pass me ( a type-A granny behind the wheel) so fast, so elegantly, it amazed me.  I wish I could give each of my kids one for Xmas.  Hell, I'd love to just drive one.

•  It's beautiful. (1+ / 0-)
      JeffW

I've seen hundreds of them.

•  It's a regional phenomenon for now. (0+ / 0-)

by JesseCW on Fri May 24, 2013 at 08:18:22 AM PDT

•  I've never seen one either (0+ / 0-)

But I see Hummers here in the city all the time. I refused to let one cut in my lane yesterday when his lane had construction in it. If it had been a tired-looking mom in a minivan, i would have. I don't give Hummer drivers the time of day.

Jon Husted is a dick.