View Diary: Never Swim When There's No Life-Guard And Never Swim Alone! (75 comments)

•  Hey Rebel Ga! (5+ / 0-)

I grew up in New Jersey too! I have fond memories of Point Pleasant, and I know it was hit really hard by the Sandy. My father's house was pretty much destroyed.

I have not been back there in while, I hear things are really different, even the landscape.

I hope you and your family is doing well.

"If you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing!" (on a sign at a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans)

by ranger995 on Sun May 26, 2013 at 09:25:45 AM PDT

•  I really need to review my posts before posting (2+ / 0-)
      rebel ga, bumbi

them.

I hope you and your family ARE doing well.

by ranger995 on Sun May 26, 2013 at 09:36:49 AM PDT

•  Learned to body-surf at Point Pleasant, Seaside, & (5+ / 0-)

Bayhead, which made for a lot of face-plants because the beaches are so steep.  Being a dumb young punk I would often swim & ride alone off those beaches after the lifeguards had left.  My subconcious punished me, though -- for decades afterward I would have a recurring nightmare of being drowned by a huge rogue wave.

"If you don't read the newspapers, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." -- M. Twain

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Sun May 26, 2013 at 09:44:47 AM PDT

•  That scares me too Oliver. (4+ / 0-)

I remember those waves.

The ocean is no place to be swimming without Lifeguards.

Brought To You By That Crazed Sociologist/Media Fanatic rebel ga Be The Change You Want To See In The World! Gandhi

by rebel ga on Sun May 26, 2013 at 10:28:01 AM PDT

•  That's why a new vogue in diving puzzles me -- (5+ / 0-)

solo, no-buddy diving. Though I'm really comfortable diving, that seems nuts to me.  However, if you talk to enough dive-masters, you find out that a lot of even the more seemingly sensible ones do it all the time.  Can you say, "Hubris"?

My favorite dive place is Bonaire & a few years ago a tourist diving alone in shallow water right in front of his resort totally disappeared after he submerged while waving to his wife who was on the resort dock.  If that can happen there, it can happen anywhere.  (Sharks are as common on the resort side of Bonaire as communists on Wall St.  So it probably wasn't Jaws that got the guy.)

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Sun May 26, 2013 at 11:43:12 AM PDT

•  I'm an advanced diver (2+ / 0-)
            rebel ga, bumbi

and I would never dream of diving without a buddy.

•  I am a long time SCUBA diver (3+ / 0-)

and am a firm believer in the buddy system, even for a short shore dive. Diving by yourself is very dangerous. Too many flukey things can happen. You need your buddy.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon May 27, 2013 at 08:25:46 AM PDT

•  For Sure VClib (3+ / 0-)
                Absolutely, no one should ever scuba dive alone.
                Same thing with swimming. The buddy system is necessary because strangers a few feet away may not notice if one is in trouble. But a buddy will.

by rebel ga on Mon May 27, 2013 at 08:46:47 AM PDT

•  Do as I say, not as I do (1+ / 0-)
                rebel ga

I was a NAUI Scuba instructor in HAwaii in the 1970s. Among other things I took and escorted tourists on dive cruises. I got to most of the really great dive spots in HI.
                (Mokokini, Kona, Kahoolawe, Cathedrals off LAnai, etc)
                We always taught the buddy system but in reality if I had to have a buddy to go everywhere I wouldn't get many places.

I hate to say it but I dove a lot by myself, tho I don't recommend it for everyone. I used to dive for my dinner at night right at the mouth of Ala Wai harbor, off of MAgic Island. would get big bugs and parrot fish and I mean right at the Ewa end of Waikiki.
                the scariest part was walking through the park afterwards.

I also worked as a commercial diver there in Hi and offshore Louisiana. I was working alone a lot there too. Doing anode changes on drill rigs 100' deep, or jetting mud on pipelines dark as hell and then something big bumps against you. Creepy! And once again you hope that God woke up on your side that morning.
                 I only did that for big money---$200 bucks a day at the time. (late 70s)

I certainly don't recommend it but I got so used to being underwater then it was like being on land. HI is great for diving (but not like the Bahamas.)
                I've done other risky things. Don't be like me

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 06:30:40 PM PDT

•  Body surfing at The Wedge (2+ / 0-)
        FloridaSNMOM, bigjacbigjacbigjac

As a high school and college student I would very frequently body surf at The Wedge, a famous spot in Newport Beach, CA. It too had high waves, particularly in the fall, and would break into about three feet of water. People die there and many others receive life altering injuries such as broken necks. I had my share of face plants but also the good luck that I was never injured.

However, I can still close my eyes and see a vision of my body gliding through a curl for 75 yards. If you caught the right wave, it was something really magical.

More about the Wedge:

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon May 27, 2013 at 08:23:38 AM PDT

•  I used to work on the Windward side of Oahu (1+ / 0-)
          rebel ga

At least the office of the construction company was there in Kahaluu.
          After work if I was on that side, at 3:30 when I got off work I'd hit Makapuu.
          This is the Worlds Champion Body surfing beach. its not only a terrific beach, its one of the prettiest places on the island. Also had another cultural context: they filmed some of From Here To Eternity right here and close to here
          This was in the days before boogie boards completely took over.  All the kids from 'Nalo High would be down there after school. This the place the locals go.
          I had a big '68 Galaxy convertible, made it easy to meet nice people (gas: 52 cts/gal, sigh)

this is the best body surfing I was ever at and I love doing it. The next beach down the road, Sandy, was nothing to compare.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 06:43:42 PM PDT

•  Hi Ranger, (4+ / 0-)

Thanks for the Rec and Tip.

I lived in Brick Town grades 2 through 7.

Point Pleasant was one of the beaches we always went to.

Seaside Heights Boardwalk was so fabulous back in the fifties and early sixties. They had a great pizza stand right in the middle of the boardwalk.

I moved back to Northern NJ when I was in the eighth grade. Bayonne.

My Sister lives about 2 miles from the Mantoloking Bridge, on a lagoon.

Every place around her was torn up, but she just had the smallest amount of damage.

So sorry about your Father's house.

The shore is beautiful. I would move back there. I love the sea.

Like I said in the diary, I've been swimming in the ocean since I was a child, (about age 8 or 9). Swam in my Sister's lagoon before that.

I was the kid out swinging on the ropes, way out.

by rebel ga on Sun May 26, 2013 at 09:47:09 AM PDT