View Diary: The Bigger Terror: the Islamophobic Backlash (103 comments)

•  One thing I've heard a lot of is outrage (4+ / 0-)

That radical clerics in theUK are allowed to incite violence even on tv, but it is illegal in Britain to disparage Islam...there have been multiple arrests of nonmuslims for tweeting nasty comments this week. I don't see how that is a tenable position.

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Sat May 25, 2013 at 04:58:07 PM PDT

•  Hate speech is not (9+ / 0-)

legal in the UK.

Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom are found in several statutes. Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation is forbidden.[1][2][3] Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden.[4] The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both.[5]

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Sat May 25, 2013 at 05:09:46 PM PDT

•  No - inciting racial hatred works both ways (7+ / 0-)

Many Islamist organisations have been banned, and preachers of hate imprisoned

We have a problem with deporting one cleric back to Jordan because it has the death penalty and torture: human rights act forbids that

But your mischaracterisation of the law is very much the provocative tosh chunked out by Rupert Murdoch, the Mail, and the rest if the right wing press

And swallowed wholesale by some online commenters

The Fall of the House of Murdoch -with Eric Lewis and all the latest Leveson evidence out now!

by Brit on Sat May 25, 2013 at 05:17:12 PM PDT

•  Good to see Cameron will start appying (1+ / 0-)
        jamesia

The misguided speech laws to the clerics hitherto given a pass, I guess. It would be better if the elected officials and public pressure weren't what decides who can opine on what, but there you have it.

by jeff in nyc on Sat May 25, 2013 at 07:13:16 PM PDT

•  How about the cleric (3+ / 0-)
        jeff in nyc, Be Skeptical, jamesia

Who mentored the terrorist who beheaded the soldier?  He even praised him to the press.  And I believe (but could be mistaken) there's a cleric there by the name of Chowdry who is the most hateful man I've ever heard speak.  These two characters live in London?  Why are they allowed to incite violence?

•  The uk laws have been applied really (2+ / 0-)
          Angryallen, jamesia

Inconsistently, but the current government is saying they'll apply all laws to these few clerics who invite terrorism. There are a ton of problems, logically, with persecuting speech as the power of the day demands, but at least the uk is making an effort at fair application of banned thought.

by jeff in nyc on Sat May 25, 2013 at 09:08:31 PM PDT

•  I'm waiting for press reports (3+ / 0-)
            jeff in nyc, Be Skeptical, jamesia

Of the mentoring clerics arrest then since he made those comments just a few days ago.  Perhaps that may have prevented some of the blowback there right now.  And the fact that there has been rioting in Sweden, currently, isn't helpful either.

I think there's a lot of previously ambivalent people who are sick and tired of Islamic terrorism constantly in the news and they are at their breaking point.

•  I'm not holding my breath on anything (2+ / 0-)
              Alexandre, jamesia

Really happening in that regard.

by jeff in nyc on Sat May 25, 2013 at 09:49:26 PM PDT

•  Are either of you Brits (1+ / 0-)
                JDsg

Or is everything seen through the filter of the media

Because all I see here are stereotypes

by Brit on Sun May 26, 2013 at 01:06:01 PM PDT

•  I'm not, obviously. Why? (2+ / 0-)
                  joanneleon, Be Skeptical

by jeff in nyc on Sun May 26, 2013 at 06:48:29 PM PDT

•  Could you be more specific? (0+ / 0-)

What stereotypes? I've been following the situation with the muzzling of free speech in Europe for a little while now; I'm not an expert, but I've seen enough to be horrified and become quite dedicated to defending freedom of speech in the US. What is your point about people seeing stereotypes? What on earth are you talking about?

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

• Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site