View Diary: Why the Right Continue to Live in Mortal Fear (191 comments)

•  I have seen it as well... (43+ / 0-)

I think it was always there, just hidden beneath the surface.  The election of President Obama has brought it to the surface and for a time has made it seem worse but it is part of the healing process.  It will eventually be resigned back beneath the surface but never as deep.

It may take another hundred years to completely eradicate it but the healing has begun.  The racism is not as bad as it was the last time it was out in the open nor will the next time be as bad as this.

The same holds true with mexicans.  It used to be Italians and Polish and Irishmen that were considered the scum of the earth.  One day, it will be someone else.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:12:46 PM PDT

•  ... (39+ / 0-)

I agree that it was there all along, but didn't come out until now.  Maybe among themselves, they voiced it, but now that there is so much hate voiced on the right, they feel that they can say it to anyone.  I don't know, but it is upsetting to find that people you have known for 50 years are not at all what you thought.  Another thing that has surprised me is finding that people who are very inclusive of all races still have negative feelings about equal marriage rights.  I have trouble understanding the hate.  They are hating people that are not hurting them in any way for things that just are the way the are.  People are born being who they are as to race and sexual orientation.  Why hate that?  What a waste of energy.

•  "What a waste of energy." (17+ / 0-)

Exactly how I feel about it. All that hate and anger, for absolutely no reason at all, just seems so pointless and tiring.

•  I also have been incredulous at the hate (47+ / 0-)

I thought there would be some, of course. But how does one hate Pres. Obama with such vehemence? Everything about his career has been about assuaging those fears, of consciously and carefully cultivating non-racially threatening politics, of representing racially and ethnically diverse communities, of deliberately downplaying issues of the inner city or of poverty in the black community - devoting far less attention or eloquence than he should have, frankly. He's been a moderate Democrat and none of this polarization has anything to do with his actual positions.

Is the fear that deep? Do people really feel that Obama harbors such anger - the most patient, non-emotional and cerebral politician I think I have ever seen? I think Steinbeck's older man had it right, but the depth and the extent of the hate is frightening.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Sun May 26, 2013 at 05:25:32 PM PDT

•  If you and your cohorts (10+ / 0-)

have always treated minorities as second class citizens, or worse, you would naturally fear the obvious change in US demographics if you assume that minorities are always treated thus.

...and who, disguised as rambler american, mild mannered commenter for a great Democratic web blog, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.

by rambler american on Sun May 26, 2013 at 07:11:00 PM PDT

•  essentially, yes (4+ / 0-)
            ivorybill, Ahianne, fayea, samddobermann

all you say is how it actually is. I too am surprised how bad it is. You are right. It is horrible.

Yet, I don't think it is as bad where I am, even amongst Republicans who don't like the President. It May be a Southern thing or a non-New England thing (or possibly my experience here is biased but I don't think so).By bad I mean the deep anger and hatred.

I'm middle aged raised and live in the Northeast, and White. I believe I'm aware of the depth and span of racism around me and where I fall in that range. Being raised in the 70s, there was a lot of racism around. My parents had had bad experiences with their urban neighborhood- so I got to hear how the "Blacks" ruined the neighborhood (blockbusting). Yet they also were the only ones who stood up at a neighborhood meeting to prevent our neighbors from keeping Black familes from buying in our suburb. It was a wierd mix. My sister and I ended up having friends and dating people of all races because my parents generally Acted and demonstrated that everyone was of equal value, even though the statement about the old neighborhood would come from my father periodically. I picked up some racial biases and still sometimes have to root it out and catch myself but I make an effort to do so. I know my subconcious racism is there. And I see it in other White people my age and older particularly working class or less educated people-because of where I live and work I come in contact regularly with a large number and cross section of the people in my area.

There is NOT a deep racial hatred in general even in people who say racist things. It doesn't seem to have the same vehemence (hardly any really) as what we read about on right wing sites and hear about in other places. I don't sense the fear that you describe/we are talking about. At it's worst there is a repugnant stereotyping of people which I call out. In calling it out the person almost always waivers. In my coastal city most natives are relatively recent decendants of immigrants. I think that is why they waiver when I call them out, knowing that "Irish need not apply" and predudice at other ethnic/religious backgrounds is only a few generations away. They know it is wrong. I like them to know that it is no longer ok to talk like my dad did, like that, in anyone's company even other White people. And I don't hear this kind of thing often, maybe only once a few times a year directly to me at this point,and there has not been an uptick with Obama as President. I've not heard a peep of birther stuff or "usurper Kenyan" ideas.

•  ... (1+ / 0-)
              fayea

It is different in the South.  I wish it were not true, but it is.  It is true of people who are caring individuals who will do anything to help their friends and neighbors who are like them and consider themselves deeply religious, but fail to see the other side of their feelings.  Having enough people around them who feel the same way makes them feel like it is acceptable.

What I hate is hearing something like "...this black guy did...." Why does it matter what color he is?  Why not just say that a guy did something?  Why does the color always rise up in the sentence for some people?

•  I was equally frightened by the Bill Clinton hate (1+ / 0-)
            tobendaro

which was almost as virulent. The conspiracy theories ... the congressional investigations ... the contempt ... the impeachment fervor--it was like a feeding frenzy of sharks.

Now, of course, the racism adds some to the intensity and especially, to the mode of expression--lots of racist imagery available to pick up to bludgeon the President. But despite their best efforts, most people still like the guy, as they liked Clinton. All they can do is throw mud (or poo).

I think that some of the haters are having an existential crisis of the soul. They bought into the whole Reagan/Republican world view and it is not working out for them (or anyone else who is not very, very rich), but if the Democrats are right, then .... [something happens too dreadful to imagine or they must acknowledge the paucity of their own lives or something else soul-shattering or fill-in-the-blank]. That is why it is every Democrat, not just Clinton or Obama, because the party is a marker of everything not-Republican and therefore everything scary inside and outside their own heads.

Help us to save free conscience from the paw Of hireling wolves whose gospel is their maw. ~John Donne

by ohiolibrarian on Mon May 27, 2013 at 12:16:46 PM PDT

•  very upsetting. Such people call Obama "divisive" (5+ / 0-)

I find that infuriating.
          Essentially Obama is guilty of Presiding (governing) while Black.
          It brought out the racism in millions of White Americas and they blame him for it.

I often think that such anti Marriage equality people really do not fully get that people are BORN Gay. They think it's partly a "lifestyle" choice. As if some young boy would choose to be Gay in High School in the 80s or even now!

•  ... (1+ / 0-)
            Buckeye Nut Schell

Yes, it is puzzling.  A very open and tolerant friend of mine told me that she can't change being black, but gay people make the choice.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.  How can people who have had such discrimination aimed at them not see that they are doing the same thing to another group of people?

•  "Such people call Obama 'divisive'"... (0+ / 0-)

What they really mean is uppity...

•  I think some think uppity. I also believe (0+ / 0-)

some see him as divisive because they see that the country during his Presidency has become more polarized than ever. I do know a few Republicans who think this. THey are not racists or rather not so racist to have the "uppity" judgement. Many who judge Obama as arrogant secretly think he's uppity. But divisive means something different. For some it's just a way to smear Obama but others blame Obama for WHite racist people's reaction to him. THe Republican house  has acted differently with him than with any other President. To people who don't pay close attention to politics they might think "under Obama DC is more divided than ever" and blame him. And Fox et all of course fuels this.

I resent how Obama gets blamed for the racist reactions of some White Americans.

•  Why hate that? (2+ / 0-)
          avamontez, samddobermann
          They hate those people because they are taught to hate those people.

There are people like Bryan Fischer of American Family Association and similar groups whose lifestyle is financed and supported by teaching others to fear and hate "The Other." Such people are leaders who search for frightened followers and who teach them to be angry at some "Other" as an antidote to their fear. It's a form of tribalism.

It can be a very lucrative profession. Look at Rush Limbaugh.

The US Supreme Court has by its actions and rhetoric has ceased to be legitimate. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - over

by Rick B on Mon May 27, 2013 at 04:04:35 AM PDT

•  We can hope that one day no nationality or (14+ / 0-)

ethnic group will be "it."

I like your point that the present ugliness is a step in a long overdue healing process.

It matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever. Henry David Thoreau, in Civil Disobedience

by Had Enough Right Wing BS on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:38:21 PM PDT

•  The goal ought to be that someday it will be (11+ / 0-)

no one else.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:40:35 PM PDT

•  Jews before WW2 (2+ / 0-)
        Sam I Am, mamamedusa

my dad as a kid with his family were kept out of many hotels. An he wasn't allowed in college...Jew quota (negative quota keeping Jews out).

It's still there a tiny bit but much more superficial, mostly gone in the youngest generation (except renewed on the left by confusing Jews with Israel, but that' s another conversation).

So your theory of the process holds true if you look at how antiSemetism has changed in the US. In the South in early 1900s it wasn't clear if they were even "White". In the 30s or 40s their was a movie about a man who "passed" as a Jew--that was the main topic of the movie.

•  Gentleman's Agreement by Laura Z Hobson (0+ / 0-)

Movie was with Gregory Peck. Good movie and still appallingly pertinent.

by ohiolibrarian on Mon May 27, 2013 at 12:27:19 PM PDT

•  IT was Gentleman's Agreement (0+ / 0-)

made  in 1947 — after many people saw the results of the concentration and death camps.

Anti-Semitism was still rampant. The people of New York and the rest of the North East accepted the restrictions and quotas without thinking.

Universities like Harvard, Yale and the rest of the prestigious schools had a 5% limit on the Jews they would accept. I know that Duke did also.

From Wiki

Gentleman's Agreement is a 1947 drama film about a journalist (played by Gregory Peck) who goes undercover as a Jew to conduct research for an exposé on antisemitism in New York City and the affluent community of Darien, Connecticut.
          ...
          Zanuck decided to make a film version of Hobson's novel after being refused membership in the Los Angeles Country Club when it was assumed incorrectly that he was Jewish. Before filming commenced, Samuel Goldwyn and other Jewish film executives approached Darryl Zanuck and asked him not to make the film, fearing that it would "stir up trouble". They also warned that Hays Code enforcer Joseph Breen might not allow the film to pass the censors, as he had been known to make disparaging remarks about Jews. There was also concern that Dorothy McGuire's character being divorced would offend the National Legion of Decency. The role of Phillip Green was first offered to Cary Grant, but he turned it down. Peck decided to accept the role, although his agent advised him to refuse, believing he would be endangering his career. Jewish actor John Garfield agreed to play a lesser role in the film in order to be a part of the film.
          And
          Gentleman's Agreement received a generally favorable reception from influential New York Times critic Bosley Crowther.
          ...
          Crowther said that the movie shared the novel's failings in that "explorations are narrowly confined to the upper-class social and professional level to which he is immediately exposed." He also said that the main character's shock at the extent of antisemitism was lacking in credibility: "it is, in a careful analysis, an extraordinarily naive role."
          The "political nature" of the film  also attracted the attention of the House Un-American Activities Committee, with Elia Kazan, Darryl Zanuck, John Garfield, and Anne Revere all being called to testify before the committee.

Overt discrimination was alive and well long after that and is still a factor in American and even more so in British lives.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Mon May 27, 2013 at 06:53:38 PM PDT

•  When I was young (1+ / 0-)
        mmacdDE

The Italians were not considered white where we lived in Florida. Neither were the Jewish people, Native Americans, Hispanics, or anyone that wasn't white with blue, green or hazel eyes. It's strange to look back on those days ... my family had a large home that was divided up into apartments on one side, with our living area on the other. I'm sure they wouldn't rent to anyone that wasn't definitely "white" or otherwise "undesirable." The neighbors wouldn't have been happy with it at all.

They pushed it with a couple that were both deaf, but they white so they had that going for them.

It was just "how it was."

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Mon May 27, 2013 at 03:02:12 AM PDT

•  wouldn't it just (0+ / 0-)

make RW heads explode if our next President was also of a "non-white" nature.  LOL, it would epic.

Another black person, a Native American, a Latino, a woman of any stripe?  Oh my, the crap would really hit the fan if we could elect two in a row.  It would be so worth the spectacle.

Yes, I am psychic...or was that psycho? I always forget which.

by Farradin on Mon May 27, 2013 at 11:00:20 AM PDT

•  Same here. I have been surprised by several (32+ / 0-)

friends who seemingly out of the blue turned racist after the President's election. Reason and facts met with ever more nasty replies until I finally had to admit defeat in any kind of rational dialogue.

I noticed something similar with my mother in the last several years of her life.  As she aged and her health worsened, she became addicted to Fox and Rush and was increasing paranoid.  Latent racism that she had never exhibited came to the surface.  It was very sad to see her regress to her "worst self" before she died.

“The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day.” Gloria Steinem

by ahumbleopinion on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:30:24 PM PDT

•  I have seen that (10+ / 0-)

in people I know myself. But I can't explain it. What is it about Fox and Rush that attracts very elderly people when they get closer to death?

•  Fear? (3+ / 0-)
          ceebee7, mmacdDE, T Maysle

maybe going back to how it used to be is a comfort.Can't speak for your mom but many very elderly people have subtle (and less subtle) cognitive changes and are from an era where what you hear on the radio/see on TV is the truth. Their judgement might be a bit less sound, coupled with that generational trust of what's on TV/radio. They are suseptible to Rush and Beck.

•  at least part of it (1+ / 0-)
          T Maysle

is that a piece of Fox's formula is to make people feel self-righteous.

Combine general fear with fear of death, then elevate them to a feeling of moral superiority.

Voila!  They are hooked.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth - Abraham Lincoln

by Gustogirl on Mon May 27, 2013 at 11:05:51 AM PDT

•  My mom spoke Spanish and my family (30+ / 0-)

has lived along the border for 150 years. But this last decade, she has slid into the morass of Republican hate politics and the swamp of righting media. So sad to see. Nothing to do about it - Alzheimer's will rob her of the vote long before Obama does, or before the Mexicans will take over.  So sad though - reading her copy of Octavio Paz helped me learn Spanish.  She had a brain, a facility with language, the sense to teach us and show us when we were young the mixed heritage and geography of the border - our own history. And now she lives in terror of the "illegals", of the guys out cutting the neighbor's lawn.  It makes me genuinely angry and unforgiving of Rush, of Fox News, and most of all, of the GOP.

by ivorybill on Sun May 26, 2013 at 05:36:26 PM PDT

•  As your mother's health declined (2+ / 0-)
        mamamedusa, T Maysle

she became more afraid of losing control. It's a normal reaction to aging and health problems. I'm age 70 and I feel it myself. For one example I didn't used to have to exercise intentionally to protect myself from falls, and falls were not as much of a threat.

That fear can set you up to be attracted to the "haters." They prey on frightened people. The anger they teach can feel like an antidote to the fear.

by Rick B on Mon May 27, 2013 at 04:21:10 AM PDT

•  ... (3+ / 0-)
          Rick B, mamamedusa, T Maysle

I fell and broke my wrist a couple of years ago and also take precautions not to fall, primarily because of the cost.  Even with insurance, my surgery to have a steel rod put in my arm cost me almost $3,000 out of my pocket and it took a while to pay that off with monthly payments.

This makes me even more determined to vote for the party that looks out for the elderly and the sick.  I don't understand why the older voters go to the people who are so very anxious to take away the safety net they need as elderly people unable to work several jobs at once to make ends meet.  Cutting Medicare and repealing ACA would result in more loss of control for the individual.  Why run to that?

•  At 68 (0+ / 0-)

I'm becoming vulnerable to physical, emotional and financial shakiness. But the variability in the people here is a source of comfort.

People in this part of Montgomery County Maryland are varied, tolerant, and almost always just plain nice. If I walk slowly, they wait or give me room. If I act peculiar, they take no notice. I couldn't handle hateful Rethugs around me.

There's one or another group of black guys, my neighbors, sitting on the front steps of my building next to my window on some summer evenings. I can't help hearing them. I love the way they talk, the way they interact. Is that racist? I hope not. I'll take enjoyment anywhere I can get it.

I suddenly started a blog. http://jglookups.blogspot.com/.

by JG in MD on Fri May 31, 2013 at 08:23:28 AM PDT

•  Pleasure in the way they talk? That's good (0+ / 0-)

I graduated from an all white segregated high school and first began to know Black guys as fellow commissioned officers in the Army. I now live in a residential area of a major city that is racially and ethnically very diverse. The nearest food market is Mexican-owned now that the older firm sold it, so I practice my poor Spanish on the long-suffering clerks. Last Saturday the parking lot was totally full because of a quinceanera (Mexican girl's age 15 formal party. It's a big deal and I had never seen one before.)

Watching the small children  in the store with their parents is really fun. Up to age about 5 they just have fun where ever they are. Then they start mimicking their parents. Teenagers avoid the trip to the grocery store, and usually the parents seem more relaxed. Watching and listening to the interactions is great fun. I now see and enjoy things that I did not even know were happening when my kids were those ages. I felt too responsible for their behavior. Silly. Sensible people just enjoy the healthy children being children.

I've met black people on the bus who came from my home town and who attended the black segregated high school at the same time I was across town in the white school.

It's fun to interact with all these people and to observe them interacting among themselves. We have somewhat different cultures but we are mostly very much alike.

Racism? I have suffered from the racist restrictions I grew up living with, especially segregation and it's fall out, but overcoming those limitations is clearly not racist. The differences teach me about myself more than anything else.

by Rick B on Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 10:55:24 PM PDT

•  Exactly (10+ / 0-)

I've lived in Dallas all my life and the racism I see after Obama's election is shocking. The same people who owned slaves and were ignorant enough to delude themselves into thinking black people would not be granted civil rights then are the same people who were shocked that a black person would be elected president.

A little off-topic, because I'm in Downton Abbey withdrawal my wife and I are watching North and South (from the 80's with Patrick Swayze). It's pretty good. Not great. It's well acted, but it has that made-for-TV cheesy feel to it.

I support the two-state solution: for the USA.

by plok on Sun May 26, 2013 at 05:48:54 PM PDT

•  I live in CA and have experienced the same thing. (18+ / 0-)

Obama Derangement Syndrome indeed. Folks I never heard speak like that or send racist emails went off the deep end after the 08 election. It was truly amazing. I have had to tell a few of them off. Some of them were customers.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Sun May 26, 2013 at 06:12:58 PM PDT

•  I had to ask "friends" to stop sending me (15+ / 0-)

postings and emails of their hate. I simply said that I thought is was disrespectful to the Office of the presidency of the United States and that I disapproved. Most stopped but it was shocking to me the nice old ladies and church people engaged in the most unbelievable name calling. One time someone posted a rant about a dress that Mrs. Obama wore that looked sort of like the flag along with some name calling. I just posted every country western songwriter wearing a flag shirt and asked how that was different? Crickets.

•  Had friend, more like acquaintance, send me (20+ / 0-)

a picture of Obama with his feet propped up on the oval office desk accompanied by a scathing letter saying he didn't deserve to be there, much less prop his feet on the desk that we tax payers provided.

I promptly sent two pictures back.  The first of Reagan propping his feet on oval office desk. and the second one of George Bush doing the same.

Suffice it to say, that shut them up.

In the time it took Adam Lanza to reload, eleven children escaped. What if...

by Sixty Something on Sun May 26, 2013 at 07:20:20 PM PDT

•  Yeah. Like when Obama forced a Marine to (1+ / 0-)
            Ahianne

hold an umbrella over his head while he gave a speech in the rain. He was just showing whitey that HE'S the boss. Wait. There are pictures of Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr and other presidents doing the same thing? Sarah Palin, too? Never mind.

The Republican motto: "There's been a lot of progress in this country over the last 75 years, and we've been against all of it."

by Hillbilly Dem on Mon May 27, 2013 at 05:55:45 AM PDT

•  .... (0+ / 0-)

Even though there are pictures of him giving speeches in the rain with no umbrella at all, people latch on to that one picture.

The conservatives are masters at putting out talking points and repeating them so that people accept them as truth.

•  What surprised me was that most of it came from (5+ / 0-)

folks in our Elks lodge. BPOE - Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks! I did the monthly newsletter in '04 so everybody had my email. It was amazing the shit that I got. From Teachers! Cops! Firemen! Business people! People that get together and pass the hat for this charity and that charity - just seemed to lose it. I used to tell my husband that BPOE really stood for
          BePoor because every time we went to the lodge they needed money for this cause and that cause. Now granted the majority of folks did not go crazy but boy there sure was a minority that just lost it. I did like you and told them I did not appreciate such things. Don't hear much from any of them anymore. oh well!

by mrsgoo on Sun May 26, 2013 at 10:33:29 PM PDT

•  Props for telling racist customers off (6+ / 0-)

I had an ebay buyer I did that with once, the guy was from Finland and his handle was "nazi" with some numbers after it.  I told him sorry, I do not sell to Nazis nor anyone who would identify with them.  Surprisingly, I never got negative feedback from the guy.  He was willing to pay top dollar for the item and in the end it cost be a good bit of change, but it was worth it.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Sun May 26, 2013 at 08:36:52 PM PDT

•  My 74 year old mother-in-law, in Florida, (18+ / 0-)

says similar.  She is a financially comfortable, well educated centrist Dem from New York City.  She has said to us more than once, since 2008,

"I didn't want to believe it about some of my friends down here.  I didn't want to think they were that racist.  But I tell you, the things they have said about Barack Obama... it has opened my eyes and it has saddened me deeply."

This is in the St Pete/Tampa area.

•  Same here (8+ / 0-)

People I've known for a long time started showing their stripes (and fear) before Obama became president, but it looked like he would beat McCain. It wasn't blatantly racist, it was usually something like "I don't think America is ready for a black president"....stuff like that. I would ask why not, and what would change because he is black? None could articulate a sensible answer.

•  .... (15+ / 0-)

I got emails from people with pictures of watermelon and African natives dancing, saying "this is your new president." This from people who never in decades had sent any political or racist emails.  Some of it came through work email, which is more surprising.  We did get notification that work email should not be used for political content after a while.  Then I would get stuff like "....this may not be true, but....."

One of my work friends has a daughter-in-law who HATES Obama and sends her emails about him and for a while she would forward them to me.  In the past there was nothing like this.  She used to be funny and never was political on either side.  I would send corrective replies with links and she finally quit sending them to me, but I know she still sends them to everyone else.  I avoid her because every conversation, no matter the original subject, turns into something horrible about Obama.  The most puzzling thing is that her grown sons do not have health insurance and she is a science teacher and should be offended by the denials of scientific facts by the right.  Her husband is a member of a union and has done well financially because of that.  He is about to retire with a comfortable pension.  All of her circumstances point to the conservative point of view being bad for her, and yet....

•  I don't get it either (5+ / 0-)

How can people deny what's in front of their noses?  People like your work friend make the least sense of all......they should be educated enough to see through the blizzard of drek put out by the right, but many do not.
          About racism? There is something I truly don't understand. I've known people with racist attitudes and listening to them it's pretty bad, so how can people be like this and yet when push comes to shove it's all forgotten? I'm talking about someone who might see a house on fire and runs in to pull people out, or happens on a car accident and gets the person out before the car catches fire. These are things that people risk their lives to do and there isn't any hesitating over race, why do people spend their lives being cruel and hateful yet be ready to risk their life to help someone of the race they hate? Am I making sense?

•  yes. you are incredulous because being (2+ / 0-)
            Ahianne, Quackerz

like them is so foreign to your nature--you stretch to glean a bit of empathy (trying to walk in their shoes are you likely often do) yet you cannot. It is too far a stretch. I feel you reaching ;)

Nice try. I have trouble more with the rational part of it myself. Science teacher being so irrational. It's so clear that we are all the same, in Africa we'd be the minority. I can't fathom people so ruled by irrational emotions and so unaware of that.

I'd run from the room.

•  Obama is so non threatening a person (8+ / 0-)

Cultured, rational, moderate, very calm, concillatory by nature...so very Not scary. He's no Chris Christy (whose impulsivity would scare me in a POTUS).

It makes it so very clear that racists project onto him when they call him divisive and see him as angry and hateful.