View Diary: Why the Right Continue to Live in Mortal Fear (191 comments)

•  I have seen it as well... (43+ / 0-)

I think it was always there, just hidden beneath the surface.  The election of President Obama has brought it to the surface and for a time has made it seem worse but it is part of the healing process.  It will eventually be resigned back beneath the surface but never as deep.

It may take another hundred years to completely eradicate it but the healing has begun.  The racism is not as bad as it was the last time it was out in the open nor will the next time be as bad as this.

The same holds true with mexicans.  It used to be Italians and Polish and Irishmen that were considered the scum of the earth.  One day, it will be someone else.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:12:46 PM PDT

•  ... (39+ / 0-)

I agree that it was there all along, but didn't come out until now.  Maybe among themselves, they voiced it, but now that there is so much hate voiced on the right, they feel that they can say it to anyone.  I don't know, but it is upsetting to find that people you have known for 50 years are not at all what you thought.  Another thing that has surprised me is finding that people who are very inclusive of all races still have negative feelings about equal marriage rights.  I have trouble understanding the hate.  They are hating people that are not hurting them in any way for things that just are the way the are.  People are born being who they are as to race and sexual orientation.  Why hate that?  What a waste of energy.

•  "What a waste of energy." (17+ / 0-)

Exactly how I feel about it. All that hate and anger, for absolutely no reason at all, just seems so pointless and tiring.

•  I also have been incredulous at the hate (47+ / 0-)

I thought there would be some, of course. But how does one hate Pres. Obama with such vehemence? Everything about his career has been about assuaging those fears, of consciously and carefully cultivating non-racially threatening politics, of representing racially and ethnically diverse communities, of deliberately downplaying issues of the inner city or of poverty in the black community - devoting far less attention or eloquence than he should have, frankly. He's been a moderate Democrat and none of this polarization has anything to do with his actual positions.

Is the fear that deep? Do people really feel that Obama harbors such anger - the most patient, non-emotional and cerebral politician I think I have ever seen? I think Steinbeck's older man had it right, but the depth and the extent of the hate is frightening.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Sun May 26, 2013 at 05:25:32 PM PDT

•  If you and your cohorts (10+ / 0-)

have always treated minorities as second class citizens, or worse, you would naturally fear the obvious change in US demographics if you assume that minorities are always treated thus.

...and who, disguised as rambler american, mild mannered commenter for a great Democratic web blog, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.

by rambler american on Sun May 26, 2013 at 07:11:00 PM PDT

•  essentially, yes (4+ / 0-)
          ivorybill, Ahianne, fayea, samddobermann

all you say is how it actually is. I too am surprised how bad it is. You are right. It is horrible.

Yet, I don't think it is as bad where I am, even amongst Republicans who don't like the President. It May be a Southern thing or a non-New England thing (or possibly my experience here is biased but I don't think so).By bad I mean the deep anger and hatred.

I'm middle aged raised and live in the Northeast, and White. I believe I'm aware of the depth and span of racism around me and where I fall in that range. Being raised in the 70s, there was a lot of racism around. My parents had had bad experiences with their urban neighborhood- so I got to hear how the "Blacks" ruined the neighborhood (blockbusting). Yet they also were the only ones who stood up at a neighborhood meeting to prevent our neighbors from keeping Black familes from buying in our suburb. It was a wierd mix. My sister and I ended up having friends and dating people of all races because my parents generally Acted and demonstrated that everyone was of equal value, even though the statement about the old neighborhood would come from my father periodically. I picked up some racial biases and still sometimes have to root it out and catch myself but I make an effort to do so. I know my subconcious racism is there. And I see it in other White people my age and older particularly working class or less educated people-because of where I live and work I come in contact regularly with a large number and cross section of the people in my area.

There is NOT a deep racial hatred in general even in people who say racist things. It doesn't seem to have the same vehemence (hardly any really) as what we read about on right wing sites and hear about in other places. I don't sense the fear that you describe/we are talking about. At it's worst there is a repugnant stereotyping of people which I call out. In calling it out the person almost always waivers. In my coastal city most natives are relatively recent decendants of immigrants. I think that is why they waiver when I call them out, knowing that "Irish need not apply" and predudice at other ethnic/religious backgrounds is only a few generations away. They know it is wrong. I like them to know that it is no longer ok to talk like my dad did, like that, in anyone's company even other White people. And I don't hear this kind of thing often, maybe only once a few times a year directly to me at this point,and there has not been an uptick with Obama as President. I've not heard a peep of birther stuff or "usurper Kenyan" ideas.

•  ... (1+ / 0-)
            fayea

It is different in the South.  I wish it were not true, but it is.  It is true of people who are caring individuals who will do anything to help their friends and neighbors who are like them and consider themselves deeply religious, but fail to see the other side of their feelings.  Having enough people around them who feel the same way makes them feel like it is acceptable.

What I hate is hearing something like "...this black guy did...." Why does it matter what color he is?  Why not just say that a guy did something?  Why does the color always rise up in the sentence for some people?

•  I was equally frightened by the Bill Clinton hate (1+ / 0-)
          tobendaro

which was almost as virulent. The conspiracy theories ... the congressional investigations ... the contempt ... the impeachment fervor--it was like a feeding frenzy of sharks.

Now, of course, the racism adds some to the intensity and especially, to the mode of expression--lots of racist imagery available to pick up to bludgeon the President. But despite their best efforts, most people still like the guy, as they liked Clinton. All they can do is throw mud (or poo).

I think that some of the haters are having an existential crisis of the soul. They bought into the whole Reagan/Republican world view and it is not working out for them (or anyone else who is not very, very rich), but if the Democrats are right, then .... [something happens too dreadful to imagine or they must acknowledge the paucity of their own lives or something else soul-shattering or fill-in-the-blank]. That is why it is every Democrat, not just Clinton or Obama, because the party is a marker of everything not-Republican and therefore everything scary inside and outside their own heads.

Help us to save free conscience from the paw Of hireling wolves whose gospel is their maw. ~John Donne

by ohiolibrarian on Mon May 27, 2013 at 12:16:46 PM PDT

•  very upsetting. Such people call Obama "divisive" (5+ / 0-)

I find that infuriating.
        Essentially Obama is guilty of Presiding (governing) while Black.
        It brought out the racism in millions of White Americas and they blame him for it.

I often think that such anti Marriage equality people really do not fully get that people are BORN Gay. They think it's partly a "lifestyle" choice. As if some young boy would choose to be Gay in High School in the 80s or even now!

•  ... (1+ / 0-)
          Buckeye Nut Schell

Yes, it is puzzling.  A very open and tolerant friend of mine told me that she can't change being black, but gay people make the choice.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.  How can people who have had such discrimination aimed at them not see that they are doing the same thing to another group of people?

•  "Such people call Obama 'divisive'"... (0+ / 0-)

What they really mean is uppity...

•  I think some think uppity. I also believe (0+ / 0-)

some see him as divisive because they see that the country during his Presidency has become more polarized than ever. I do know a few Republicans who think this. THey are not racists or rather not so racist to have the "uppity" judgement. Many who judge Obama as arrogant secretly think he's uppity. But divisive means something different. For some it's just a way to smear Obama but others blame Obama for WHite racist people's reaction to him. THe Republican house  has acted differently with him than with any other President. To people who don't pay close attention to politics they might think "under Obama DC is more divided than ever" and blame him. And Fox et all of course fuels this.

I resent how Obama gets blamed for the racist reactions of some White Americans.

•  Why hate that? (2+ / 0-)
        avamontez, samddobermann
        They hate those people because they are taught to hate those people.

There are people like Bryan Fischer of American Family Association and similar groups whose lifestyle is financed and supported by teaching others to fear and hate "The Other." Such people are leaders who search for frightened followers and who teach them to be angry at some "Other" as an antidote to their fear. It's a form of tribalism.

It can be a very lucrative profession. Look at Rush Limbaugh.

The US Supreme Court has by its actions and rhetoric has ceased to be legitimate. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - over

by Rick B on Mon May 27, 2013 at 04:04:35 AM PDT

•  We can hope that one day no nationality or (14+ / 0-)

ethnic group will be "it."

I like your point that the present ugliness is a step in a long overdue healing process.

It matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever. Henry David Thoreau, in Civil Disobedience

by Had Enough Right Wing BS on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:38:21 PM PDT

•  The goal ought to be that someday it will be (11+ / 0-)

no one else.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:40:35 PM PDT

•  Jews before WW2 (2+ / 0-)
      Sam I Am, mamamedusa

my dad as a kid with his family were kept out of many hotels. An he wasn't allowed in college...Jew quota (negative quota keeping Jews out).

It's still there a tiny bit but much more superficial, mostly gone in the youngest generation (except renewed on the left by confusing Jews with Israel, but that' s another conversation).

So your theory of the process holds true if you look at how antiSemetism has changed in the US. In the South in early 1900s it wasn't clear if they were even "White". In the 30s or 40s their was a movie about a man who "passed" as a Jew--that was the main topic of the movie.

•  Gentleman's Agreement by Laura Z Hobson (0+ / 0-)

Movie was with Gregory Peck. Good movie and still appallingly pertinent.

by ohiolibrarian on Mon May 27, 2013 at 12:27:19 PM PDT

•  IT was Gentleman's Agreement (0+ / 0-)

made  in 1947 — after many people saw the results of the concentration and death camps.

Anti-Semitism was still rampant. The people of New York and the rest of the North East accepted the restrictions and quotas without thinking.

Universities like Harvard, Yale and the rest of the prestigious schools had a 5% limit on the Jews they would accept. I know that Duke did also.

From Wiki

Gentleman's Agreement is a 1947 drama film about a journalist (played by Gregory Peck) who goes undercover as a Jew to conduct research for an exposé on antisemitism in New York City and the affluent community of Darien, Connecticut.
        ...
        Zanuck decided to make a film version of Hobson's novel after being refused membership in the Los Angeles Country Club when it was assumed incorrectly that he was Jewish. Before filming commenced, Samuel Goldwyn and other Jewish film executives approached Darryl Zanuck and asked him not to make the film, fearing that it would "stir up trouble". They also warned that Hays Code enforcer Joseph Breen might not allow the film to pass the censors, as he had been known to make disparaging remarks about Jews. There was also concern that Dorothy McGuire's character being divorced would offend the National Legion of Decency. The role of Phillip Green was first offered to Cary Grant, but he turned it down. Peck decided to accept the role, although his agent advised him to refuse, believing he would be endangering his career. Jewish actor John Garfield agreed to play a lesser role in the film in order to be a part of the film.
        And
        Gentleman's Agreement received a generally favorable reception from influential New York Times critic Bosley Crowther.
        ...
        Crowther said that the movie shared the novel's failings in that "explorations are narrowly confined to the upper-class social and professional level to which he is immediately exposed." He also said that the main character's shock at the extent of antisemitism was lacking in credibility: "it is, in a careful analysis, an extraordinarily naive role."
        The "political nature" of the film  also attracted the attention of the House Un-American Activities Committee, with Elia Kazan, Darryl Zanuck, John Garfield, and Anne Revere all being called to testify before the committee.

Overt discrimination was alive and well long after that and is still a factor in American and even more so in British lives.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Mon May 27, 2013 at 06:53:38 PM PDT

•  When I was young (1+ / 0-)
      mmacdDE

The Italians were not considered white where we lived in Florida. Neither were the Jewish people, Native Americans, Hispanics, or anyone that wasn't white with blue, green or hazel eyes. It's strange to look back on those days ... my family had a large home that was divided up into apartments on one side, with our living area on the other. I'm sure they wouldn't rent to anyone that wasn't definitely "white" or otherwise "undesirable." The neighbors wouldn't have been happy with it at all.

They pushed it with a couple that were both deaf, but they white so they had that going for them.

It was just "how it was."

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Mon May 27, 2013 at 03:02:12 AM PDT

•  wouldn't it just (0+ / 0-)

make RW heads explode if our next President was also of a "non-white" nature.  LOL, it would epic.

Another black person, a Native American, a Latino, a woman of any stripe?  Oh my, the crap would really hit the fan if we could elect two in a row.  It would be so worth the spectacle.

Yes, I am psychic...or was that psycho? I always forget which.

by Farradin on Mon May 27, 2013 at 11:00:20 AM PDT

• Rescued (19)
  • Media (19)
  • 2016 (17)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Environment (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site