View Diary: Monday Night Cancer Club: What's Your Story? (48 comments)

•  There's a lot of controversy over PSAs (4+ / 0-)

as screening tests for asymptomatic men. I'm not fully up to speed on it by any means, but I can see why your doctor doesn't place a lot of credence in it.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon May 27, 2013 at 06:33:02 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I've heard a lot about that lately. (3+ / 0-)

They are discouraging testing for no reason because more men die of treatment of prostate cancer than the cancer itself.

My oncologst is not a big fan of any kinds f tests for a variety of reasons and I think one of his areas of research is better testing.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Mon May 27, 2013 at 06:59:08 PM PDT

•  This is such a clusterfuck. (2+ / 0-)
      peregrine kate, ZenTrainer

I was diagnosed with PCa one year ago this month.  I certainly would never forgo the PSA test, nor do I agree with the medical establishment's proposal to limit/curtail PSA tests.

The problem isn't the damn test, it's the UNWILLINGNESS of the medical community to engage men in more in-depth education surrounding PCa.  It's very, very complex, and it's counterintuitive for a urologist/oncologist to recommend no treatment.  They are all about treatment.  They are advocating the path of least resistance for THEM, not their patients.  They should just call their policy "ignorance is bliss."

I had to educate my urologist on my choice NOT to submit to the cut/burn paradigm since my cancer was small/low Gleason (lower risk).  He originally advised immediate RP - now he understands active surveillance better!  Men should all be tested, but they should be educated on the increasing information as to why many prostate cancers are NOT a prescription for immediate removal/radiation.

"A liberal is a man or a woman or a child who looks forward to a better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future." - Leonard Bernstein

by outragedinSF on Mon May 27, 2013 at 11:33:24 PM PDT

•  I should add... (3+ / 0-)

There are strong feelings on all sides of the PCa community.  My view does not represent many.  But I will say that there is a good MNCC diary in this topic.  And someday (soon) I will commit to doing one.  But it's a tough diary to write, since most in this community have really tough cancers and really tough treatments, and I am so in awe of those fighting so hard.

However, I do believe that men need to be educated on PCa to prevent overtreatment, or at least to be prepared for the diagnosis.  I certainly wasn't, and it took a ton of reading and research to come to my (current) view.

by outragedinSF on Mon May 27, 2013 at 11:49:22 PM PDT

•  outragedinSF, I'd be grateful if you wrote (2+ / 0-)
          ZenTrainer, outragedinSF

a diary about your PCa experiences and your analysis of the situation. You could reach a lot of people this way and do a lot of good.
          It is not easy to get up to speed about what's out there regarding any cancer; having a boost from someone who's been there and can point the way to good sources of information would be a help.
          Thanks for offering; just let me or ZT know what would work for you. And in the  meantime I'll put it on the list.

by peregrine kate on Tue May 28, 2013 at 06:21:44 AM PDT

•  I will start drafting... (2+ / 0-)
            peregrine kate, ProvokingMeaning

But I probably won't finish it until July.  My focus will be:  PSA testing and the diagnosis road, and to treat or not to treat for PCa in younger men (55 and under) and links to resources and discussions.   Partner and I are preparing for a vacation in a short time and will probably not be able to devote much time until our return in late June.

And if it is on the list and another community member wants to jump in with a diary before I complete mine, so much the better - it takes all views, right?

by outragedinSF on Tue May 28, 2013 at 10:04:42 AM PDT

•  Sounds great. Yes, there's no limit on diaries (2+ / 0-)
              outragedinSF, ProvokingMeaning

regarding just about any topic. We need all the discussion we can get. Thanks much in advance. Hope you have a great trip!

by peregrine kate on Tue May 28, 2013 at 12:10:38 PM PDT

•  I think this would be a great diary. (3+ / 0-)

And you're right, the argument has been to test or not to test when it should be to treat or not to treat or how to treat.

We need ways to treat cancer that don't kill us.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Tue May 28, 2013 at 07:44:12 AM PDT