View Diary: Saturday nutpick-a-palooza: women breadwinners and the end of civilization (217 comments)

•  Imagine the gall of women thinking (11+ / 0-)

they don't need men in order to live happy lives.  This might be a generational issue, but all my single friends avoid relationships because they've already raised children and don't have any interest in taking on a new one.  These men were infantalized in the 50's and 60's so you can't blame feminazis for their immaturity.  Hmmmm. I wonder where the problem lies.

by I love OCD on Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 10:21:08 AM PDT

•  I personally enjoy being married (8+ / 0-)

much of the time -- Mr. Scribe can be a bit of a handful to keep track of, so I do have the occasional frustrations and such. But there's so much more to a relationship than just family...and family doesn't necessarily mean kids, especially as people have aging parents who need their help.

by Cali Scribe on Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 10:54:56 AM PDT

•  It never occurs to these men (16+ / 0-)

that some people get married because they like each other--and never have children on purpose. Like us. And my husband, born in 1956,  is a better housekeeper than I am, because he CARES--and as good a cook. He's also retired Navy--23 years in the canoe club, worked a flight deck for 5 years. ANd he fought with swords in the SCA and road a Harley when he was much younger.  And he had a vas with his ex-wife, who'd hgad several miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy, and couldn't take the Pill for health reasons.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 11:15:32 AM PDT

•  My friends and I had marriages (2+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean, irishwitch

and most of us raised children.  At our age there are limited choices for finding partners.  Most of the available men are looking for a replacement for a wife who was a caretaker or have struck out several times.  My daughter has a different pool of men, many with less old fashioned ideas about relationships.

by I love OCD on Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 05:51:06 PM PDT

•  I was a widow at 34. (1+ / 0-)
          I love OCD

I met my second (and last) husband  18 months later. We'll be married for 25 years in August. Both were 6 and 7 years younger than me.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 08:32:44 PM PDT

•  That could help! I'm 63, my (1+ / 0-)
            irishwitch

contemporaries are rooted in past decades.  My role models were June Cleaver and Janis Joplin.  We're the cusp generation, still reading magazine articles about college being a great place to find a husband with earning power.

by I love OCD on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 04:18:02 AM PDT

•  I will be 64 in a few months (1+ / 0-)
              I love OCD

Mom worked fulltime as well as Dad--which is how I got out of college without student loan debt out the wazoo. My grandparents lived with us till tehy died in the 70s, so I got the best of both worlds--stay-at-home "parents" and the role model of a Mom who worked./ She and Dad told me I WOULD go to college and that every woman had to be prepared to support herself even if she chose to be a stay-at-home Mom because  husbands can become ill, die in an accident or leave you.  They were Irish-American practical.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 10:18:25 AM PDT