View Diary: GM wheat in Oregon may end Monsanto Madness (174 comments)

•  Will they pass it? Because California is so dumb (3+ / 0-)

we didn't even pass an initiative requiring GMO labelling on food packaging.

Since when is the party that embraces all the top tenets of Satan allowed to call the God shots?--wyvern

by voracious on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 02:17:46 PM PDT

•  Five to one. How many times has any (9+ / 0-)

politician or proposal ever succeeded in this country when outspent five to one?

On top of every major media outlet - including supposedly "public" television and radio - weighing in heavily against it?

Despite all that, we got 48.6 percent of the vote.  That fucking close.

"I would argue that its perfectly fine to blame the victim in part when they should know their actions will expose themselves for greater dangers" Game Guru

by JesseCW on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 02:58:17 PM PDT

•  This is the second time I've spent months of my (11+ / 0-)

life fighting like hell to block or pass a proposition, devoting hundreds of hours and money I simply did not have, to come within a few points of success....

and then hear about how stupid Californians are, usually from people who wasted their time and money on already clearly decided political races.

It's frustrating.  I'm not posting this in reply to voracious directly because I don't want to make assumptions about voracious personally, but I actually have gotten crap like that from people who were campaigning for Obama.  In California.  In 2008 and 2012. Like either was a tight race in this state that needed them out knocking on doors.

And, no, 8 and 37 aren't the only Props I ever did anything about, I'm talking about massive commitment.  But if as much energy had gone into trying to help Californians make the right choice as has gone into damning them for making the wrong one in both those cases, neither would have even been a contest.

A lot of us, in both those cases, were doing all we could to tell people we needed help.  Most folks decided to pay attention to nothing but the quadrennial efforts of the Media Trusts to pretend the Presidential Race was tight.

by JesseCW on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 03:07:05 PM PDT

•  I was so disappointed in the people who bought (7+ / 0-)

into the bullshit Monsanto was feeding us. If one more person said to me "That guy from Stanford said the initiative was poorly written and it doesn't even say anything about meat" I swore I was going to puke.

Of course when you ask them to actually read the ballot and see what it said it wasn't as mysteriously poorly written as they thought.

by voracious on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 03:58:48 PM PDT

•  But when all they had to do was defend the (0+ / 0-)

status quo, all they had to do was sow doubt and fear.

If our budget had matched theirs, we'd have beaten them by 10 points easy.

by JesseCW on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 10:45:23 AM PDT

•  Jackson County is conservative leaning (6+ / 0-)

but Obama narrowly won it in 2008, Ashland is there, and I think if this becomes a big enough issue, and locals can make the case that organic agriculture is important enough to the local economy, it might.

by James Allen on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 03:50:34 PM PDT

•  When something like this comes along (1+ / 0-)
        davehouck

there is no conservative or liberal they tend to become one to protect our interests from the other side of the country.

This has just painted all of the very conservative farmers a very clear picture of what the future holds for them.

It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is not what he has -Henry Ward Beecher

by PSWaterspirit on Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 07:53:23 PM PDT