View Diary: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who! (101 comments)

•  Well you wouldn't need a female doctor (8+ / 0-)

for Jack Harkness, since he's gay.

And Alex Kingston is pretty clearly not a future regeneration of the doctor, so if she took over, it would kind of mean the end of Doctor Who.

Apart from Matt Smith leaving, I'm pretty excited to find out how John Hurt's incarnation of the doctor plays into the 50th anniversary special.

•  It's interesting that they have John Hurt playing (9+ / 0-)

the Doctor, who is ostensibly at the end of his life.  A few seasons ago they got Derek Jacobi to play the Doctor's arch-nemesis, The Master, as an old man at the end of the Universe.

Pretty cool to see these lions of British cinema, clearly enjoying themselves in these roles.

That said, I will miss Matt Smith.  He brought a poignancy to the role.  The episode where the Doctor gets to actually meet the Tardis ("The Doctor's Wife") is probably near the top of my all-time favorites.  And I've been watching since Jon Pertwee was the Doctor.

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 11:34:09 AM PDT

•  A sweet episode indeed. (4+ / 0-)
        koosah, Rogneid, Matt Z, Aunt Pat

David Warner has portrayed The Doctor in audio versions put out by BigFinish.com (where you can find new stories Doctors #4-#8, voiced by the original actors).

•  Is it possible John Hurt is playing The Valeyard? (4+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat, koosah, Nica24, trumpeter

Future Evil Doctor first encountered by Colin Baker? He was name-dropped in the seventh season finale and if Matt Smith IS leaving he will be coming up pretty quickly (he's a regeneration between the 12th and 13th Doctor). How badass would it be to see an entire season or two of just Evil Doctor stories and then have the arc after that be one of redemption?

I'm almost positive Hurt is playing the Valeyard. He was name-dropped VERY conspicuously and Moffat never does stuff like that by accident.

Why do I have the feeling George W. Bush joined the Stonecutters, ate a mess of ribs, and used the Constitution as a napkin?

by Matt Z on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 12:57:38 PM PDT

•  A prevailing theory (3+ / 0-)
          Aunt Pat, koosah, Matt Z

for the reasons you mention.

•  Valeyard makes sense (1+ / 0-)
          Matt Z

Though I hope it's a one-off 50th anniversary thing.  I can't say I'm excited at the prospect of the franchise as a whole falling down some cliche "darker and edgier" wormhole with the new Doctor as a haggard old man who'd been explicitly described as not living up to the name.

Regeneration and new companions every season is one thing, but redefining the Doctor himself into his antithesis would be a bridge too far for me.

•  Hurt himself has hinted he's playing the (2+ / 0-)
          koosah, Matt Z

TRUE Ninth Doctor.  Eccleston was the 10th, and so on.

Remember, Matt Smith's Doctor knew him and knew what he did.  "He broke the promise".  And that this has been a great secret of the Doctor for years.

Which means that this is a PRIOR regeneration.

Which means the Valeyard is coming at Christmas.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 04:39:28 PM PDT

•  I am very new to Dr. Who (3+ / 0-)

I started by watching Matt, but then returned to the beginning of Eccleston's doctor. I really never warmed up to Eccleston but loved Tennant! And then there was Matt, who changed the role for me 100% there was such an innocence to his role as the doctor. I will really miss him and I hope, as a new whovian, I can fall in love with another doctor. But I am afraid, very afraid, that Matt may have ruined it for me, lol. His time with River was some of my favorite Doctor Who.
        I am very sad, but when Tennant left I thought I wouldn't want to watch anymore, and here I am lamenting Matt's departure!

Republicans piss on you and tell you it's raining, Democrats hand you an umbrella!

by Nica24 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 02:29:18 PM PDT

•  Eccleston (2+ / 0-)
          Nica24, koosah

was a major departure for The Doctor and would have been like casting Dustin Hoffman as Capt. Kirk in the new Star Trek.

Then the choice of companion would have seemed like picking Britney Speers at the time, but it turned out that Billie Piper could act, and a new generation of Whovians was born.

I love them all.

•  I always wondered why him? (1+ / 0-)
            koosah

I never felt like he liked the part or what he was doing. I see in the comments that he became a fan fave, but I always felt he was stilted in his delivery and not a natural. What about Tennant? I really liked his delivery, but like I said, I am very new to the series.

by Nica24 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 03:17:59 PM PDT

•  Oh and I should say I watched it backwards (1+ / 0-)
            koosah

I had already fallen head over heels with Matt and then went back and watched Tennant, who I also enjoyed. Recently I got to catch Eccleston's year in reruns and just couldn't warm up to him at all. Billie Piper is the only thing that got me through his episodes, she is very likable as a character.

by Nica24 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 03:21:04 PM PDT

•  The 9th Doctor (2+ / 0-)
              Nica24, koosah

was a rougher, colder Doctor, as he was either the instrument of his people's destruction in the Time War, or the first regeneration after, thus his contentious attitude.

With Eccleston, you have to look at how The Doctor changed with Rose and the chemistry with him and Capt. Jack.

Understand that it was fairly unheard of for The Doctor to be as intimate (for The Doctor) with a companion as compared to his predecessors. (Only in Jon Pertwee's final episode with Jo Grant did we see evidence he loved a companion).

I don't count the VERY forced "romance" with the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) since it was very contrived and the actor and actress had ZERO chemistry between them.

•  Nica24, every Whovian understands that one's (0+ / 0-)

first Doctor will always be THE Doctor for you.  He will be the Doctor against whom all others, before and after, are measured.  My first Doctor was Tom Baker.  I went back and watched the John Pertwee episodes afterwards.  I loved them, of course, but not quite as much.  I've been a great fan of most of the following Doctors since Tom Baker, but again...they're just not quite as good as him.

Like your first true love, you always will have a special affection for your first Doctor.

Welcome to the Whoniverse!  :^)

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 07:02:16 PM PDT

•  Actually, the character (6+ / 0-)

is bi, with a inclination toward omni. :)

Also, there is precedent for a Time Lord assuming the form of an existing character. The second Romana took the form of Princess Astra

• Recommended (126)
  • Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site