View Diary: Exposing Crisis Pregnancy Centers and their disgusting tactics (89 comments)

•  Thanks a heap for supporting groups that (8+ / 0-)

practice false imprisonment and coercion and harassment. I've used PP when I thought I was pregnant (I wasn't; it was a Pill malfunction because I was on birth control at the time, as I always was when sexually active).  The counseling covered ALL the options including keeping the baby and adoption. They also make sure you know the facts about contraception which the CPCs lie about.

And you are in the minority, being "haunted." Several megastudies have proved that. If you are still haunted, I honestly suggest that you get some counseling.  I suspect there's more going on here than regret.

Did you finished school? Get a degree? Get a decent job?  Most of that would have been very difficult with a baby to support.These days resources are very limited thanks to "welfare reform."

I read a statistic once to the effect that girls who get pregnant in high school have a 1% chance of completing college before age 30.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 09:31:00 AM PDT

•  Where did I say I supported coercion? How is (0+ / 0-)

hearing both sides coercion. I am simply saying that ALL options should be not only presented but presented EQUALLy without bias. And it would be helpful if questions are asked that help the women make up their own minds, rather than acting like they know what is best or that everyone who comes in is seeking the same solution.

•  PP and any clinic I've dealt with (2+ / 0-)
        annrose, Womantrust

DOES provide information on all options. The one time I used PP, it did precisely that--moot point because it was Pill issue, not pregnancy.  I've used PP for birth control and PAP smears too. They are respectful, competent and professional.  They don't HAVE a bias since abortion is only about 5% at most of their services, and they aren't out to make money--they're non-profit.

It's CPCs that don't.  They browbeat and coerce and guilt-trip women who come there expecting access to abortion into not having one.  They offer no information on alternatives to carrying pregnancy to term--and preferably giving the baby up for adoption. To accomplish this, they've been known to lock women in a room and force themt o watch a highly error ridden film.

Apparently you had an unusual experience.  The vast majority of women have abortions without any negative reactions--but I can promise you a CPC would have made it much, much worse. They coerce you into having a baby--and then abandon you when you do. And they're msotly run by fundygelical Republicans who HATE the idea of Welfare and Medicaid and have no real interest in helping single Moms.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 11:10:11 AM PDT

•  I think you're being a bit harsh here. Someone (2+ / 0-)
      marykk, elfling

should be able to state their own experience, even if it doesn't jive quite with what you want to hear or believe, without being attacked.  We're about being pro-choice, not pro-abortion.  This was a woman who feels she wasn't really given a choice.  That might be right or it might be wrong, but it's how she's feeling right now.  And the fact that she's questioning her decision does not mean she needs some kind of therapy.  Depending on when it happened and what she's going through now, it's perfectly normal to question herself and her decision.  While statistics might well show that few women who have abortions regret them, that doesn't mean none of them have felt regrets ever.  Cut her some slack for having her own emotions and her own experience.

by gustynpip on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 11:07:05 AM PDT

•  This is what I felt reflected a support for CPCs. (2+ / 0-)
        Womantrust, rhyme and reason
        I wish that someone had hammered home to me that there WAS a way I could have and raise my baby myself when I was a teen and found myself pregnant. Rather than someone saying, "yeah, you're in no way ready to have this baby" would have presented both sides
        Because find it hard to believe that a counselor at a clinic would have pushed her into anything--and it sure sounds like she wished someone had just pushed very hard on carrying to term. Pointing out the pros and cons of carrying to term is precisely what counselors at, say, PP DO.  ANd part of that counseling is presenting a realistic view of what being a teenage parent entails.

What is WRONG is the rosy picture these CPCs present. They sound like they'll help you through pregnancy, provide support and help to raise the child. They don't. What they WANT is a white baby for their adoption miles. If the girl DOES choose to keep the baby, they may give her a small layette (a blanket, an few pieces of clothing, a couple of bags of diapers)---then they want nothing to do with her. She ends up on her own, the boyfriend isn't in the picture, she may not have much family support--if she's lucky, she can graduate from high school.  I TAUGHT GED classes--and that was the story for the girls I taught. One had a scholarship to college--but that went away when she got pregnant. .

She wanted someone to "hammer home" that she could keep her baby. That is the OPPOSITE of non-biased counseling.

The reason I suggested therapy is that if she feels this level of regret and it's shortly after the abortion, there may be something else going on. Even if there's not, talking to a counselor is still a good idea.

o

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 11:55:45 AM PDT

•  But she didn't say she was pressured by a (1+ / 0-)
          elfling

counselor at PP.  She said everyone around her.  Which I took to probably be her family.  She didn't say who it was.  I can certainly envision a situation where a family was trying to push her to do what they thought best for her and she didn't have anyone pointing out other possibilities.  I have no idea how much counseling was done where she got her abortion; I know none was done for me.  I made the appointment, went in and had the procedure.  (It was a doctor's office, not a PP; this was the days when abortion was actually available without doctors having to fear for their lives.)  When I cried after, one of the nurses squeezed my hand for a minute, and that was it.  So yes, I can see how a woman could feel that she didn't have all the information available to her and could question the decision.

And if she has doubts as to whether it was the right decision, she's entitled.  And if she feels she was pressured and would have like someone pushing from the other side as well, she's entitled to that, too.

by gustynpip on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 12:47:25 PM PDT

•  I did not hear that (1+ / 0-)
      gustynpip

I heard her having felt pressured.  All the pg teens we fostered reported the same.  It can be a tough line to walk, offering support without trying to influence the decision.  The CPC's pay lip service to support, but in my experience really try to urge surrenders.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 11:59:45 AM PDT

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (60)
  • Elections (31)
  • Media (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site