View Diary: NSA also scooping up your internet activity (244 comments)

•  I find your comment misleading, (0+ / 0-)

particularly this:

This has nothing to do with the Constitution
    The information scooping that's going on could have a variety of reasons behind it.  But I sincerely doubt that the focus of it is to merely provide information for corporations to use to entice us to buy more stuff.  Corporations already have their own ways of keeping track of what we buy and what our interests are (thanks, Google, ya nosey jerks).

"A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more." - from the prophet Jeremiah

by 3goldens on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 04:45:46 PM PDT

•  Hi 3G...taking a reading break (1+ / 0-)
      3goldens

what I was trying to say, however inelegantly, was that the entities controlling the systems we use to communicate are profit-driven corporations, who care nothing for our conceptualizations of privacy.  But also, they have built a model where we are not being forced to give away our privacy, but are actually encouraging us to do so by using their structures.  Rather than the fear of sticks that the 20th century gave us, we now live in a world of carrots, with the end result being that our lives are made more and more a part of the public sphere.  As we collaborate in making our lives more public, the information we knowingly make available is used by a variety of entities government, political parties, other companies selling stuff, etc.  And since we put this stuff forward in a medium that is mostly unregulated and controlled by private interests, we lose or waive our 4th amendment rights.

To be free and just depends on us. Victor Hugo.

by dizzydean on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 07:00:48 PM PDT

•  Thanks for responding and (1+ / 0-)
        dizzydean

after reading through your comment (I did re-read your previous comments higher up earlier), I understand much better what you were saying.  I appreciate the privacy we are giving up because of how things are structured----and I admittedly worry and wonder where goes the 4th Amendment when our politicos don't seem real inclined to address what we're losing. We live in interesting times---and now I really get why that is a Chinese curse.

And I hate, loathe and despise those Google tracking ads!  I'm reading a political blog and in the margin up pops ads for LL Bean or Lands End or some other place I've shopped at on-line.  Like I can't find my way to those websites without constant reminders!  Grrrrrr!

by 3goldens on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 07:18:28 PM PDT

•  Read this from the Inqy's webpage on (1+ / 0-)
          3goldens

what the political parties are doing with the data:

It is disgusting, which is why I don't have TV, Facebook, or a smart phone.  Still, here I am on Kos....

To be free and just depends on us. Victor Hugo.

by dizzydean on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 08:04:28 PM PDT

•  Heading over to that link (1+ / 0-)
            dizzydean

and I'm definitely glad that I never got into Facebook----thought it was too open.  But I've got a smart phone and a "smart" tv set with a wi-fi link to my computer modem for a broadband connection.  Ugh.  Do I need to put a black drape over it when I'm not using it?!  "They" could still probably listen in, however.  Anyway, heading over to that link you provided.

by 3goldens on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 08:10:40 PM PDT

•  Election campaigns are going to (1+ / 0-)
              dizzydean

get really, really ugly.  I was, frankly, NOT pleased to receive a post card from it was either the Democratic Party of WI or else it was the Obama campaign thanking me for voting early last fall!  That they even KNEW that I'd voted, much less early (as did Mr. 3g) really ticked me off.  That was entirely too close for comfort!  That was my intro to what the Obama campaign knew about voters and in WI we don't declare a Party when we register to vote.  So, this had to be based on other information they have on me.  If the political parties start chasing voters around using personal information, they're going to just tick people off.  Especially regarding voting!  Why have a secret ballot when some yahoo knows everything right down to WHEN you cast your ballot!

by 3goldens on Thu Jun 06, 2013 at 08:24:00 PM PDT