View Diary: Saturday nutpick-a-palooza: Did you know Chris Christie is fat? (133 comments)

•  In other news, San Onofre shut down permanently (17+ / 0-)

Glitch-hit US nuclear plant shut down for good
    Key graf:

But SCE parent company Edison International's chairman Ted Craver said experts had finally concluded that they cannot resolve the problems quickly or comprehensively enough.

"We have concluded that the continuing uncertainty about when or if (San Onofre) might return to service was not good for our customers, our investors, or the need to plan for our region's long-term electricity needs," he said.

•  nu-ku-lar mousetits!!! (31+ / 0-)

Warning - some snark may be above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "I’m not the strapping young Muslim socialist that I used to be" - Barack Obama 04/27/2013

by annieli on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 10:16:11 AM PDT

•  RUMSFELD! n/t (11+ / 0-)

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 10:17:32 AM PDT

•  That, according to climate scientist Jim Hansen... (2+ / 0-)
        6412093, alain2112

...saved lives.

Prevented Mortality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Historical and Projected Nuclear Powe

It's pretty funny how many people who can't name a single person ever killed by San Onofre's operations couldn't give a rat's ass about the stuff that will replace the plant, and no, it isn't the expensive, toxic and useless solar industry, nor the unsustainable wind industry.

It's pretty funny here when people who don't know how things work complain about climate change and fracking.

Congratulations to the fearful and the ignorant on this tragedy of shutting a major piece of climate change gas free infrastructure.

Heckuva job.

It rains on - or bakes - the guilty and the innocent alike, but it's beyond question that humanity will get what it deserves.

Have a nice weekend.

•  You are making assumptions about (9+ / 0-)

people here you've never met. You have no idea what expertise is hiding behind the screen name.
          Be civil or be gone.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 11:23:33 AM PDT

•  Is this something new? Making assumptions... (3+ / 0-)
            Olkate, alain2112, onanthebarbarian

...about people that one hasn't met?

Tell me all about it.

I can't tell you the number of times during my tenure here, in the 399 diaries I wrote before I gave up, that people made assumptions about me and my motivations.

Apparently there are many people here who assume, without any justification beyond perhaps their own mentality, that no one can do anything except for money.

The form of address I often encountered while writing here in what proved to be a losing cause was, um, "nuclear shill."

I have always asserted that my passion for nuclear energy was about something called "ethics" and nothing else, but such declarations have never mattered.

In any case, my personal interactions here are not the source of my bitterness; my personal issues are trivial, since I don't matter.   The source of my bitterness is pretty much the same as Jim Hansen's, the destruction of the atmosphere for future generations, the fact that I have to face my sons at the dawn of their adult lives with the knowledge - I read the Environmental primary scientific literature obsessively, like a doomed man studying the electric chair - of the condition of planet my generation is handing them.

As for you...It's true that I don't know you...and I don't care about you specifically but I do know something about the class of anti-nukes in general, believe-you-me.

I wasn't making a specific assumption about anyone in particular, I was merely making an assertion - which I stand by - about the entire class of people who hate, out of fear and ignorance, the form of energy developed and promoted by, among others, Nobel Laureates on the order of Glenn Seaborg, Enrico Fermi, Eugene Wigner, Hans Bethe.

Seaborg, in particular, probably one of the two greatest chemists this country ever produced, educator, diplomat, personal friend of both John Kennedy and Nikita Khruschev, adviser to eight presidents, President of the American Chemical Society, Chancellor of the University of California, Nobel Laureate, Discoverer or Co-discoverer of more elements of the periodic table than any other human being, discoverer of a major concept in chemical periodicity and Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission oversaw and directed the construction of more than 70 of the 100 nuclear reactors in this country, including the reactors being destroyed by fear and ignorance at San Onofre.

Look here:   According to the World Health Organization, 3.3 million people die each year from air pollution.  Half of them are under the age of five, and as a former resident of Los Angeles and San Diego, I can assert with assurance that some of those dead lived in California.

Three point three million per year means that during the nearly six decades of history of the nuclear industry, more people died from air pollution than died from all causes in World War II.    It also means about one person dies every 9 or 10 seconds, more than six per minute, 377 per hour, 9000 every day.

If you would like to assert that in the sixty year history of commercial nuclear energy on this planet that it was responsible for as many deaths as will be caused in the next two days from nuclear energy - and spare me the links to the circle jerk of anti-nukes citing one another, and use the primary scientific literature to do so - I invite you to use your "expertise" to do so.

I really don't know what your point about "expertise" is - although my general experience of this website suggests to me at least that the general level of scientific expertise here is pretty low - but the cheering here for shutting nuclear plants that exist and preventing new ones from being built is in my mind - and I think as an obvious corollary to his cited paper, in Hansen's mind as well - is cheering for death and destruction.    In general I judge the level of people's expertise by what they say, and not by what they tell me they are.

I will say this as well, reiterating my remarks at the opening of this comment, that much of the whining I hear here is hypocritical.

Have a swell weekend.

Your pal,

"Nuclear Shill," NNadir.

•  The Twin Tits of Death by the highway. (5+ / 0-)

This news is very good.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 11:25:00 AM PDT

•  the peaceful Adam (2+ / 0-)
        commonmass, Dirtandiron

by annieli on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 12:13:10 PM PDT

•  Bushehr or Bush Era (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass
          A report recently published by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace concluded that sanctions are unlikely to force Tehran to give up its nuclear program.
          The report, titled "Iran's Nuclear Odyssey," highlighted the fact that Tehran's quest for a nuclear program has been going on for more than half a century, beginning under the rule of the pro-American shah, Reza Pahlavi, and continuing under the revolutionary Islamic republic that overthrew him.
          The program’s cost—measured in lost foreign investment and oil revenue—has been well over $100 billion.

The Bushehr nuclear reactor took nearly four decades to complete and cost almost $11 billion (measured in today’s dollars), making it one of the most expensive reactors in the world.

Bushehr provides merely 2 percent of Iran’s electricity needs, while 15 percent of the country’s generated electricity is lost through old and ill-maintained transmission lines.

Despite aspirations to be self-sufficient, Iran’s relatively small uranium resources will inhibit the country from having an indigenous nuclear energy program.

Iran is the only nuclear state that is not a signatory to the Convention on Nuclear Safety, and its nuclear materials and stockpiles are some of the least secure in the world.

Most ominously, the Bushehr reactor sits at the intersection of three tectonic plates.

by annieli on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 12:29:13 PM PDT

•  Ship San Onofre to Wyoming (5+ / 0-)

where they can use it to power all Dick Cheney's replacement parts.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 10:40:13 AM PDT

•  Who says prayers aren't answered? (3+ / 0-)
      commonmass, CwV, whenwego

Better late than never.

I must be dreaming...

by murphy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 10:44:19 AM PDT

•  one down, one to go... (3+ / 0-)
      commonmass, Tinfoil Hat, whenwego

Pacific Gas & Electric Company went through six years of hearings, referenda and litigation to have the Diablo Canyon plant approved. A principal concern about the plant is whether it can be sufficiently earthquake-proof. The site was deemed safe when construction started in 1968.

By the time of the plant's completion in 1973, a seismic fault, the Hosgri fault, had been discovered several miles offshore. This fault had a 7.1 magnitude quake 10 miles offshore on November 4, 1927, and thus was capable of generating forces equivalent to approximately 1/16 of those felt in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

The company updated its plans and added structural supports designed to reinforce stability in case of earthquake. In September 1981, PG&E discovered that a single set of blueprints was used for these structural supports; workers were supposed to have reversed the plans when switching to the second reactor, but did not. According to Charles Perrow, the result of the error was that "many parts were needlessly reinforced, while others, which should have been strengthened, were left untouched." Nonetheless, on March 19, 1982 the Nuclear Regulatory Commission decided not to review its 1978 decision approving the plant's safety, despite these and other design errors

by annieli on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 11:19:01 AM PDT

•  I used to work at Diablo Canyon... (1+ / 0-)
        whenwego

Your comment is incomplete and very misleading.  Unit two is a mirror image of unit one.  When the blueprint error was discovered, the correct structural reinforcements were put in place.

This all happened years before I started working there.  During my time there as an operational and test engineer, Diablo Canyon was consistently rated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission as one of the safest plants in the country.

If you want to criticize nuclear power, fine.  However,  spreading misleading information, as you have done here, makes it seem that you are less than objective in your critique.

•  one down, one to go (0+ / 0-)

Watch Diablo Canyon on PBS. See more from Need To Know.

by annieli on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 07:25:18 PM PDT

•  Your second video validates my point... (0+ / 0-)

Right about the 5:30 mark, "the company did a second retrofit".  This is the retrofit to which I referred when I said

the correct structural reinforcements were put in place.
            The NRC, at least when I was working there, was competent, vigilant, and well aware of the geography and the risks.  If things have changed, either geologically, population centers shifting, or other changes, I am confident the NRC will take that into account.

There is nothing that is risk free.  Perhaps you and others don't think the risk is worth the benefit.  If so, I suggest you demonstrate to the NRC why the operating license should be revoked.