View Diary: Parenting on the Autism Spectrum - That's Going to Leave a Mark (50 comments)

•  That's always the question. (7+ / 0-)

Dosage or no dosage. Higher or lower. They're trying Seroquel now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've been through so many that I don't even remember if we tried Zoloft.

My 17 yo went away for a month to a stabilization program. He's coming home tomorrow. They weren't able to do anything with him either.

You just keep on keeping on. What else you gonna do?

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

by PowWowPollock on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 07:18:31 AM PDT

•  That's so hard, I'm sorry (6+ / 0-)

We went through so many meds before we hit on what worked.

But I'll be honest, what was truly her worst behavior, the violent stuff, just kind of went away after awhile.  I don't know what caused it and I don't know what ended it.

Hang in there.  I wish I had better advice.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 07:27:38 AM PDT

•  Seroquel ... (6+ / 0-)

worked for us, but only in combination. When my son was younger the magic mixture was Seroquel, Straterra, and Abilify. He's been off meds now for about 6 years.

We tried Zoloft but he had such HORRIBLE nightmares when he was on it. He was dreaming about everyone dying every night, sometimes he died, sometimes he was the one killing people, sometimes people were dying in horrible accidents. So that was the end of THAT med. He was 7 at the time. He was ok when he was awake, it did cut the violent behaviors and such, but with it coming out in his subconscious like that, we were all afraid he'd snap and really hurt someone else or himself one day.

As he got older he had the violent outbursts less and less. A lot of it we think was sensory overload related. As he was better able to articulate what was wrong, and when we started home schooling him and gave him more control over his environment and his sleeping schedule (he also was never a morning person, and still goes to bed around 4am and gets up around 1 or 2 pm) his behaviors improved. Now he still gets stompy, grumpy days when he wants to be left alone, but he doesn't get violent, and he's learned to deal when things come up and he has to interact on those days (though he makes sure to take time to himself after). It's closer to 'typical' teen age behavior at this point.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 08:08:42 AM PDT

•  Mefloquin did that to me (4+ / 0-)

We were guinea-pigs in the Peace Corps.  Those kind of nightmares stay with you and they do effect your day time behavior.

It's hard to focus on the day when you shot your own brother in the face in a dream, and you really felt like you did it.

It still makes me shudder, and this was twenty years ago.

I switched meds and took the higher risk of getting malaria rather than suffer through those dreams.

That's awesome he's off his meds.  Really awesome.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 09:08:16 AM PDT

•  What scared me was.. (3+ / 0-)
          coquiero, koosah, second alto

One of the potential side effects of Zoloft was suicidal tendencies. And he was 7. We weren't sure how they would present in a child that young. We were also worried the nightmares would drive him towards that.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 09:17:59 AM PDT

•  wow, the sleep schedule! just like my teen's (1+ / 0-)
        second alto

do you have any plans or ideas for how he's going to find work that will be adaptable to that? we're really pretty worried. ours is homeschooled also, but neurotypical AFAWeK...

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 10:31:31 PM PDT