View Diary: Left Wing Follies #1 (14 comments)

•  I think the problem arises when (2+ / 0-)
    WB Reeves, commonmass

The same old shit gets repeated ad nauseum. It starts to look like talking points. People start to associate those repeating said talking points with a particular side of a debate.

Those on that side of the debate start getting their motives questioned when, after so many iterations of talking point regurgitation, nothing new of value is offered.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 03:48:25 PM PDT

•  Who gets to decide (1+ / 0-)
      commonmass

what's a talking point? What's the difference between that and an argument you don't accept but the other person does?

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 04:02:48 PM PDT

•  No centralized "decider" needs to be identified (1+ / 0-)
        WB Reeves

As to your other point, the difference is seems self-evident: the other person accepts what I consider a canned answer as sufficiently explanatory.

The difference in perspective seems insurmountable, after a certain point, in a debate where the same participants are engaging.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 04:34:25 PM PDT

•  Hmm.. (0+ / 0-)
          the difference is seems self-evident: the other person accepts what I consider a canned answer as sufficiently explanatory.  (emphasis added)
          It seems clear that the actual decider is yourself. Since your standard is frankly subjective and idiosyncratic I'd tend to agree that differences of opinion with others would appear insurmountable.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 04:47:27 PM PDT

•  I assumed an answer of 'me' (0+ / 0-)

was sort of a given, seeing as I'm not made of IC's, capacitors, and resistors.

You can consider everything I say a talking point, if you so choose, though it matters little what we call them.

I'd like to think my repetition comes more in the form of posing the same questions, than it does in repeating the same answers, but that's not something I'm able see objectively, obviously.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:07:14 PM PDT

•  Why would I treat anything you said as a (0+ / 0-)

talking point? Assuming it was a talking point, why would I treat it any differently than any other argument presented?

What I was trying to get at was your criteria for labeling something as a talking point. Your response was essentially that you know it when you see it. That pretty much excludes the possibility of agreement with anyone who wont adopt your subjective take. You can't have a productive debate on that basis.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:23:57 PM PDT

•  My critieria is the same shit over and over again (1+ / 0-)
                WB Reeves

Thread after thread. I know what you're driving at, I really do.

Do you expect to have a productive debate with a Republican who offers Reince Priebus's talking points about ObamaCare?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:36:35 PM PDT

•  So it's your opinion that members of the Kos (0+ / 0-)

community should be treated as "a Republican who offers Reince Priebus's talking points about ObamaCare"?

That is, as political enemies?

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 04:35:05 PM PDT