View Diary: Police allow serial rapist to continue predating after charging teen for falsely reporting rape (141 comments)

•  ... (14+ / 0-)

I looked in four different dictionaries and none of them had any other meaning for “predating” other than variants of “prior dating.”

However, regardless of the accuracy of their comments, the tone of the response to them really isn’t warranted, IMHO. All they were pointing out was that the word choice confused them.

Republicanism: the political theory that the poor have too much money and the rich do not have enough.

by bacchae1999 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 09:54:42 AM PDT

•  Pre-dating (2+ / 0-)
      rbird, Kevskos

And predating are not the same.

•  Not according to the four dictonaries I looked in. (9+ / 0-)

pre·date (pr-dt)
        tr.v. pre·dat·ed, pre·dat·ing, pre·dates
        1. To mark or designate with a date earlier than the actual one: predated the check.
        2. To precede in time; antedate.

In fact, the only dictionary that listed "pre-dating" as a valid word was the Urban Dictionary. The rest were "predating."

by bacchae1999 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 10:16:41 AM PDT

•  Then when you search for dictionaries (1+ / 0-)
          rbird

you need to select advanced reading level.

•  Okay, (8+ / 0-)

I know I probably shouldn't even go there, because you are long time user, but there really isn't any reason to be  nasty.

For what it’s worth, I did look at “Advanced Reading Level” dictionaries and they said the same as above.

Please don’t assume that anyone who is confused by your word choices is uneducated. My student loan debt says otherwise.

by bacchae1999 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 10:24:14 AM PDT

•  Listen, your context was skewed because (3+ / 0-)
            BlackSheep1, wader, Pi Li

the initial rape predated the subsequent rapes, in that it came before.

I cannot find a pun in there. It was awkward. You are rather pompous.

Oxford adds any old thing these days.

I own actual bound paper dictionaries.

I also pronounce divisive: divissive, not device-ive.

Online dictionaries are crap IMO.

Here ends my string of thoughts on the matter.

•  But you were sucessful in derailing the post (5+ / 0-)

comments.

With something you should kos mailed.

The right thanks you.

•  WTF is wrong with you? (5+ / 0-)

Email kos because I diarist misused a word? WheninRome offered a kind suggestion to fix a glaring and confusing grammatical erro, and you've acted like a complete dick. Perhaps that is something that should come to kos' attention in an email, but the grammar error was raised nicely, in a forum that would call it your attention in a timely way to fix it. Instead, for some reason, you've taken this as an insult to your honor and have picked up your dueling pistol. Put it away, get off your high horse, and apologize. Then, you might consider why your'e acting this way. If you haven't had a crushingly bad week, you might want to to talk to someone about your bizarre behavior.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 11:25:13 AM PDT

•  Kos mail here is emailing using the message (7+ / 0-)

system built into Daily Kos - I sincerely doubt he means emailing the great and powerful Kos, himself.  That way it gets handled through emails back and forth between users rather than publicly posted in the diary.

•  I had one email here. Didn't realize it for months (0+ / 0-)

Not a very useful way to get someone's attention.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 11:35:55 AM PDT

•  Took me awhile to check, but the system (0+ / 0-)

does let you know when you have new messages (and at least I get an email to further alert me in case I'm not looking at DKos on the web).  It took me awhile to check it on a occasional basis.  Someone in the midst of an argument might check it if a poster said "Check your kosmail" and then the whole thread would be much shorter (at least the public exchange).

•  Predate has this obscure usage. Predating does not (4+ / 0-)

The OED is probably the only source for your idea that predate has the meaning of a verb form of predation. However, you will not find predating used that way. Of course, now you are your own source, having created this usage. Perhaps, you can convince OED to adopt it now.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 11:33:46 AM PDT

•  unnecessary harping and nitpicking and... (6+ / 0-)

avoiding the subject of the diary itself. Just stop. Did you even bother to rec the diary or tip the diarist? I don't see that you did. So you aren't here to discuss the subject, you seem to be here in this diary solely to nitpick and name call, even when asked to stop by the diarist. It's bad manners.

"Watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal..."-7.75, -5.54

by solesse413 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 01:07:46 PM PDT

•  I came to read about the subject (1+ / 0-)
                      Be Skeptical

There wasn't much to the diary to begin with, except an unsupported screed against the police, based on a quote lifted from a lawsuit...which are always self-serving characterizations of the facts.

Frankly, if the police were leaning on this girl, it seems highly unlikely that there was a lot of evidence of a rape. Why would they deliberately disregard evidence of a crime in this case? Right, police are misogynists who always take the man's side. I thought about saying that, but I didn't feel like getting into a pissing match. Rather, I tried to break one up.

In any case, whatever the truth of the matter, there's little in the diary itself to commend it. So, I didn't tip or rec the diary.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 01:54:33 PM PDT

•  reading about this subject would be helpful (1+ / 0-)
                        chimene

I commend you for coming to read about this subject. This shows that you have not read much about it in the past:

•  As a person who only periodically reads DKos, I (2+ / 0-)
                  Kevskos, Another Grizzle

can say that you are an example of why I don't read more often.

Well, you and the rest of the vocab police tag team.

•  Advanced Assholery (2+ / 0-)
            Calamity Jean, BlackSheep1

is what I'm seeing herein.

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation..."--David St. Hubbins

by Old Left Good Left on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 10:39:02 AM PDT

•  No, YOU need to stop claiming authority (4+ / 0-)
            radmul, andalusi, wader, Pi Li

YOU don't have as an arbiter of what is and is not the correct meaning of the word YOU used wrongly.

Predate means exactly that: date before.

Predatory means the behavior of a predator.

If you cannot use standard English as it is spoken and written in the UK, the US and around the world, YOU are the one at fault here, not your readers.

Educate yourself. Your "advanced reading level' is a self-adjudged advantage, and you're using it very poorly indeed.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 01:47:23 PM PDT