View Diary: Google asks government to allow publishing of national security request information (75 comments)

•  It's only because the President was targeting (0+ / 0-)

Tea Party groups in Benghazi via the AP while the IRS was burning whitey tapes in Reverend Wright's back yard with Bill Ayers in order to create death panels and force five year olds to take Plan B.

Don't believe me? Just wait until he nominates bin Laden to replace John Roberts on the supreme court in his third term.

Fucking Snowdon stole classified information and I don't care if it helps lead to the end of data mining (which President Obama admits is happening and isn't about to stop because a bunch of people raise a stink about him looking at their pootie pictures), stealing classified info isn't smart and if he is carrying sensitive information that could jeopardize our agents abroad (as has also been hinted), then I'm happy to wait 27 years so the comparisons his defenders are making of him to Nelson Mandela are valid.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

by darthstar on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 03:17:32 PM PDT

•  It's Snowden (0+ / 0-)

With an "e."  I look at his actions as a form of civil disobedience.  The Left of the 1960s would have been proud of that young man.  Now Democrats, or a lot of them, want to lynch him.  Times have sure changed.

For this you went to college?

by Not A Bot on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 04:04:20 PM PDT

•  Indeed. I did mistype his name. (1+ / 0-)
        Not A Bot

He said in his tape that he gave a lot of thought to his actions, and also has been very careful about the sensitivity of the information he stole for Greenwald.  He just started working for BAH a few months ago.  Just how much thought do you think he gave this?  From Greenwald's tweets, it sounds like they had been working on this since Feburary, BEFORE he got the intel.

That's not civil disobedience, it's criminal.  We should be pissed at congress (as I have been for years) for passing the Patriot Act, FISA, etc. in the first place.  This shit's here to stay, unless there's a full reset in our government...and even then, not everyone will be happy with the result.

And no, I don't have a better solution.

by darthstar on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 04:19:54 PM PDT

•  Yes, we should be pissed at Congress, (0+ / 0-)

and at Bush, and at President Obama for extending the act.  Repealing it would be a good start, and maybe the Snowden kid was the snowflake that started an avalanche.  I don't know.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the definition of civil disobedience.  Sometimes laws need to be broken in order to initiate real change.

For this you went to college?

by Not A Bot on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 04:59:00 PM PDT

•  The "kid" is 29 years old (0+ / 0-)

Granted, he's been a serial dropout (high school, junior college, military service) so one can't assume he's very smart (intelligent, yes, and computer literate, but not smart).

I'd prefer my laws were broken by more forward thinking people and not some Ron Paul libertarian who may have been wooed by Glenn Greenwald to be his fall guy. (and no, I don't have any respect for Greenwald at present, for many reasons)  This reeks of an attempt to elevate the likes of Rand Paul...no thank you.

by darthstar on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:40:51 PM PDT

•  My apologies on the age thing. (0+ / 0-)

My eldest daughter is 65, and I still think of her as a kid.  My youngest daughter (of four) is 28, younger than several of my grandkids.  Quite a spread.  So, 29 is an adult, yes, but it's all relative -- I'm peering through my bifocals with Methuselah's eyes, or so it seems sometimes.

As to your point, I get what you're saying -- party over all, and if someone from another party/belief system does something that brings good, do everything possible to discredit them.  I just can't accept that for myself.  I'm perfectly willing to accept good from any source, and I see this exposure by Snowden as good.

I could be wrong.

For this you went to college?

by Not A Bot on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 07:15:12 PM PDT