View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Weekly Open Thread: What races are you interested in? (360 comments)

•  Got a challenge for the mapmakers (0+ / 0-)

Gerrymander/create a map where Utah could conceivably get two Congressional Democrats. One of the gerrymandered districts can have Matheson (so you can add in as much as an advantage as you think he'd get), but it has to be plausible (for a gerrymander) otherwise.

If that's too easy, get a two Dem gerrymander without Matheson.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 11:00:02 PM PDT

•  there already are a few maps out (1+ / 0-)
      James Allen

“Democrats legislate; Republicans investigate.” ~ Lyndon Johnson

by lordpet8 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 01:58:44 AM PDT

•  I got one (2+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, James Allen

It doesn't use touch point, and Matheson gets a better district than he did in the cleaner map.

photo utscrew.jpg

1: competitive district, Obama 52-45 in 2008.
      2: sink, McCain 74-23
      3: sink, McCain 77-20
      4: Matheson, McCain 54-43

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 03:25:05 PM PDT

•  Here's one I drew a while back that's very clean (2+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, sacman701

and effective in getting us Matheson secured and a liberal SLC Dem.

photo UTDem2-2overview_zpsda6fe3dc.jpg
       photo UTDem2-2SLC_zps00f80a85.jpg

The Matheson district is about the same partisan wise as his old and current one but has a lot more of his old territory. Romney obviously won the 4th, but it can easily support a mainstream Dem.
       photo UTDem2-2Data_zps6f2044cd.png

•  Excellent, all of them (0+ / 0-)

I didn't realize it was that easy to draw a 2-2 map. Thanks!

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 08:39:55 PM PDT

•  Well, 1-2-Matheson, more like (0+ / 0-)

"Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap—if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow—there's one thing you never—ever, put in a trap. …Me." -The Eleventh Doctor

by KingofSpades on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 08:53:02 PM PDT

•  Yeah, but I've finally accepted (0+ / 0-)

That he counts as a Democrat. Still not good enough, and I won't vote for him, but he can stay as long as he runs for statewide office later on and drag other Dem candidates up by his coattails.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:26:57 PM PDT

•  Do you live in his congressional district? (1+ / 0-)
              jncca

Because if so, your not voting for him may help cause his eventual electoral demise - something that I might add is remarkably selfish in light of his very needed vote for a Democratic speaker.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:31:06 PM PDT

•  Agreed (0+ / 0-)

like him or not, he could be a lot worse for a Democrat in this red a district.

by KingofSpades on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:45:05 PM PDT

•  He won't vote for a Democratic speaker (0+ / 0-)

and hasn't in the last two elections. And my problem is less that he won't vote for Democratic priorities (I realize that he's never going to do that), but more that he won't offer up any alternative (even if it's "more conservative Third Way/DLC"-esque crap) position. Yes, I get that he votes with Democrats slightly over half the time, but I'm willing to bet that is mostly on useless legislation. He should at least offer something different from Dems AND the GOP if he's a centrist Democrat. Also, of other times he's been in a new district, he does several percentage points better the second time around. So I'm not so worried about him losing.

And I think he'd be better as a Gubernatorial candidate, or even as state party chair anyway. I'm not opposed to him personally, just opposed to his attitude and performance in Congress. If he ran for Governor, I would be the first to donate to his campaign.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:50:19 PM PDT

•  You're kidding right? (0+ / 0-)

If there were a bare majority, Matheson would almost certainly vote for a Democratic speaker.

by wwmiv on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:52:41 PM PDT

•  I don't want to go down this line of conversation (0+ / 0-)

again, since I've hashed and rehashed it repeatedly. I've stated my views on Matheson, and there's always this line of conversation which never goes anywhere. Like the Schatz vs Hanabusa dealio, I don't think it should repeat itself. In fact wwmiv, I think I've debated with you specifically on Matheson. So I don't want to rehash the debate we've already had. I'll stand by my views, and everyone else can stand by theirs.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 10:14:23 PM PDT

•  Hold your nose and vote (0+ / 0-)

it's a simple routine.    I hope you decide to.  he needs all the votes he can get every election.

by KingofSpades on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 05:51:39 AM PDT

•  No, I meant (0+ / 0-)

1 Dem-tilting district, 2 safe GOP seats, and one district that only Matheson can win and hold.

by KingofSpades on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 09:46:32 PM PDT