View Diary: ALERT: High Risk For Destructive Derecho/Tornadoes Today From Iowa to Ohio, Maybe Further East (120 comments)

•  The most useful kind of radio is one that lets you (3+ / 0-)

program a SAME code into it.

When in alert mode, the radio is silent until a watch warning is issued for the county whose code you entered into the radio. At that point, a loud siren sounds and it switches the radio on to read off the warning from the weatherband. Most newer radios shut off when the computer finished reading off the warning.

Facebook
    If you say "gullible" real slow, it sounds like "green beans."

by weatherdude on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 12:24:29 PM PDT

•  That's good, are they smart enough to only go (0+ / 0-)

off once for each watch/warning that is issued instead of every time it is repeated on the weather band?  Because the one I have is completely analog (I think it listens for the beeps before a watch/warning on the weather band) and goes off every time a watch/warning is broadcast and since they are broadcast on a loop every so often that means constant alerts until it expires.  That's why I don't use it and instead rely on alert apps and the built in emergency alerts (which work just fine) on my phone.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 12:31:55 PM PDT

•  It might be well worth it to upgrade. (1+ / 0-)
        Throw The Bums Out

Can't ditto weatherdude enough on how vital my weather radios have been, working as WD describes for just those alerts I select to worry about.

Paid a bit over $30 for each of them 3 years ago, one battery change each since.  Two-story house, one for each floor.

Note that even if the wailing alarm doesn't wake/startle you, the red light will stay on for the duration of the alert.  So it may be wise to keep it/them in a place easily seen by inside passers-by.

Just my advice, based on 3-years' use in a moderately active weather region (southern Maryland).  FWIW.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 11.3 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:01:50 PM PDT

•  That's good, so yours only goes off once per (0+ / 0-)

watch/warning?  Because after all who wants to have an alarm go off every 5-10 minutes for the same flash flood warning that started at say 8:00pm and won't expire until 6:00am.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:11:09 PM PDT

•  Hmm. I'll check the booklet & get back to you. (0+ / 0-)

That's not been my mode of concern, since most alerts that worry me are tornado/severe thunderstorm warnings and are short-lived.  But I don't get away from the house much, so you might well need more.

I'll see if my models can give you periodic alarms as you suggest.  Be back shortly.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 11.3 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:18:45 PM PDT

•  No, the point is that it shouldn't keep giving (0+ / 0-)

alarms every 5-10 minutes like the older and purely analog radios did.  Otherwise you will just end up turning it off because you need to get some sleep and if you didn't it would go off all night until every watch/warning has expired.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:25:27 PM PDT

•  Sorry I misunderstood! (1+ / 0-)
                Throw The Bums Out

If I read you right, then, this critter should work well for your needs.  You'll learn soon enough which warnings are "too helpful" and which are essential, and you can program it to care for what you care about.

The area-specific and alert-specific programmability are priceless, though.  Just my personal recommendation.

Good luck!

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 11.3 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:36:10 PM PDT

•  Here's what I know: (0+ / 0-)

Midland WR-300/301s have only an alert siren or human voice reading the weather condition alert; each lasts 5 minutes, stoppable by pressing the "alert" button.  The screen readout continues to display for the duration of the alert, even if one stops the sounds.  (The "snooze" button is only for the alarm-clock mode.)

I don't see a recurring-alert feature on any of the other models from Midland, either.  Sorry.

But note that when a weather alert is updated (shortened, extended, cancelled), the radio alert comes on again.  In some cases (flash-flood warnings, tornado warnings) that feature has been almost too useful.

The WR-301 is still offered on Amazon, but there are cheaper versions with the programmable SAME features available.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 11.3 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:31:51 PM PDT

•  Ah, ok. The one I have goes off every time an (0+ / 0-)

alert is read.  Basically, if you are watching TV every time you see "the national weather service has issued" on the screen it will go off even if nothing has changed and it is the exact same thing you just saw/heard a couple of minutes ago.  Good to see the new ones don't constantly alarm on the same information over and over.

Also, does yours have a USB plug on the back for charging phones and such?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:36:15 PM PDT