View Diary: Scenes from Ed Markey's Boston rally with President Obama (64 comments)

•  Thanks for sharing this for those of us (9+ / 0-)

who couldn't go.

Roxbury is an African American neighborhood, for those that don't know. Next to mine. Sadly I can't go to anything like that...I can't stand in lines due to foot injury.. (It does occur to me I'd be disenfranchised easily in FL or OH or...or would have to find some other way to vote. Never any more than 5-10min wait here.)

Everyone who knows anyone in MA...PLEASE make sure they know that they NEED TO vote. I know nonpolitical Dems who say they aren't going to be around. Or won't commit to vote. When I talk to people so many don't know even the day of the election.

I'm putting that in every diary about this topic.

•  Really inspirational, positive diary, by the way (6+ / 0-)

You seeme pumped.
      When Markey gets going (like he did with his win speech for the nomination), he's pretty good.

I met someone who knows him from working for years on campaigns. For what it's worth, he says he's a very nice guy and good to his staff. Anecdotal, I know. But nice to hear.

•  I've had the chance (4+ / 0-)

to meet Markey a few times now. We haven't had long conversations but he always seemed nice. Not the case of every politician. Some of them seem a bit nasty or phony right off.

"I am not for a return to that definition of Liberty under which for many years a free people were being gradually regimented into the service of the privileged few." Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1934

by fenway49 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 07:31:23 AM PDT

•  He's a good guy (2+ / 0-)
          fenway49, Onomastic

and will make a good Senator.

Not exactly the most charismatic guy in politics, but, so what. He gets things done. If we get the voters to the polls, we'll win this without any trouble.

(Gomez being a real fourth rate dork is a big help, too ...)

The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

by raboof on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 08:50:56 AM PDT

•  I agree...get people to care about this election (2+ / 0-)
            fenway49, raboof

I've people express irritation at the multitude of votes for Senator. Tired of it, they say.

I say, yet we must push through that. It does in fact matter more than almost ever. Think of the people in FL who had to wait nine hours in line to vote for who they wanted. We have the luxury of utter convenience...almost no lines.

I have two layers of concern. I want Markey to win and thus want higher turnout, but the Patriot in me is also distressed that people seem to not be interested.

My parents were first generation American (though assimilated so you'd not know that by meeting them) and brought us to the polls when they voted. The honor, duty, and privilege in voting was imbued in us. My parents made it important and special.

•  I met him once, when he just started to run (2+ / 0-)
          fenway49, Onomastic

We exchanged just a sentence and a thanks for your support. I didn't even know who he was beforehand so wanted to watch him with people and see. Just a snapshot impression-he was a good listener and was warm interpersonally.

I was glad because my (Dem) friend felt he was sort of tired DC insider going through the motions. I made her watch his acceptance speech (for party nomination). He wants this, he wants to continue and extend his good work, and he cares. He isn't taking this for granted. I"ve been pleased with watching him campaign, more and more.

•  Agreed (2+ / 0-)
            Onomastic, raboof

I think he's much better one-on-one than with big crowds or on TV (although his speech to yesterday's rally was electric).

Whoever says he's not trying is wrong.

by fenway49 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 12:03:35 PM PDT

•  He's a very nice guy (5+ / 0-)
        jplanner, fenway49, abs0628, Onomastic, raboof

And very strong, when it's important (aka, on the issues). Note: he not only has not been afraid to support women's and LGBT rights, he has embraces them loudly and proudly.

My Mom volunteered on some of his early campaigns. I was a bit too young to be really involved, but I remember seeing him with a big smile most of the time.

•  I think it's harder for introverts and partial (5+ / 0-)

introverts in politics. Maybe Markey is one. So he doesn't come across as a hot ticket (ie charismatic). Charisma moves people en masse sometimes. But much of the work of the House and Senate seems to be in individual relationships. By all accounts of what I've heard he's like personally (including here), he scores well. Plus politically we've also heard that he has the respect of good people and makes alliances well with individuals.

He seems to be someone with integrity to what he believes. He will hit the ground running with the connections, experience, and understanding of how things work in DC. Senate power has often been about seniority and MA has lost SO MUCH in loosing Kennedy and Kerry nearly at the same time. We are lucky to have gotten Warren and Markey, with his experience, will help us also. MA would be making a big mistake to pass over someone like him for someone superficially more charismatic.

•  Excellent points (4+ / 0-)

I've met him several times and chatted several times. He actually votes @ my precinct in Malden, lives not far from me.

I think you may be right on target that he's a bit of a shy/introverted person who has had to motivate himself to overcome that his whole life. But who the heck cares? More power to him, I say. He gets unfairly (imo) compared to Elizabeth Warren's very extroverted/engaging personality. Honestly most of us would fail in that comparison :-)

And I totally agree w/ radical simplicity's point that he has really stuck out his neck on women's rights and LGBT rights, for decades. That's the proof in the pudding. And believe me the women's and LGBT groups/leaders here in Mass know this about him -- and they are working their behinds off for him.

"The country we carry in our hearts is waiting." ~ Bruce Springsteen

by abs0628 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 12:59:03 PM PDT

•  Get the date out - Tuesday, June 25! (2+ / 0-)
      JoanMar, brook

Great point.

We're doing what we can near me to turn out as many voters as we can. Let's just remember that a base election generally will favor Democrats and that Markey won the primary 57-43 with low turnout.

But rest assured the campaign has been working for months to identify supporters and is now working to make sure they vote on Election Day.

by fenway49 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 09:48:03 PM PDT

•  That's the only thing to worry about. (0+ / 0-)

Turnout was very low for the primary here in Markey's congressional district. I was a little concerned. Make those calls election day!

by raboof on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 08:53:01 AM PDT