View Diary: The Daily Bucket - one crow nest (79 comments)

•  It's 72F and cloudy in Gooseville with more (11+ / 0-)

Tstorms expected tonight.

A new pair of bluebirds have moved into the yard to start a family. I'm delighted. We now have 2 pairs. I'm also looking forward to the rose-breasted grosbeaks bringing their little ones to the feeders.

Last year I diaried about snapping turtles digging nests in the yard at this time. It's been a cold wet spring so I'm sure they'll show up soon.

I love nature, science and my dogs.

by Polly Syllabic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 01:12:40 PM PDT

•  Cool turtle pix! (11+ / 0-)

It looks a bit like one I saw in the holler last week, but the coloring is a little brighter. Think it's snapping, but maybe younger? Or male?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It made a lot of noise coming through the leaves, or I probably wouldn't have seen it. (It's going down the path toward the creek.)

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 02:48:31 PM PDT

•  That's a box turtle cotter. Looks like a three (11+ / 0-)

toed, which is one of the two species we have up here. They're strictly land turtles never entering the water on purpose, although they do manage to fall in occasionally. They float like corks, can't sink, too buoyant.Very cool turtles. They are common here but I believe they are on the decline , due mostly to being run over I think. I see dozens of road kills every year just in my short travels. Pick one up and examine it next time you see one, they aren't aggressive in anyway. I've probably handled over a hundred in my life and have never had one show any inclination to bite. Most withdraw into the shell and close the doors but some will stay outside and just wait until you set them back down. They are extraordinary animals.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon

by burnt out on Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 03:08:31 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the great info! (9+ / 0-)

When I was a kid, we used to pick up turtles that were in the road, put them in a box, and take them home as "pets." Heh. We always let them go the same day, but probably really confused them about where they were.

We were always told they went on the pavement to warm up, but if I see any more on the road this year, I may just take it upon myself to move them. Hate to see them squashed!

by cotterperson on Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 03:14:34 PM PDT

•  I used to pick them up and bring them home and (9+ / 0-)

release them in the yard. My kids and grandkids brought me many too.  But I was informed a couple  years ago that they have a homing instinct and will spend years if necessary trying to get back home, so I stopped bringing them home after that. Now I just move them off the road.

But in truth, I think that some may not try to go home and will just settle in wherever they are relocated if conditions suit them. I say that because, long after I stopped bringing them home, we still have uncommonly high numbers of them here. More than anywhere else I've ever been, and I have to believe that's got something to do with all of them that I brought home in the past. No two have identical markings and some are very distinct and there are a couple that I know for sure are long time residents here, but they may have been born here and not ones that I brought in.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon

by burnt out on Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 03:36:12 PM PDT

•  Lots of orange on the neck. (5+ / 0-)

The four or five here are missing color. Except for Purple. The grandkids next door sprayed adhesive and poured purple sparkle on on. Thus his name of Purple. Every year it gets less obvious.

Snappy, the big one, will walk up & tap us on the foot when he wants attention. As far as I know, they don't make a sound. Got to be brave if you want the humans to know you're there.

"I stand alone and take back somethin' worth rememberin'"

by Robert Helmuth on Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 08:15:59 PM PDT