View Diary: Al Gore claims he invented the Internet (30 comments)

•  Al Gore (0+ / 0-)

Did invent the internet as we know it through a series of recommendations for how to spin off government research to commercial entities.

Doubt that he ever said directly, "I invented the internet."  in the sense that he invented the technology.

In this case, Rep. Nadler is going to have to be a little more explicit about what he heard at the briefing in order to prove that Declan McCullough had it all wrong.

I notice that McCullough updated his article with a correction.

50 states, 210 media market, 435 Congressional Districts, 3080 counties, 192,480 precincts

by TarheelDem on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 02:33:17 PM PDT

•  Yes, but Al Gore didn't say he invtented the (9+ / 0-)

internet.  And the evidence coming out is showing that the CNET article is being more sensational than factual.

"But the problem with any ideology is that it gives the answer before you look at the evidence." - President Clinton

by anonevent on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 02:47:34 PM PDT

•  CNET has updated its article (0+ / 0-)

...in response to Nadler's statements.  Read the updated version.

There is the need for independent investigation of the allegations made and of what exactly NSA is doing.  Nadler cannot as a member of Congress repeat exactly what he was told or talk too directly about it.  He is partially gagged by the fact it was a secret briefing.

by TarheelDem on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 02:52:45 PM PDT

•  First saw me some internet in 1979 (1+ / 0-)
          chmood

Something the size of a typewritter with a molded plastic modem cradle, that could text to another similar machine.

Well really it was texting or IM over a phone line.

.................expect us......................... FDR 9-23-33, "If we cannot do this one way, we will do it another way. But do it we will.

by Roger Fox on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 03:02:07 PM PDT

•  Not exactly (1+ / 0-)
            Roger Fox

...the "information superhighway".

I first saw the internet with a downloaded Mosaic browser.  Main WOW attraction was the Austrian State Library System's catalog.  You could actually do searches for authors, titles, etc.  It wasn't all static documents.

by TarheelDem on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 03:45:23 PM PDT

•  No one can deny that Gore was instrumental.... (7+ / 0-)

....in establishing the Internet as a public resource. More so than anyone else in the government.

The slimy slander part was when the Republican noise machine tacked on the word "invented."  Clever!

To illustrate, compare:

"Eisenhower was instrumental in establishing the interstate highway system."   Historical fact.

"Eisenhower claims he invented highways."  What a conceited goof!

"I wonder why Congress again in a new poll out today--11% approval rating. (It's) because they don't work for us. They work for the sons-of-bitches who pay them." Cenk Uygur

by Dave in Columbus on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 03:06:53 PM PDT

•  "I PRACTICALLY INVENTED the internet" (0+ / 0-)

said Al to Barbara Walters, back in '99(?), when she interviewed Al and Tipper in prime-time.

Yes, he really did.  For some unknown reason, I was watching it, and I heard it...so I'd love to see folks stop saying it never happened.

Show me the whisky stains on the floor
        Show me an old drunkard as he stumbles to the door
        And I'll see a young man with so many reasons why...
        ...and there, but for FORTUNE, go you - or I... - thanks, Phil

by chmood on Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 10:54:01 PM PDT

•  Even if so, everyone knew what he meant (0+ / 0-)

That anyone would think Gore actually tried to lay claim to personally building and programming the devices that first constituted an Internet is ludicrous. He was taking credit for his legislative successes, like any politician worth his salt would.

Actually met McCullagh once and argued with him about this very story, although at the time I didn't know he was the "I invented the Internet" guy. When I realized it a while later, it certainly explained why he was so worked up and dismissive about it!

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:42:27 AM PDT

•  "That very story" = Gore/Internet, not NSA (0+ / 0-)

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:57:42 AM PDT

•  NO idea WHO you're name-dropping, nor do I care (0+ / 0-)

Piling up he-saids and she-saids isn't going to help you.  Or me.

Or the country.  But keep playing if it's fun for you.

Show me the whisky stains on the floor
              Show me an old drunkard as he stumbles to the door
              And I'll see a young man with so many reasons why...
              ...and there, but for FORTUNE, go you - or I... - thanks, Phil

by chmood on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 06:21:50 AM PDT

•  The Net of massive commercial powers and ISPs (0+ / 0-)

as Swiftian gatekeepers is his creature, if not his expilict intent.

That anyone would push an emotion-based 'argument' about how the wrong-wing mangles things for political purposes, puts them not so far from Hannity's plaintive-aggressive "you know what he meant", back in the days of Dubya's massive misspeakage.

Oh:  "Even if so..."  Am I a liar now?  You were watching the same cozy interview and he DIDN'T say it?  Then CALL me a liar like you got a pair, and post the clip - or quit your partisan talk-radio weaseling.  Thank you.

Show me the whisky stains on the floor
            Show me an old drunkard as he stumbles to the door
            And I'll see a young man with so many reasons why...
            ...and there, but for FORTUNE, go you - or I... - thanks, Phil