View Diary: Senators who Voted No on Background Checks will NOW have to Face the Music (172 comments)

•  the first amendment is now restricted to 10 words. (1+ / 0-)
    FrankRose
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion
    Leave the other 25 out at your peril. The self-fulfilling prophecy will take effect. The current free-speech-for-all  tea party will be history.
    Because press owners are costly and I'm talking about those who won't exercise 24/7 press responsibility.

Because free speech is only free in relation to the establishment of religion, right?  because thats how the amendment is worded...

And the press isn't allowed to report (leak) information that the government doesn't like either (unless it pertains to religion).

The 12 v. 26 word 2nd amendment argument if yours is  absurd.  At least its less childish then "ooopsie".

•  My seeds are starting to grow. I'm happy with the (1+ / 0-)
      coquiero

sprouts. My plants will stop the oopsie. Oopisie is the child killer.  See GunFAIL.

Lack of 24/7 gun responsibility is oopsie with guns.

Granny is my back-up.

Oopsie I left my loaded gun on a merry-go-round. That's OK granny is my back-up.

A loaded gun on a merry-go-round, how childish.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26:21 PM PDT

•  And like I've told you before... (2+ / 0-)

Mr I-broke-the-law-carrying-into-a-theme-park... broke the law!  Thats not childish.  thats criminal.

There are already laws in place to deal with your strawman.

•  The right of the people to bear arms shall not be (0+ / 0-)

infringed. Oppsie is understood. Haw haw haw that was close.

Lista was asked to leave the property for the rest of the day, and the gun was confiscated for safe keeping. He was told he could pick it up from the sheriff's office evidence department.

The sheriff's office said the case was closed.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:41:57 PM PDT

•  So, is your beef with me, or the Sheriff? (1+ / 0-)
            Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker

I don't live in Florida, and I don't hold elected office.

Is your problem that the Sheriff is not enforcing existing laws?  By golly, another law ought to fix that, right?  I mean, you have a sheriff selectively enforcing laws, you maybe with a new law, you might get lucky with him enforcing it, right?

•  My beef with you is your commas, semi-colons (1+ / 0-)
              coquiero

and periods.

Your innocence about laws. Your name calling - straw man. Your spouting that my straw man was just so weak because of all those 'laws' that don't exist.

Gun owners always have a way out. 'It's not me.' 'It's not MY fault.' Right up until the time the 2 yo old is bleeding out on the living room floor. Then it's oopsie that was tragic.

It makes me angry and I can barely speak civilly.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:59:16 PM PDT

•  Currently a misdemeanor mostly ignored which is (2+ / 0-)
              coquiero, dream weaver

why I campaign for a felony.

1. Felony failure to secure a deadly weapon regardless of outcome, loss of privilege to own a gun for a period of years.

2. Felony 'accidental' discharge of a deadly weapon regardless of outcome, loss of privilege to own a gun for a period of years.

And the Gun parTEA toters call me every name in the book.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 01:03:00 PM PDT

•  a few flaws in logic... (1+ / 0-)
                Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker
                This will never happen because under your law, a weapon, even though it's properly secured, leads to a felony.  Furthermore, in some areas, (like Chicago and Rockford) felonies are so politicized that ADA and ASA's cannot lodge a felony charge without direction from the actual DA/SA.  The will simply isn't there.
                Most localities have laws pertaining to discharge period.  There are no 'accidental' discharge laws within city limits, any discharge is a crime (self defense is an affirmative defense against this charge).  When you're out of the city limits, discharge isn't a crime as long as you're more then 400m from another dwelling.
                •  You might be confusing a felony that has prison (1+ / 0-)
                  coquiero

associated. These felonies do not.

The will is there.

You're talking about misdemeanor nod nod wink wink laws. Since 12-14 I have been astounded with the sloppy gun handling tolerated by those who know their way around guns. Each new revelation of this lackadaisical gun responsibility leaves me barely able to maintain a civil tongue.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59:15 PM PDT

•  So what exactly are you saying, your gun is going (1+ / 0-)
      coquiero

to save the right to peaceably assemble?

I was talking about what the NRA has done to the 2nd Amendment.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:29:21 PM PDT

•  Bzzzt, try again. alagorys for $100 Alex. (1+ / 0-)
        Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker

The 2nd amendment covers two separate topics, closely related, separated by comas, ended with a period.  26 words, two rights, one amendment.

The 1st amendment covers four separated topics, closely related, separated by comas and semicolons, ended with a period.  35 words, four rights, one amendment.

Trying to infer that the people's RKBA is somehow tied to the state's militia is about as good as trying to argue that the right to speak/print freely is only tied to right of freedom of/from religion.

•  I think you are very wrong here. (1+ / 0-)
          coquiero

the Gun ParTEA isn't going to win here. The belly-up-to-the-bar is not a method of gun control. As more and more people figure out that it is a free-for-all guns for everyone and as more and more children are killed each week. Well, I wouldn't want to be you with your theories.

It's not going away.

The Newtown parents are still reeling from the loss of their children. They have a cause. We are behind them.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 12:46:41 PM PDT

•  Are you basing that on the one poll... (1+ / 0-)
            Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker

where 90% of America thinks universal background checks is a good idea?

Whereby, some portion of that number (sadly obscured) consists of gun owners, who pass a 'universal background check' every time they buy a new gun by filling out form 4473?

Whereby, some portion of that number, lives in states where UBC's are already existing law (illinois, among others)?

A good portion of that 90% thinks UBC's are a good idea and are already living under UBC laws.

Do you mean to conflate that 90% of the people want more gun control?  The polls don't say that.

•  BTW regarding the newtown parents... (1+ / 0-)
            Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker

I feel they're being used.

•  Soon all the parents who lost children to guns (1+ / 0-)
              coquiero

will join them.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 01:04:40 PM PDT

•  Adam Walsh was murdered 1981. (1+ / 0-)
              coquiero

His dad didn't get a law until 2006.

We have 20 parents fighting on this one.

The Code Adam program for helping lost children in department stores is named in Walsh's memory. The U.S. Congress passed the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act on July 25, 2006, and President Bush signed it into law on July 27, 2006.
              They aren't going away or being used any more than Adam Walsh's dad went away or was being used.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 01:09:55 PM PDT

•  So in your opinnion.... (1+ / 0-)
                Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker

Firearm owners are in the same moral category as child kidnappers/molesters?

They caught the guy who murdered Adam, but botched the trial.

As a result, the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act made it illegal to be male right?  Because it was a guy who did that to poor Adam, and using your logic akin to gun owners all men are just as guilty as the one who killed Adam?

Such tortured logic!

•  You are off to the races again. NO. (1+ / 0-)
                  coquiero

What I am saying is that parents of murdered children don't give up. Even if it takes 20 years.

I don't understand why you think I think you are so bad. The laws I want - you wouldn't even notice.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 10:18:24 PM PDT

•  You are so hard to talk to. We were discussing (1+ / 0-)
                  coquiero

parents of murdered children. All of the sudden I am calling you a murder molester. I can barely keep up.

All I am asking is that the people who own guns control their guns. You do. I am not talking to you or about you. If all gun owners were like you, we would not be having this conversation.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA